The Great Jim Benning Debate! (And personal insult thread)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote:
Ronning's Ghost wrote:You keep losing the plot, RD. The thread is not 'The Great Mike Gillis Debate'. Whether or not Mike Gillis was any good is no longer relevant, and of very limited interest.

You're not even helping your argument for Jim Benning's competence. If you insist that Mike Gillis was an absolutely terrible GM, and then argue that Jim Benning is better, then there's still room for Benning to be pretty bad, if the best thing you can say about him is that he's better than a GM you consider to be terrible.

How about comparing Benning to Sam Pollock ?
Listen RG Bunker did ya dig Gilleye's first 3 years at the draft table or were you not cool with it? Shit I don't know how anyone in their right mind could be cool with it, maybe the mad Sicilian - Roberto Macenzzi but that is just about it. The Canucks have zilch from Gilleyes first 3 years at the draft table! Zilch! Hell, Benning did better in the 2nd and 3rd round of his first draft than Gilleye did in ALL the rounds of his first 3 drafts. Gawd fucking awful I tell ya.
If, as a long-time Benning skeptic, I concede that Benning started in a disadvantageous position, can we just move on from there and keep this thread about how good a job he has done of managing his way forward out of that position ?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
If, as a long-time Benning skeptic, I concede that Benning started in a disadvantageous position?
I am stunned, RG Bunker!

They are finally admitting it, my mission may be over. Doc you see this?

What an admission, thank you, RG
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Ronning's Ghost wrote:You keep losing the plot, RD. The thread is not 'The Great Mike Gillis Debate'. Whether or not Mike Gillis was any good is no longer relevant, and of very limited interest.

You're not even helping your argument for Jim Benning's competence. If you insist that Mike Gillis was an absolutely terrible GM, and then argue that Jim Benning is better, then there's still room for Benning to be pretty bad, if the best thing you can say about him is that he's better than a GM you consider to be terrible.

How about comparing Benning to Sam Pollock ?
Listen RG Bunker did ya dig Gilleye's first 3 years at the draft table or were you not cool with it? Shit I don't know how anyone in their right mind could be cool with it, maybe the mad Sicilian - Roberto Macenzzi but that is just about it. The Canucks have zilch from Gilleyes first 3 years at the draft table! Zilch! Hell, Benning did better in the 2nd and 3rd round of his first draft than Gilleye did in ALL the rounds of his first 3 drafts. Gawd fucking awful I tell ya.
If, as a long-time Benning skeptic, I concede that Benning started in a disadvantageous position, can we just move on from there and keep this thread about how good a job he has done of managing his way forward out of that position ?
If that means; Let's stop dwelling in the past and move forward, HOORAY !!!

If not, let's start connecting ALL the dots and keep going in reverse; Nonis left? Burke left? Quinn left? and go all the back to 1970.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
Ronning's Ghost wrote:
If, as a long-time Benning skeptic, I concede that Benning started in a disadvantageous position?
I am stunned, RG Bunker!

I think we all know that Elmer walked into a situation that wasn't ideal and the team was barren of young talent. It doesn't excuse some of the blunders he has made in his three years here.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Ronning's Ghost wrote:
I am stunned, RG Bunker!

I think we all know that Elmer walked into a situation that wasn't ideal and the team was barren of young talent. It doesn't excuse some of the blunders he has made in his three years here.
Your two cents on Bennings drafting in his first 3 years compared to Gillis first 3 years? Listen Blob, when you are stealing the Demkos, Tryamkins, Gaudettes, Lockwoods, Brisebios, way outside the first round that is nothing short of genius. Do you feel that drafting well is key to the Canucks getting back to its former glory? The glory that Gillis single handedly destroyed!!!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Every team has Gaudette , Lockwood and Brisebois type prospects. None of these guys has proven a thing. Tryamkin was a good pick but he wants nothing to do with this organization.Elmer will be judged on Boeser, Juolevi, Virtanen, McCann and this years pick.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Gillis was in a do or die situation with aging vets his window was "now" so to speak. A lot like Dallas right now, in that scenario you don't protect your pics as hard as maybe they should. To me that's why gillis drafting sucked he put it all out there for the ... now.

We pay for it in the present but if we had a cup it wouldn't be as painful
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Every team has Gaudette , Lockwood and Brisebois type prospects. None of these guys has proven a thing. Tryamkin was a good pick but he wants nothing to do with this organization.Elmer will be judged on Boeser, Juolevi, Virtanen, McCann and this years pick.
Gaudette ranked 40th on Craig Buttons Top 50 prospects list. Pierre MaGuire drools over Gaudette but that don't matter, just McCann matters who never made the top 50 list, whom the Panthers are not happy with but we got Gudbranson for? Boeser drafted 23rd overall was ranked 15th if memory serves. How'd you like Boesers play when
We signed him? Demko made the list as well, but that don't matter
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

What does Craig Button think of Jake Virtanen ?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

rats19 wrote:Gillis was in a do or die situation with aging vets his window was "now" so to speak. A lot like Dallas right now, in that scenario you don't protect your pics as hard as maybe they should. To me that's why gillis drafting sucked he put it all out there for the ... now.

Um so because of that weird logic he should not care about drafting well with the picks they had at the draft? Just phone it in, "pick whoever, I don't give a Rats ass"?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:What does Craig Button think of Jake Virtanen ?
The book isn't written on Jake yet. Power Forward Wingers take a little longer. I guarantee you Jake will play a big factor with this new culture Benning is farming here. Patience Grasshopper
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

RoyalDude wrote:
rats19 wrote:Gillis was in a do or die situation with aging vets his window was "now" so to speak. A lot like Dallas right now, in that scenario you don't protect your pics as hard as maybe they should. To me that's why gillis drafting sucked he put it all out there for the ... now.

Um so because of that weird logic he should not care about drafting well with the picks they had at the draft? Just phone it in, "pick whoever, I don't give a Rats ass"?
Yeano kinda , but the lack of picks aided to the disaster, the ones traded away...

Also to clarify... I am not saying he did good...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

He needed to follow the Detroit model and get lucky in the later rounds.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Just because Todd Bertuzzi took a while to develop doesn't mean power forwards take any longer to develop than any other player. Eric Lindros, Brendan Shanahan, Milan Lucic, Keith Tkachuk, and Cam Neely say hi.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cornuck wrote:He needed to follow the Detroit model and get lucky in the later rounds.
Benning does well outside the first round, what's Gillis excuse? Only Hutton in 6 drafts? My gawd man!