The Great Jim Benning Debate! (And personal insult thread)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:37 am
RoyalDude wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:38 am
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:50 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:54 pm Oh, every GM trades picks for players rebuilding or not. Edmonton, Calgary, Arizona etc
I'm not going to spend the research time to verify that, but I submit that a Genius GM on a rebuilding team would not.
Genius GMs will do anything to get to their final masterpiece. They will sacrifice more pawns than your typical non-genius GMs to get to where they are going and most will have no idea where they are going or what tricks they have up their sleeves in this process, you cannot telegraph what a genius GM will do next, not even I. Check mate?!?!
I concede that I have already agreed that for purposes of our discussion, I will defer any criticism of the process and judge the quality of the moves by the outcome they produce. This means, though, that your arguments for Benning's genius are tied to that outcome. No Masterpiece, no Genius.

So again, how much longer does the genius need to stand at the easel ? How many Stanley Cup Championships in a Masterpiece, anyway ? Four ?
It doesn’t take a genius to see the genius in progress. It’s like watching Leonardo DaVinci in the middle of painting the Mona Lisa
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:44 am
For this franchise... one.
One ? Managing a team to one Stanley Cup victory makes a genius ?

What does that make Selke, Pollock, Torrey, and Sather ? Alien super-evolved hyper-intelligences ? Kind of selfish of them to keep the proof to the Riemann hypothesis to themselves, dontcha think ?
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:24 pm It doesn’t take a genius to see the genius in progress. It’s like watching Leonardo DaVinci in the middle of painting the Mona Lisa
The middle ? As in, half way ? Half way in time, so the (first in a long series of) Stanley Cup(s) comes to Vancouver in 2022, or halfway in process, so that half the players of the Masterpiece team are in the system now (or will be after this draft) ?

Would you be willing to tell me (after the draft, of course) which players those are ?
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:07 pm
Cornuck wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:44 am
For this franchise... one.

What does that make Selke, Pollock, Torrey, and Sather ? Alien super-evolved hyper-intelligences ? Kind of selfish of them to keep the proof to the Riemann hypothesis to themselves, dontcha think ?
Not one of those guys managed to win a Cup with the Canucks. :wink:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:07 pm
Cornuck wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:44 am For this franchise... one.

I'm sure if Jimmy wanted, he could easily prove that the mathematical path of the Riemann Hypothesis will always lie true.

However... and thankfully... he is never distracted from rebuilding my Vancouver Canucks.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Except when he’s chugging Royal Red out of a paper bag
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

So will this be the year that this is finally Bennings team? He’s now had five drafts, he’s heading to his fifth UFA season and hes had 4 + years to make trades. At what point does this team become his creation? The twins are gone and Tanev will either be traded or leave when he’s a UFA. That leaves Edler and Horvat.

I’m just curious when certain posters will stop blaming the former GM for this teams woes.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:18 am So will this be the year that this is finally Bennings team? He’s now had five drafts, he’s heading to his fifth UFA season and hes had 4 + years to make trades. At what point does this team become his creation? The twins are gone and Tanev will either be traded or leave when he’s a UFA. That leaves Edler and Horvat.

I’m just curious when certain posters will stop blaming the former GM for this teams woes.
The blaming will never stop due to the state of the organization that Gillis left behind for the next GM. The organization Gillis left behind owned the leagues worst prospect pool combined with an old aging core group well past their prime on untradeable NTC contracts plus a disgruntled Kesler, no proven goalies in the system, a cokehead whom we gave up the 10th overall pick for, a player Benning had to buyout. Keeping the Sedins happy and a black hole with the exception of Tanev in players in that early to mid twenties age group

Where and why did you think it was going to be easy for the next GM?

Bottom line is - Benning has assembled an amazing looking future. Hasn’t looked this good in years!!!!!!!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The blaming will never stop. That’s interesting. So in five or eight more years if the team still sucks it will still be the fault of Eye Bags. I mean who cares if all the players drafted from 2008-2012 have mostly retired.

Elmer has had one draft pick make an impact in four drafts. I’m obviously not going to include this years draft. I think every NHL team has more than one good player to show for four years of drafting from 2014-2017. Some of them have four or five.

We all agree the drafting for this team was garbage for many years going back to the Nonis years. He did draft well in 04 but that’s it. From 05-12 this team didn’t draft a good NHL player. This isn’t news. The cupboard was bare.

Sure there are finally some good prospects but only a retard would believe all of them will turn out. Count on 30-35 %.

So if you are planning to blame Gillis for another decade I guess you don’t have much confidence in Elmer sorting things out on his own.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I’m blaming Gillis for the tire fire he left behind for the next GM to fix. Something you vehemently refuse to acknowledge, acknowledging that turning around that tire fire (dousing it, or controlling the flames) wasn’t going to be an easy task for the GM, to right over night. The wrongs were to deep rooted and entrenched like soldiers on Vimey Ridge. The impatient (can’t handle a rebuild) ones such as yourself simply struggled emotionally with this dousing of the tire fire on social media.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:50 am The blaming will never stop. That’s interesting. So in five or eight more years if the team still sucks it will still be the fault of Eye Bags. I mean who cares if all the players drafted from 2008-2012 have mostly retired.

Elmer has had one draft pick make an impact in four drafts. I’m obviously not going to include this years draft. I think every NHL team has more than one good player to show for four years of drafting. Some of them have four or five.

We all agree the drafting for this team was garbage for many years going back to the Nonis years. He did draft well in 04 but that’s it. From 05-12 this team didn’t draft a good NHL player. This isn’t news. The cupboard was bare.

Sure there are finally some good prospects but only a retard would believe all of them will turn out. Count on 30-35 %.

So if you are planning to blame Gillis for another decade I guess you don’t have much confidence in Elmer sorting things out on his own.
This year and especially the following season will be what Jim is judged on. If they’re isn’t an improvement in standings 2019-2020 season to the point of competing for a playoff spot, he’s gone, however, what Benning has done has set up the team with a future core that linden and the next gm should be able to capitalize on. Waiting for prospects takes patience though blob my friend.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Dude, I’ve acknowledged that Gillis left a bare cupboard and that the drafting was piss poor from 2005-2012. Do you have reading comprehension isssues? This is coming up on year 5. At what point will more than one draft pick make an impact and at what point will a decent team emerge. Elmer can’t keep losing and keep his job. He has a two year deal with a team option. He’s on a choke chain.

The old party line about not being able to handle a rebuild. In case you forget I’m the guy who wants the GM to acquire more picks in order to rebuild and develop a deep organization similar to what the Jets and Predators have done. You and your crew want to fastrack the rebuild by trading picks and kids for mid 20 something players like Sutter, Gudbranson, Baertschi, Vey, Pedan, Pouliott etc. You guys can’t wait for future draft picks to develop and want instant gratification. But it’s me that can’t handle a rebuild.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :sly: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:00 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:50 am The blaming will never stop. That’s interesting. So in five or eight more years if the team still sucks it will still be the fault of Eye Bags. I mean who cares if all the players drafted from 2008-2012 have mostly retired.

Elmer has had one draft pick make an impact in four drafts. I’m obviously not going to include this years draft. I think every NHL team has more than one good player to show for four years of drafting. Some of them have four or five.

This year and especially the following season will be what Jim is judged on. If they’re isn’t an improvement in standings 2019-2020 season to the point of competing for a playoff spot, he’s gone, however, what Benning has done has set up the team with a future core that linden and the next gm should be able to capitalize on. Waiting for prospects takes patience though blob my friend.
That’s a well thought out post. I am patient Dick. I just am genuinely curious when Astoria Dude will actually judge the GM good and bad and quit blaming the previous administration for everything. It has to end at some point doesn’t it?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

My guess is that the rebuild will require another 2 years of high drafting. I think theyll show promise along the way and having 2 superstar calibre assets in EP and QH coming in soon will accentuate what it takes to climb out of the well.

The rebuild is like the coquihalla. We just passed the last hope turn off and have that huge fuckin hill to go. The toll booth is still a ways away and merrit is so far you might as well have a nap at the summit
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

2014 - Nylander, Ehlers, Larkin, and Pastrnak.

In the cases of Nylander and Ehlers it’s hard to say if they become the same players in Vancouver under Willie’s Moustache and with lesser linemates. Larkin’s speed probably makes him an impact player here a year later than in Detroit. Pastrnak developer alongside some of the best defensive forwards in the game, he wouldn’t have had that here.....but still, Elmer passed on him twice!

2015 - Boeser at 23 was grand larsny.

2016 - Tkachuk, Keller, Sergachev, McAvoy, Chychrun.

Benning missed on 5 players that have played NHL minutes in a regular role. Juolevi could still eclipse them all, but none of us are seeing that right now. The argument about Willie D remains.

2017 - Pettersson has a chance to be the best player from that class.

2018 - Hughes falling to 7th was a boon. Jim did well to take advantage of that.

His misses seem like they outweigh his hits so far, especially at the NHL level.