The Great Jim Benning Debate! (And personal insult thread)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:52 pm What he needs to add is an owner to remove the silver spoon from his twat
Sorry, to clarify: I meant players, coaches, or training staff.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:52 pm What he needs to add is an owner to remove the silver spoon from his twat and have the manhood to show his GM the confidence and patience for him to do his job properly, Rome wasn't built in a day, and in those days, mistakes will be made. Benning needs to just keep on hitting well at the draft like he's shown. I could give two shits about your Vanek and Eriksson place holders.
Lol blame the owner for everything. Sounds like a renter if there ever was one
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:34 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:27 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:24 pm If we keep on the narrative of reading patterns Elmer would have still drafted Juolevi and laid a massive chunk of shit on the draft floor because we needed defence right
drafted Juolevi instead of Matthews....yeahhhh rrrrriiiiiight. Lets let this one sink in for a bit.
Ok Einstein would he have drafted Juolevi instead of Dubois, Poolparty or Laine ? I’m sure you would have. You’ve had had his back on this pick forever instead of admitting a mistake. Juolevi isn’t even in the top 12 of a redraft. Virtanen is not a first rounder despite that abortion of a post you made yesterday
Virtanen is actually more than likely going to be a solid first round selection in the long term. I don't know that he's a 6th overall, or even a top 15 pick. But look at the number of 1st round picks that have amounted to little more than 3rd line players who score less than 40 points per season.

Obviously hindsight being what it is the draft would look different.

Nylander, Larkin, Ehlers, and Pastrnak, are really the only 4 names that jump out screaming "PICK ME" over Virtanen, and I think that both Nylander and Ehlers should be measured along side their linemates. Larkin and Pastrnak are solid picks that would probably be highly effective players regardless of who they play with. I doubt that Nylander or Ehlers would have the same impact in Vancouver that they have had in Toronto alongside Matthews, or in Winnipeg with Scheifele, Laine, and Wheeler.

Still. As it stands now Virtanen has been a bit of a dud for a 6th overall.

I think he would have taken Juolevi over Pullparvi or whatever. I sure hope Laine and Dubois were ranked higher though.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:03 pm 2nd for Bieksa?
So what did JB do with this 2nd round pick? I noticed that we didn't make a 2nd round selection in the 2015 draft. Did he trade it?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

The fact the owners haven't re-signed Benning by now believes me they are letting him go.

*thanks for the awesome draft picks*

& if that's the case, we got the shittiest owners....as JB is the reason Boston won a cup.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:39 am

& if that's the case, we got the shittiest owners....as JB is the reason Boston won a cup.
Lol care to back this up with anything ?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:08 pm

Pretty sure the picks we have acquired came to fruition from JB's scouting abilities.
Whether or not he is solely responsible for ALL the free agents and the dollars and goodies for their contracts is hard to know for 100%
Hell, throughout the years I have heard rumors of tremendous squabbling and lack of consensus from within the ownership family.
Too many chefs kind of thing.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

As noted by his brilliant moves in Edmonton can't you tell that it was all Chiarelli in Boston?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:23 am
So what did JB do with this 2nd round pick? I noticed that we didn't make a 2nd round selection in the 2015 draft. Did he trade it?
He swapped it with Pittsburghs 3rd in the Sutter trade, which ended up being Will Lockwood. The difference between late 2nd we gave them and early 3rd we got back was like 9 spots or something like that

Give me Sutter over Bonino any day of the week. Bonino's disgusting performance in the playoffs against the flames was gross beyond words
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:25 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:52 pm What he needs to add is an owner to remove the silver spoon from his twat and have the manhood to show his GM the confidence and patience for him to do his job properly, Rome wasn't built in a day, and in those days, mistakes will be made. Benning needs to just keep on hitting well at the draft like he's shown. I could give two shits about your Vanek and Eriksson place holders.
Lol blame the owner for everything. Sounds like a renter if there ever was one
I'd blame Alain Vigneault like you did regarding Balltard, Coke-assassin, david Numbnuts Booth but he's no longer around
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:54 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:34 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:27 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:24 pm If we keep on the narrative of reading patterns Elmer would have still drafted Juolevi and laid a massive chunk of shit on the draft floor because we needed defence right
drafted Juolevi instead of Matthews....yeahhhh rrrrriiiiiight. Lets let this one sink in for a bit.
Ok Einstein would he have drafted Juolevi instead of Dubois, Poolparty or Laine ? I’m sure you would have. You’ve had had his back on this pick forever instead of admitting a mistake. Juolevi isn’t even in the top 12 of a redraft. Virtanen is not a first rounder despite that abortion of a post you made yesterday
Virtanen is actually more than likely going to be a solid first round selection in the long term. I don't know that he's a 6th overall, or even a top 15 pick. But look at the number of 1st round picks that have amounted to little more than 3rd line players who score less than 40 points per season.

Obviously hindsight being what it is the draft would look different.

Nylander, Larkin, Ehlers, and Pastrnak, are really the only 4 names that jump out screaming "PICK ME" over Virtanen, and I think that both Nylander and Ehlers should be measured along side their linemates. Larkin and Pastrnak are solid picks that would probably be highly effective players regardless of who they play with. I doubt that Nylander or Ehlers would have the same impact in Vancouver that they have had in Toronto alongside Matthews, or in Winnipeg with Scheifele, Laine, and Wheeler.

Still. As it stands now Virtanen has been a bit of a dud for a 6th overall.

I think he would have taken Juolevi over Pullparvi or whatever. I sure hope Laine and Dubois were ranked higher though.
No top secret that Benning wanted Dubois first choice, if still available, after that it was rumoured to be one of Juolevi or Sergachev
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:22 pm
He swapped it with Pittsburghs 3rd in the Sutter trade, which ended up being Will Lockwood. The difference between late 2nd we gave them and early 3rd we got back was like 9 spots or something like that
Yup... Bieksa was traded three days after the 2015 draft Todd.

So that 2nd rounder Canucks got for Bieksa was for the 2016 draft.

As Dude says Canucks traded that pick for a slightly lower one

... dropping back 9 spots, in the Sutter/Bonino trade.

It dropped them from 55th overall to 64th overall.

Linden later said they would have taken the player they ended up with at 64th (Lockwood) at 55th.

So yeah, one could say the trade essentially turned out to be Bieksa for Lockwood.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:16 pm

As noted by his brilliant moves in Edmonton can't you tell that it was all Chiarelli in Boston?
Benning was hired in the summer of 06 after that draft. The nucleus of the team was already drafted. Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand and Lucic. Chara was a UFA earlier that summer and Thomas was already there. Chiarelli started in May of that year so other than Chara he didn’t bring in any core guys either.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The second was given away in the Bonino trade.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:22 pm He swapped it with Pittsburghs 3rd in the Sutter trade, which ended up being Will Lockwood. The difference between late 2nd we gave them and early 3rd we got back was like 9 spots or something like that

Give me Sutter over Bonino any day of the week. Bonino's disgusting performance in the playoffs against the flames was gross beyond words
Ah, k, right. Thnx dood*. Yeah, I think I'd take Sutter over Bones as well. Although Bones played some great hockey in the playoffs for Pitts and has 2 cups.
Last edited by Todd Bersnoozi on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.