The Three Year Entry Level Contract System

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

The Three Year Entry Level Contract System

Postby micky107 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:17 pm

The owners wanted this and they got it. It hasn't been that long and I already see it adding to the problem of staying within the cap. A young star could jump from $900,000.00 to 6 or 7 million. If you combine that with current stars now fetching 8, 9, 10 million or more it would seem that very soon most teams are going to have 4 or 5 big money guys and a whole bunch of 1.5 million or less player. The 2.5 to 4 million salaries are going to start disappearing, you can already see it. To me, that means a whack of good, valuable players having to seek work across the water and our game looses. Hockey is a great game, a grueling game and quite frankly the players probably deserve the kind of money made in other big time pro sports but the N.H.L. will never, never have a 200 million cap and the league is not about to reduce the amount of teams, so what would help, even if just a bit? Never going to happen but I would go back to 2 year entry level then their next contract couldn't exceed maybe 3.5 mill. I would even put a limit of 7 or 8 on any contract after that no matter how great a player is. Ya, ya, I know, I'm an idiot, never happen, they'll all defect to the K.H.L., or would they? Fact is there just isn't the money and I expect a lot of flack over this post but that's ok cause I'd love to hear some of your ideas...
"evolution"
micky107
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: The Three Year Entry Level Contract System

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:13 pm

There already is a term cap. 8 years with existing team, 7 for all other teams. Once a players ELC is up they are RFA. That keeps salaries down until they hit UFA. I doubt the players go for more restraints on movement/salary/term. The NHL of course would love more.

We have a few years of labour piece left then we will see what the battles are. Escrow may very well be one.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Tciso » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:48 pm

I'd be happier with more flexibility with the waiver system, so teams can hang onto developing players longer. Right now, players are forced to stay in the NHL if they can't clear waivers, and the younger kids have to wait longer in the AHL.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:21 pm

Tciso wrote:I'd be happier with more flexibility with the waiver system, so teams can hang onto developing players longer. Right now, players are forced to stay in the NHL if they can't clear waivers, and the younger kids have to wait longer in the AHL.

That's something the PA fought hard to loosen up. They wanted players to have more opportunities to stay in the NHL.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Tciso » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:26 am

Hockey Widow wrote:
Tciso wrote:I'd be happier with more flexibility with the waiver system, so teams can hang onto developing players longer. Right now, players are forced to stay in the NHL if they can't clear waivers, and the younger kids have to wait longer in the AHL.

That's something the PA fought hard to loosen up. They wanted players to have more opportunities to stay in the NHL.

We don't have that right now. If the waiver rules were more flexible, guys like Vey might have been called up earlier, and sent down, so Gaunce could get more games in. As it is, the waiver system makes the "tweeners" hard to keep in your system, and makes it hard to keep depth in the organizxation. Once a player is no longer waiver eligible, if they are a marginal player, they are looking at Europe, cuz NHL teams don't want to take much of a risk on them.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dbr » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:58 am

Micky.

Try a few line breaks here and there.

It took me two days to work up the gumption to pore over that post and see if there's anything of interest in here, and while you can go ahead and call me lazy or illiterate for that I don't think that it's too much to ask that people posting things they want others (who are here wasting their time, not working on some dissertation) easier to read quickly. :thumbs:

It's to be expected that the middle class feels the crunch when the cap on term starts driving salaries up (particularly when the ceiling stagnates) but most European clubs aren't paying enough to get established NHLers much more than they'd make here. The players the NHL will lose out on are the Europeans who don't want to play in the AHL making under six figures, or the handful of decent Russians who are able to command a good salary.
dbr
CC Legend

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:59 am

Tciso wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

We don't have that right now. If the waiver rules were more flexible, guys like Vey might have been called up earlier, and sent down, so Gaunce could get more games in. As it is, the waiver system makes the "tweeners" hard to keep in your system, and makes it hard to keep depth in the organizxation. Once a player is no longer waiver eligible, if they are a marginal player, they are looking at Europe, cuz NHL teams don't want to take much of a risk on them.

Agreed the system is not giving players what they had hoped for. They tried recall waivers and that failed miserably. The players want opportunities to play n the NHL. The teams want loop holes to keep players in the system. But you're right, as it is players can get stuck in the AHL once the clear waivers.

Maybe going back to a system that allows full movement might give players more opportunity.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby micky107 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:32 am

sorry,dbr, didn't mean to stress your eyes. hard to make a point in a few words. didn't join just to be sarcastic, w.e.
"evolution"
micky107
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Topper » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:44 am

micky107 wrote:didn't join just to be sarcastic

You'll never fit in.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby micky107 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:59 am

definitive word, JUST. trust me, I'll fling it big time when I get worked up! My dishwasher pissed all over this morning so today might be f**king day
"evolution"
micky107
CC Hall of Fan Member

Return to Canucks Corner Chat