The Great Jim Benning Debate! (And personal insult thread)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Strangelove »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:26 pm
Strangelove wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:26 pm
You have been working hard around here trying to reach some kind of a... consensus

... as to when folks should feel free to proclaim him a genius.
What I have been trying to do is to bring you around the the idea of objective criteria, but it seems that you're not into it, and it's boring some other posters.
Yeahno I keep telling you that there is plenty of excellent objective evidence available

... and you keep trying set a consensus for "genius".

Wins = genius was so funny!

Not nearly as funny thought as stating The Great Strangelove is boring!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously...

If you feel this subject is "boring some other posters" (and it is) why do YOU keep pushing me to talk about it?

Gracious, you've been hounding me about this with your "we" stuff for TWO YEARS.

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:26 pm Listen, I hope one day you get all the data/evidence you need Cliffy

... but that's not my problem brother.
If I don't get this evidence, you will be more unhappy about it than I will, because it will mean that either the Canucks haven't had any playoff success, or Benning is no longer the GM.
So I'll be more unhappy than you if MY Canucks don't have playoff success?

Sounds about right. :mex:

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:02 pm
BTW what I predicted to happen in 1-2 years won't be enough to meet Cliffy's stated requirements...
Hey, it was Royal Dude who introduced the whole "Masterpiece defines the genius" concept. The lowest threshold I proposed for consideration http://canuckscorner.com/forums/viewtop ... =2&t=10898 was Conference Finals by 2020.
Maybe but hey it definitely became "Cliffy's stated requirements" and

... OMG that is YOUR THREAD from 2 years ago... you're the OP!!

Thanks for proving my overriding point there Cliffy, you hound dog. 8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:36 pm
Strangelove wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:34 pm
DonCherry4PM wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:54 pm A much more eloquent response than I had in mind.
I'm glad Cliffy stepped in then!

Never post angry my friend...
Who's angry?

I enjoy trying to steer you towards more reasoned thinking. :lol:

I was just thankful for RG's post as it was a much more eloquent response (and probably succinct) than the one I had in mind.
UHHH-HUH... and how many F-words would your response have contained? :)
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:32 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:13 pm 2016 2nd rounders

1. Jonathan Dahlen - 20 goals 17 assists 37 points in 31 games
2, Rasmus Asplund - 6 goals 19 assists 25 points in 38 games
Benning drafted neither of these guys and they play in different leagues. Is there a point to this nonsense ?
He has nothing else to offer, ignore him.

One day he may just fade away.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:55 pm
DonCherry4PM wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:36 pm
Strangelove wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:34 pm
DonCherry4PM wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:54 pm A much more eloquent response than I had in mind.
I'm glad Cliffy stepped in then!

Never post angry my friend...
Who's angry?

I enjoy trying to steer you towards more reasoned thinking. :lol:

I was just thankful for RG's post as it was a much more eloquent response (and probably succinct) than the one I had in mind.
UHHH-HUH... and how many F-words would your response have contained? :)
Lol. Stop projecting, Strange. Take a look at each of our histories and see who posts angry and throws F-bombs around. Hint: It ain't me.

Back on topic (sort of): Elias Pettersson appears to have slowed a bit since coming back from the world juniors, does that mean he is no longer "generational" or does it mean we should perhaps give it a few years before making judgement one way or the other?
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Great Fucking Strangelove never fucking posts out of fucking anger!!! :evil:

Mock-fucking-anger? Somefuckingtimes. :)

Sorry, I thought you were hinting that you were about to snap... my mistake?
____
Try to focus on someday.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Back on topic for a moment...

Benning's drafting and personnel turnover since taking over in 2014 has been well documented. Yet if there is one glaring vacancy that remains on his resume, it has been his inability to engineer a major transaction at the trade table. Sure, in today's cap-strapped world it is extremely difficult to swing a blockbuster deal but it does happen, and most if not all teams have executed at least one over the past decade.

Not Vancouver.

Not since the Luongo trade has this team swung for the fences and shocked the league. That was twelve freakin' years ago! Even then Nonis was lucky as fuck for such a ludicrous offer to fall in his lap. If not for Keenan's ego, the last major maneuver could be tracked back to June of '99.

This is two consecutive regimes that have completely failed to swing a major deal. Many thought Gillis' inability to architect a trade was due to the general disdain felt from his peers. Regardless, beyond the Ehrhoff transaction which was mostly driven by a cap-strapped Sharks team, Gillis was rendered impotent at the trade table for 6 years.

Well, here we are weeks from the TDL, and Benning's future is completely up in the air.

Say what you will about his supposedly strong scouting ability. Boeser was a coop, but beyond Brock, every single one of the prospects in the system are just that, prospects. It's been four years and while we're still years away from fully judging Jim's draft ability, his future with the franchise is in jeopardy thanks to his questionable work in the off-seasons, and his inability to improve this rebuild through the trade market.

Hoping for prospects to develop and flourish will not suffice. There is just not enough evidence over the past two years that suggests the rebuild is making progress. Brock is a terrific story, but what would the opinion of this season be if his rookie season was simply pedestrian? The current crop of young kids after Brock and Bo are not helping Jim's plan. The progress of Jake, Hutton, Gaunce, Stech, Granlund and even Baertschi has been moderate at best. Furthermore, there is not a single skater in Utica that provides an ounce of hope of commanding a position amongst the future core. Goldobin? Really??

If Jim can't maneuver at least one high impact trade in the coming weeks to prevent another failed season, his future as GM is finished.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Great breakdown man. It hadnt occured to me that its been that long but you're 100% on the money.

Bennings' swing for the fences hail mary might be involving EG and happening as we debate.

If he is on the block I would love him to be dropped and kept in the organization as a top scout rather than fired but that never happens so....
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BladesofSteel wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:33 pm If Jim can't maneuver at least one high impact trade in the coming weeks to prevent another failed season, his future as GM is finished.
Wrong.
____
Try to focus on someday.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

You're probably right Doc.

Aquilini is courting his next GM as we speak. Jim's days are numbered regardless.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BladesofSteel wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:09 pm Jim's days are numbered regardless.
Wrong.
____
Try to focus on someday.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Whatever you say Doc.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Curious what players JimBro inherited that could provide a massive windfall at the deadline or simply any time of the year? The inherited players were a combination of old and past their prime on shitty contracts with NTC's. Kesler was the only good piece since he was the youngest of that core group but thanks to the Gillis NTC he names just one team, was never gonna win that one. Trade the Sedins? Would never happen under any GM. Really curious about all these attractive assets JimBro inherited that had that potential amazing swing for the fences haul in return????

The time for those such trades to happen with those core players were when they were in their Matt Duschene prime before they were given goofball NTC contracts like post 2011 in the Gillis regime

If they could get 31 year old Edler to waive to a bunch of teams then they should explore that but like Kesler, he holds all the cards. Edler loves it here, built a home here, his wife is from here not to mention she's best buds with Lindens wife but with one year left on his deal they should see if he can budge a few teams on that NTC. If they trade him then explore resigning the younger Gudbranson. But like I said Edler is in control here.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:34 am Curious what players JimBro inherited that could provide a massive windfall at the deadline or simply any time of the year?
Hamhius, Tanev
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:31 am
RoyalDude wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:34 am Curious what players JimBro inherited that could provide a massive windfall at the deadline or simply any time of the year?
Hamhius, Tanev
Well Clifford you dawg you, Blades is pining for a Big Blockbuster type trade, now we all know from the tale of the tape that the measely offerings for Hamhius at the time were nothing of the extraordinairy kind, hence blockbuster, but that topic thanks to Bubbles is a much debated dead one. As for Tanev, I for one thinks it's foolish to trade Tanev due to the current state of our defence, factor in the Gudbranson UFA situation. But hey, if you can get a younger D-man back who is NHL ready then let's do it but if we are just getting picks and prospect type of returns, well, if you think the D is bad now.

I'd try to trade Edler who has 1 year left on his contract and try to resign Gudbranson. It might take more than we want to pay, but this team is butter soft at the moment. Finding toughness who can keep up with today's game is a disappearing commodity unless you are like Blob who still thinks there a place in today's game for your Tony Twists and Dave Browns

Speaking of Bubbles I see his prized - Sergachev has been a healthy scratch for 3 straight games. Apparently he's getting lit up like a Christmas tree defensively - Jordan Subban style.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:04 am this team is butter soft at the moment. Finding toughness who can keep up with today's game is a disappearing commodity
I have suggested that it might be easier to teach pugilism to hockey players than to get thugs to play better hockey. I may be wrong, but has anyone even tried ?