N.H.L./C.H.L. Rule Change proposal

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

N.H.L./C.H.L. Rule Change proposal

Postby micky107 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:03 pm

I have thought about this from every angle I can for two years now.
I would like to see every N.H.L. team be aloud to keep ONE 19 year old player, if they want, without restriction. That means he could play in the A.H.L. or the parent team. He could be called up or sent back down without restriction.
It makes sense to me in many ways.
It could really help players develop better playing with men.
At first glance, the C.H.L. would more than likely hate the idea but it could help them too.
They have the best young player system in the world by far but they are crowded now. Our whole Canadian system, meaning junior, midget, bantam etc. has improved so much. Take into consideration the amount of Europeans and U.S kids that get into the C.H.L. as well and I don't think the potential loss of thirty 19 year olds, (worst case scenario) will hurt much. It allows them to see new faces too.
It's something I think might ease things on a few fronts.....
"evolution"
micky107
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: N.H.L./C.H.L. Rule Change proposal

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:07 pm

The NHL is currently looking at changing the draft age from 18 to 19. They want to keep players in junior longer. Can't see them agreeing to a franchise exception for one 19 year old.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby micky107 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:49 pm

Changing the draft age to 19 will be a disaster. Too crowded in the C.H.L. now. I can see some18 year olds jumping to Europe like Sweden, Finland, Switzerland. Their development programs have been well publicized in regards to getting drastically better than they were plus the kids can make a bit of scratch. I for one don't want to see that.
"evolution"
micky107
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Island Nucklehead » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:06 pm

micky107 wrote:Changing the draft age to 19 will be a disaster. Too crowded in the C.H.L. now. I can see some18 year olds jumping to Europe like Sweden, Finland, Switzerland. Their development programs have been well publicized in regards to getting drastically better than they were plus the kids can make a bit of scratch. I for one don't want to see that.

One more season of Crosby/McDavid in the junior leagues can only help attendance and interest in the league.

Making the draft age 19 also gives teams an extra year of scouting. You'd get a better idea of who deserves to go where. A few less 16 year olds in the major junior ranks will likely filter over to the Junior "A" leagues, so it's a win for them.

I'd be curious to see how they change that rule. It would really suck to get the 1st overall pick in 2019 (or whenever) and not be able to select the best 18 year old player, but have to pick through the previous drafts leftovers. I wonder if they'd make an exception for that season (ie first 2 rounds can pick 18 year olds).

Maybe the best thing for fans would be extra players available for the World Juniors. :drink:
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby TDA Rum » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:13 pm

micky107 wrote:Changing the draft age to 19 will be a disaster. Too crowded in the C.H.L. now. I can see some18 year olds jumping to Europe like Sweden, Finland, Switzerland. Their development programs have been well publicized in regards to getting drastically better than they were plus the kids can make a bit of scratch. I for one don't want to see that.

There is talk of making a super tier midget league which would probably negate 15 & 16 year olds playing junior..
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Topper » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:34 pm

Considering that only a small handful of players make the jump to the NHL out of their draft year, it affects very few players.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:20 pm

The NHLPA champions the change too. May help keep a few vets in the league longer.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Topper » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:51 am

Thinking more about how they would change the draft age to 19......

I mean how would they do this?

One year they draft 18 year olds.........next year they re draft?.........next year the cancel the draft?

How do they manage draft picks that have been traded?

It will be an interesting mechanism.

Topper
CC Legend

Postby Aaronp18 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:10 pm

Topper wrote:Thinking more about how they would change the draft age to 19......

I was thinking about this as well.

Right now the draft age is cutoff:
All players who will be 18 years old on or before September 15 and not older than 20 years old before December 31 of the draft year are eligible for selection for that year's NHL Entry Draft. In addition, non-North American players over the age of 20 are eligible.

So my guess is they would have to do it over a couple years. So one year you have to be 18 before say March 31st (instead of Sept 15), but extend the age to not older than 21 (instead of 20) before December 31st. Would probably add enough players to the draft, some kids that would be free agents can now be drafted instead.

Then the next year you have to be 19 before Sept 15 and not older than 21 before Dec 31st.

Or something to that extent.
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Benjo » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:12 pm

Topper wrote:Thinking more about how they would change the draft age to 19......

One year they draft 18 year olds.........next year they re draft?.........next year the cancel the draft?

It will be easy, just do it after the next lockout season.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Topper » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:13 pm

Still make traded draft pick interesting.

LOL Benjo

Topper
CC Legend

Postby Island Nucklehead » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:09 pm

I'm thinking they could do a one-year transition draft. First 3 rounds of the draft you can take 18 year olds. The next 4 rounds shift to the new rules. Watch how many draft picks get dealt, teams trying to trade into the top 90, or moving their following years picks. Should make things interesting, but it would suck being the team picking first overall the year after they make the switch, all the best prospects for that age group picked the year before, watching what are likely better players waiting around for the following season.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:56 pm

Ya I think a transition is the best way to go. You can do over 2-3 years. Just roll back the birthdate cut off by 4-6 months per year until you have a new age set. It really is the best way to go. May suck for the handful of superstars who transition into the NHL right out of the draft but worth it in the long run. Hell I advocated for Edmonton to send McJesus back to junior just to give then one year under Chiarelli to start fixing the mess.

The draft age was set at 18 because the NHL needed players. Now with the overwhelming influx from Europe, the KHL and the US college ranks we don't need to rush 18 year olds. Ben Hutton and Chris Tanev are good examples of how a few years in college can go a long way to helping kids develop. Heck Johnny hockey went that route and it sure helped him. Even the twins stayed in Sweden for three years.

Let the kids in the juniors develop one extra year.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Return to Canucks Corner Chat