The Great Jim Benning Debate! (And personal insult thread)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

If Etem, Vey, Granlund,Pedan, Tryamkin, Gaunce and Larson on on this roster as full time players I don't see them making the playoffs. That's a full 1/3 of a roster right there. They are all borderline NHL players at best.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:If Etem, Vey, Granlund,Pedan, Tryamkin, Gaunce and Larson on on this roster as full time players I don't see them making the playoffs. That's a full 1/3 of a roster right there. They are all borderline NHL players at best.
I'd say Pedan, Tryamkin, Gaunce and Larson are all unknown quantities at this point. What is encouraging is that young players are progressing in this franchise, whether in the NHL or on the farm. From what we've seen the past 2 seasons, its possible that any of those 4 will grab a spot out of camp.

If Etem, Vey and/or Granlund make any progress from this year, I think they can find a spot on the team. If they don't, well, there's probably someone on the farm who can take their place.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Totally agree with Blob (borderline), fill ins for the time being.
If upgrades are possible for Benning, DO IT :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
One third (or more) of the line up is too much and another tank year.
!0,000 fans per game.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:If Etem, Vey, Granlund,Pedan, Tryamkin, Gaunce and Larson on on this roster as full time players I don't see them making the playoffs. That's a full 1/3 of a roster right there. They are all borderline NHL players at best.

I agree on Vey should be gone. I'd give Etem and Granlund another full year before I decide. I like the potential of Etem, just need to see more of him. Frankly haven't seen enough of Granlund.

As for Tryamkin, Pedan, Gaunce, Larson, need to see more of them as well.

It sure is shaping up to be be a young and inexperienced line up, for sure. Chasing all this players in the 20-25 age group has now created a log jam of players that need to clear waivers. If we can't get assets or picks back we are at risk of losing them for nothing, which highlights why they were traded to us in the first place.

Grenier is in that category too. Benning describes him as a skill player who needs to be in a skill role, which he defines, in a general way, as top 9.

Shaping up more and more like McCann and possibly Virtanen will see Utica next year if roster spots are needed.
The only HW the Canucks need
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Hockey Widow wrote: I agree on Vey should be gone.
Vey is becoming like Higgins and Prust this year - pencilled in to the lineup at the start of the year, but the team's better off clearing the roster space for younger players than keeping him on the ice.

Hopefully Vey can get pumped before he's dumped, but I guess I may have to accept Benning gave up a 2nd rounder for 39 points in 120 games.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Vey will be gone or in the AHL.

Etem is still a question mark, and as a RFA he will likely not see a new contract until Benning has sorted out his free agency moves.

Pedan and Larson will see ice-time that reflects the health of our roster. Probably going to be battling it out for the 7th spot at the beginning of the year.

I can see Gaunce being the 13th forward.

The only guys on that list that I suspect will be regular parts of the roster are Tryamkin and Granlund. Tryamkin is only guaranteed a spot because if he doesn't make the NHL out of training camp he has an out clause that will let him bolt back to the KHL.

My fingers are crossed that Benning pulls off an 11th hour miracle, recognizes a mistake, and finds a way to deal Dorsett and Sbisa............and yes, I know how well crossing fingers works.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Tryamkin & Guance have barely played any NHL games to be judged, Pedan as well.

Try again little man.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The point was , if ALL seven of those guys are on the team a playoff spot was unlikely. Learn to read ,it will come in handy for you.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Would like to keep Gaunce and Etem, bigger bodies. Not overly physical but bigger than the Vey's/Granlund's of the team. I've been impressed with Gaunce's development lately (man, that 2012 draft was pretty shit). He should be given a shot.

Still need this team to be tougher to play against up front.

I think McCann starts in Utica. Kid needs minutes. Can see Virtanen staying with the Canucks because he's willing to engage, has the size, and has actually gotten better as the seasons gone on.

Wonder if Benning has the stones to buyout Burrows if he can't create some roster flexibility.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

This city will not do well being bottom feeders for another 3 years.
Wanna fast track it?
It is possible.
I'd be just fine drafting Mathew Tkachuck, right kind of guy, maybe nhl ready real quick.
Go all in for Stamkos but be ready to do the same for Lucic as a second choice
Don't even think of Dustin Brown. NO WAY!!!
Bring up Green to be head coach next year, (he will be an nhl coach next year anyway).
Let Benning clear out some stuff that are on this squad right now and add some magic.
We can be in the playoffs next year.
What you want to avoid is finishing near the bottom for more than a year cause if you look at the history of this league, teams seem to get stuck there for 4 to 6 freakin years.........
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ESQ wrote:
Ronning's Ghost wrote:
What's most shocking about that projected roster is that only three Gillis-made picks from his 6 drafts. That says a lot about why the transition is in the shape its in.
And that there my friend is why the Canucks are where they are. The worst drafting and development phase of all Canuck MGMT regimes past and present. That is the UVIC Profs legacy in Canuckville

But no worries we have the right man in place to fix that debauchery
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote:
ESQ wrote:What's most shocking about that projected roster is that only three Gillis-made picks from his 6 drafts. That says a lot about why the transition is in the shape its in.
And that there my friend is why the Canucks are where they are. The worst drafting and development phase of all Canuck MGMT regimes past and present. That is the UVIC Profs legacy in Canuckville

But no worries we have the right man in place to fix that debauchery
FYP

While I think it's a fine insight and I would not be ashamed to be associated with it, in the interests of clarity and fairness i wanted to point out that it was ESQ who said that, not me.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:The point was , if ALL seven of those guys are on the team a playoff spot was unlikely. Learn to read ,it will come in handy for you.
1). Very unlikely, and no sane reason to believe those 7 are all "on this roster as full time players" next season.

2). If all 7 are on the roster, it means Vey + Etem went through a miraculous transformation.

3). No way of knowing if Granlund/Pedan/Tryamkin/Gaunce/Larson will merely be "borderline NHLers" next year.

So ahhhh... got any other "points"? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote:So ahhhh... got any other "points"? :mex:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:On the eve of free agency trade the rights to Hamhius and Verbata for Stanton and Richardson
LOL.....am I doing this right Blobby?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:The point was , if ALL seven of those guys are on the team a playoff spot was unlikely. Learn to read ,it will come in handy for you.
Well my tiny hockey iq friend, that is pretty unlikely isn't it :roll:

Vey simply will not be here so there really is no point to your argument except pissing and whining into the wind (in the wrong direction, so it sprays all over you and only you).

Can you please stop being the village idjit Blip, it's really unbecoming of you. Come on, you're better than that. You have shown some hockey knowledge in the past. Channel that bitchy energy into positives of YOUR Vancouver Canucks.

8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)