The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:27 pm

I think Benning would like a few do overs if you made him drink truth serum. Thankfully the hemorrhaging or picks seemed to have stopped.
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11334
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by RoyalDude » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:54 pm

Holy cow Bub, there isn’t a GM in hockey history that wouldn’t love a do over! What is this? Bat .500 you suck forever? Chiarelli still drafting Puljiarvi in his do-over? Treliving still drafting Bennett in his do-over? Snow drafting Dal Colle in his do-over?. Coyotes still drafting Strome?..,,,,,,,,,

Oh, every GM trades picks for players rebuilding or not. Edmonton, Calgary, Arizona etc
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP
Posts: 834
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:25 pm
Location: New Westminster

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:50 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:54 pm
Oh, every GM trades picks for players rebuilding or not. Edmonton, Calgary, Arizona etc
I'm not going to spend the research time to verify that, but I submit that a Genius GM on a rebuilding team would not.

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11334
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by RoyalDude » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:38 am

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:50 am
RoyalDude wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:54 pm
Oh, every GM trades picks for players rebuilding or not. Edmonton, Calgary, Arizona etc
I'm not going to spend the research time to verify that, but I submit that a Genius GM on a rebuilding team would not.
Genius GMs will do anything to get to their final masterpiece. They will sacrifice more pawns than your typical non-genius GMs to get to where they are going and most will have no idea where they are going or what tricks they have up their sleeves in this process, you cannot telegraph what a genius GM will do next, not even I. Check mate?!?!
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP
Posts: 834
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:25 pm
Location: New Westminster

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:37 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:38 am
Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:50 am
RoyalDude wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:54 pm
Oh, every GM trades picks for players rebuilding or not. Edmonton, Calgary, Arizona etc
I'm not going to spend the research time to verify that, but I submit that a Genius GM on a rebuilding team would not.
Genius GMs will do anything to get to their final masterpiece. They will sacrifice more pawns than your typical non-genius GMs to get to where they are going and most will have no idea where they are going or what tricks they have up their sleeves in this process, you cannot telegraph what a genius GM will do next, not even I. Check mate?!?!
I concede that I have already agreed that for purposes of our discussion, I will defer any criticism of the process and judge the quality of the moves by the outcome they produce. This means, though, that your arguments for Benning's genius are tied to that outcome. No Masterpiece, no Genius.

So again, how much longer does the genius need to stand at the easel ? How many Stanley Cup Championships in a Masterpiece, anyway ? Four ?

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 7440
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Cornuck » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:44 am

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:37 am
No Masterpiece, no Genius.
So again, how much longer does the genius need to stand at the easel ? How many Stanley Cup Championships in a Masterpiece, anyway ? Four ?
For this franchise... one.

Any GM, coach or top players will be classified as deities in Vancouver. If that happens to be Benning, then yes, he could and should be considered a genius for doing something nobody else could in 50+ years.

At this point, I don't care about who that person is, which players are involved as long as this franchise wins a Cup at some point while I'm above ground.

In the meantime, I'll just try to enjoy watching this new generation of Canucks work some magic.
2018-19 - The Road to 82

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3660
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Reefer2 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:07 am

Cornuck wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:44 am
Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:37 am
No Masterpiece, no Genius.
So again, how much longer does the genius need to stand at the easel ? How many Stanley Cup Championships in a Masterpiece, anyway ? Four ?
For this franchise... one.

Any GM, coach or top players will be classified as deities in Vancouver. If that happens to be Benning, then yes, he could and should be considered a genius for doing something nobody else could in 50+ years.

At this point, I don't care about who that person is, which players are involved as long as this franchise wins a Cup at some point while I'm above ground.

In the meantime, I'll just try to enjoy watching this new generation of Canucks work some magic.
Agree 1,000% and something I strongly believe in. I do not care for the name on the back anymore, win me a freaking cup.

If it takes a Marchand type of player then sign him.

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11334
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by RoyalDude » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:24 pm

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:37 am
RoyalDude wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:38 am
Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:50 am
RoyalDude wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:54 pm
Oh, every GM trades picks for players rebuilding or not. Edmonton, Calgary, Arizona etc
I'm not going to spend the research time to verify that, but I submit that a Genius GM on a rebuilding team would not.
Genius GMs will do anything to get to their final masterpiece. They will sacrifice more pawns than your typical non-genius GMs to get to where they are going and most will have no idea where they are going or what tricks they have up their sleeves in this process, you cannot telegraph what a genius GM will do next, not even I. Check mate?!?!
I concede that I have already agreed that for purposes of our discussion, I will defer any criticism of the process and judge the quality of the moves by the outcome they produce. This means, though, that your arguments for Benning's genius are tied to that outcome. No Masterpiece, no Genius.

So again, how much longer does the genius need to stand at the easel ? How many Stanley Cup Championships in a Masterpiece, anyway ? Four ?
It doesn’t take a genius to see the genius in progress. It’s like watching Leonardo DaVinci in the middle of painting the Mona Lisa
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP
Posts: 834
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:25 pm
Location: New Westminster

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:07 pm

Cornuck wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:44 am

For this franchise... one.
One ? Managing a team to one Stanley Cup victory makes a genius ?

What does that make Selke, Pollock, Torrey, and Sather ? Alien super-evolved hyper-intelligences ? Kind of selfish of them to keep the proof to the Riemann hypothesis to themselves, dontcha think ?

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP
Posts: 834
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:25 pm
Location: New Westminster

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:15 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:24 pm
It doesn’t take a genius to see the genius in progress. It’s like watching Leonardo DaVinci in the middle of painting the Mona Lisa
The middle ? As in, half way ? Half way in time, so the (first in a long series of) Stanley Cup(s) comes to Vancouver in 2022, or halfway in process, so that half the players of the Masterpiece team are in the system now (or will be after this draft) ?

Would you be willing to tell me (after the draft, of course) which players those are ?

User avatar
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2861
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Aaronp18 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:35 pm

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:07 pm
Cornuck wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:44 am

For this franchise... one.
One ? Managing a team to one Stanley Cup victory makes a genius ?

What does that make Selke, Pollock, Torrey, and Sather ? Alien super-evolved hyper-intelligences ? Kind of selfish of them to keep the proof to the Riemann hypothesis to themselves, dontcha think ?
Not one of those guys managed to win a Cup with the Canucks. :wink:

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 16976
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Strangelove » Tue May 01, 2018 3:23 pm

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:07 pm
Cornuck wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:44 am
For this franchise... one.
One ? Managing a team to one Stanley Cup victory makes a genius ?

What does that make Selke, Pollock, Torrey, and Sather ? Alien super-evolved hyper-intelligences ? Kind of selfish of them to keep the proof to the Riemann hypothesis to themselves, dontcha think ?

I'm sure if Jimmy wanted, he could easily prove that the mathematical path of the Riemann Hypothesis will always lie true.

However... and thankfully... he is never distracted from rebuilding my Vancouver Canucks.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Tue May 01, 2018 3:28 pm

Except when he’s chugging Royal Red out of a paper bag
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:18 am

So will this be the year that this is finally Bennings team? He’s now had five drafts, he’s heading to his fifth UFA season and hes had 4 + years to make trades. At what point does this team become his creation? The twins are gone and Tanev will either be traded or leave when he’s a UFA. That leaves Edler and Horvat.

I’m just curious when certain posters will stop blaming the former GM for this teams woes.
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11334
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by RoyalDude » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:37 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:18 am
So will this be the year that this is finally Bennings team? He’s now had five drafts, he’s heading to his fifth UFA season and hes had 4 + years to make trades. At what point does this team become his creation? The twins are gone and Tanev will either be traded or leave when he’s a UFA. That leaves Edler and Horvat.

I’m just curious when certain posters will stop blaming the former GM for this teams woes.
The blaming will never stop due to the state of the organization that Gillis left behind for the next GM. The organization Gillis left behind owned the leagues worst prospect pool combined with an old aging core group well past their prime on untradeable NTC contracts plus a disgruntled Kesler, no proven goalies in the system, a cokehead whom we gave up the 10th overall pick for, a player Benning had to buyout. Keeping the Sedins happy and a black hole with the exception of Tanev in players in that early to mid twenties age group

Where and why did you think it was going to be easy for the next GM?

Bottom line is - Benning has assembled an amazing looking future. Hasn’t looked this good in years!!!!!!!
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Post Reply