The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Legend
Posts: 3495
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by ukcanuck » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:29 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:15 pm
Zemtac wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:05 pm
Benning should get 3 more years. He has done a great job with what he was given to work with and has done exactly what was asked of him from the beginning. Most importantly, he has built our Prospect Pool up better than it has ever been. We have prospects leading their respective leagues all around the world. One setting a generational pace, another fighting for Rookie of the year, another for a Hobey Baker Award!!! I for one am excited about seeing what Benning and Co. draft in the next draft. That is what we should be focusing on, that is the meat and potatoes!!! Boeser, Pettersson, Gaudette, Demko, BFG, Dahlin, Lind, Gad, Virt, Pouliet, Stetch, Goldy, and next years draft. Sure you can bitch about the odd move, which most of will be cleared out by the time the core is moving into place!!! But when have we had such high end prospect coming up throught the lineup, never. We always traded for others scraps that fortunetely from time to time, like Naslund worked out!!! Burkes trading and drafting the Sedin's set us up for a Decade with the WCE ahead of them (Note: every player on the WCE was a traded player) Again, you win from building from within and this is the best this Franchise has ever had by a wide margin and some Jack Asses don't want to continue on with this trend!!! Only Canuck fans!!!
+ 1
Exfuckingactly

Zemtac
CC Veteran
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:29 pm

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Zemtac » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:37 pm

ukcanuck wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:29 pm
Strangelove wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:15 pm
Zemtac wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:05 pm
Benning should get 3 more years. He has done a great job with what he was given to work with and has done exactly what was asked of him from the beginning. Most importantly, he has built our Prospect Pool up better than it has ever been. We have prospects leading their respective leagues all around the world. One setting a generational pace, another fighting for Rookie of the year, another for a Hobey Baker Award!!! I for one am excited about seeing what Benning and Co. draft in the next draft. That is what we should be focusing on, that is the meat and potatoes!!! Boeser, Pettersson, Gaudette, Demko, BFG, Dahlin, Lind, Gad, Virt, Pouliet, Stetch, Goldy, and next years draft. Sure you can bitch about the odd move, which most of will be cleared out by the time the core is moving into place!!! But when have we had such high end prospect coming up throught the lineup, never. We always traded for others scraps that fortunetely from time to time, like Naslund worked out!!! Burkes trading and drafting the Sedin's set us up for a Decade with the WCE ahead of them (Note: every player on the WCE was a traded player) Again, you win from building from within and this is the best this Franchise has ever had by a wide margin and some Jack Asses don't want to continue on with this trend!!! Only Canuck fans!!!
+ 1
Exfuckingactly
Let's hope Ownership see's it our way!!!

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2254
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:47 pm

Zemtac wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:05 pm
Benning should get 3 more years. He has done a great job with what he was given to work with and has done exactly what was asked of him from the beginning. Most importantly, he has built our Prospect Pool up better than it has ever been. We have prospects leading their respective leagues all around the world. One setting a generational pace, another fighting for Rookie of the year, another for a Hobey Baker Award!!! I for one am excited about seeing what Benning and Co. draft in the next draft. That is what we should be focusing on, that is the meat and potatoes!!! Boeser, Pettersson, Gaudette, Demko, BFG, Dahlin, Lind, Gad, Virt, Pouliet, Stetch, Goldy, and next years draft.
JB does have some great pieces and it looks like he has some great potential pieces coming as well.

Premier sniper: Brockstar *check*
Potential snipers: [another dumb name] + Dahlen

Premier top 2-way centre: BoHo *check*
Another potential top 2-way centre: Gaudette

Premier top faceoff monster, shutdown centre: Sutter *check*

Premier top tuff nasty shut down D-men: Guddy + Tryamkin *check*

Potential first line skilled playmaking centre: Petterson

Potential top 10 starting goaltender: Demko

Potential top 2-way D-man: Juolevi

Potential premier power forwards: Jake + Gadjovich

Potential top 2-way winger: Lind.

The only thing that JB is really missing is a top enforcer that Dorsett kind of left void (which is not too tuff to find) and a top PP quarterback D-man (which is really tuff to find). There's still Pouliot, Stecher and Hutty who could potentially be that top PP D-man, but right now it doesn't look like it'll happen. Pouliot is inconsistent and skating seems suspect at times. Stecher skates and moves the puck well, but is kind of small. Hutty skates well and has great poise, but is also inconsistent and can't really hammer it from the point.

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:25 pm
Location: New Westminster

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:44 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:47 pm
Premier top tuff nasty shut down D-men: Guddy + Tryamkin *check*
?

This part is in some doubt.

Tryamkin may well become a 'premier top tuff nasty shut down D-man', but he is not *check*, in the sense that he is not playing for the Canucks right now. We have only dearly-held hopes that he might again.

Gudranson is also not *check* in the sense that he is not signed beyond the end of this season. Furthermore, while he is convincingly 'tuff/nasty', the 'premier top shut down part' has yet to materialize.

I agree the rest is encouraging, but the defence -- and pipeline of defencemen -- is cause for concern. The Oilers have a lot of talented forwards, too, and it's not looking so good for them right now. Drafting R. Dahlin would go a long way to rounding things out, but even a genius can't manipulate lottery balls.

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3968
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Reefer2 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:04 pm

Listening to TL on the radio I am not betting on Benning coming back. Never heard a President or what ever title he has, talking like a GM.

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2254
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:05 pm

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:44 pm
This part is in some doubt.

Tryamkin may well become a 'premier top tuff nasty shut down D-man', but he is not *check*, in the sense that he is not playing for the Canucks right now. We have only dearly-held hopes that he might again.

Gudranson is also not *check* in the sense that he is not signed beyond the end of this season. Furthermore, while he is convincingly 'tuff/nasty', the 'premier top shut down part' has yet to materialize.

I agree the rest is encouraging, but the defence -- and pipeline of defencemen -- is cause for concern.
*hehe* Fair point. I was having a bit of fun with the post and I like both Tryamkinsaurus and Guddy, so I just slotted them in.

I forgot 2 I should add:

Premier 2-way versatile forward: Granny *check*

Middle grade flashy forward: Bearcheese. *check* :P
Reefer2 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:04 pm
Listening to TL on the radio I am not betting on Benning coming back. Never heard a President or what ever title he has, talking like a GM.
Hmmm... maybe Trev is seeing a chance for himself much like MG back in the day. Let JB do the grunt work to assemble the foundational core pieces, then Trev makes himself prez + GM just when the team is starting to trend upwards. Trev's end game is for himself only to take all the glory when the team is good again. *LOL*

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7942
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Island Nucklehead » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:04 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:05 pm
Hmmm... maybe Trev is seeing a chance for himself much like MG back in the day. Let JB do the grunt work to assemble the foundational core pieces, then Trev makes himself prez + GM just when the team is starting to trend upwards. Trev's end game is for himself only to take all the glory when the team is good again. *LOL*
I'd rather keep Benning.

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 4892
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by micky107 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:39 am

Trevor does love to be loved. He even has his Cub 16 ads playing during NFL playoff games. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I thing Benning simply loves his work and although he must like some recognition, don't think it's a big deal.
None the less, we are stuck with this new multi-level management format and it aint goin anywhere now.
Hell, I still can't grasp the concept of having so many asst. coaches. Too many cooks. :crazy:
"evolution"

User avatar
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Rocky Dennis » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:32 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:04 pm
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:05 pm
Hmmm... maybe Trev is seeing a chance for himself much like MG back in the day. Let JB do the grunt work to assemble the foundational core pieces, then Trev makes himself prez + GM just when the team is starting to trend upwards. Trev's end game is for himself only to take all the glory when the team is good again. *LOL*
I'd rather keep Benning.
Count me as one that thinks Benning should stay but will end up being given the heave ho. He should hope for a continued strong finish by brock and bo (and to a lesser extent the other prospects of note showing well this year) - that MIGHT save him. While anything with Benning has yet to happen, this club has started to remind me of NFL Washington who have gone steadily downhill since meddling owner Dan Snyder bought the team in '99. Eight head coaches and at least five different gms, always distracted by the latest shiny new FA, and over involvement in player personel decisions etc. Im indifferent to football these days so i could be mistaken, but i dont think washington even has an official gm currently. Anyone think this sort of cockamamy structure that IN mentioned could be coming to Vancouver? Its two different sports and Its not quite at the same stage of disaster but i see parallells between washington and vancouver that, as a fan, are worrisome.

Linc
CC Rookie
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 10:38 am

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Linc » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:10 am

While it is worrisome that Benning does not have a contract yet, I don't think that Linden speaking to the media is a sign that he is seeking the GM job. My sense has been that Benning is uncomfortable in the media and that he prefers to have Linden do more of the media relations part of the GM job. Linden has been doing this for awhile.

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3968
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Reefer2 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:48 am

Linc wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:10 am
While it is worrisome that Benning does not have a contract yet, I don't think that Linden speaking to the media is a sign that he is seeking the GM job. My sense has been that Benning is uncomfortable in the media and that he prefers to have Linden do more of the media relations part of the GM job. Linden has been doing this for awhile.
Yes and no, unless they specifically have divided up the responsibilities of each role certain questions should be answered by the GM. He is supposed to be the hockey guy while TL is the operations guy.

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9877
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Topper » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:13 am

In the words of Brian Burke "lame duck".
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 11423
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:01 pm

Topper wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:13 am
In the words of Brian Burke "lame duck".
Funny thing is Elmer is among a pack of quacking lame duckies. Maybe the owners are tired of paying GMs and coaches for three and four years after they fired them.
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:25 pm
Location: New Westminster

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:50 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:19 am

....Benning has done more good than bad.....
This a defensible position. I happen to disagree, but it is defensible. It is also, however, a good ways short of "Benning is a genius !"

Are you off the genius train ?

User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend
Posts: 5144
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Uncle dans leg » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:57 pm

My take on the Current State of the Rebuild and our GM is one of positive optimism. Never before have we had so many promising young talents all maturing at the same time. Its been a very good job done by Benning at dafting and an average job done on contracts and trades.

I wonder if he'll be around still when they contend?
nobody forks...with the jesus

Post Reply