First round picks

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: First round picks

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:02 am

Tciso wrote:
Mondi wrote:
[What I would advocate against is further signings like Vrbata and Miller].

Both were good signings, but, just too long of term. Vrbata was great last year. So was Miller. But, Vrbata was wasted $$ this season, and Miller is only so/so, and also a waste for next year.

We need some vets, but I hope we can sign some UFAs with heart and skill. And, keep the terms short, so they don't become road blocks,

2 years Vrbata
3 years Miller

That's not short term?
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Cornuck » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:13 am

Tciso wrote:Both were good signings, but, just too long of term. Vrbata was great last year. So was Miller. But, Vrbata was wasted $$ this season, and Miller is only so/so, and also a waste for next year.

We need some vets, but I hope we can sign some UFAs with heart and skill. And, keep the terms short, so they don't become road blocks,

I don't think anyone saw Vrbata's rapid fall coming - and he's gone July 1, so really, was it a bad signing?

Miller was brought in to bring some stability to the net. The 3 year signing was long enough to let Markstrom or Lack develop into a starter without the pressure, while still giving us a chance to win most/many nights.

As for a short term signing? If 2 and 3 years are too long, what kind of UFA vet are we going to get on 1 and 2 year terms? :/ Most of these short term signings are done so a player can re-establish his career - like Vrbata might be looking at in July (and generally those aren't 'heart and skill' guys).
2017 - The Road to 65™
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Aaronp18 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:04 pm

Cornuck wrote:
Tciso wrote:Both were good signings, but, just too long of term. Vrbata was great last year. So was Miller. But, Vrbata was wasted $$ this season, and Miller is only so/so, and also a waste for next year.

I don't think anyone saw Vrbata's rapid fall coming - and he's gone July 1, so really, was it a bad signing?

Miller was brought in to bring some stability to the net. The 3 year signing was long enough to let Markstrom or Lack develop into a starter without the pressure, while still giving us a chance to win most/many nights.

As for a short term signing? If 2 and 3 years are too long, what kind of UFA vet are we going to get on 1 and 2 year terms? :/ Most of these short term signings are done so a player can re-establish his career - like Vrbata might be looking at in July (and generally those aren't 'heart and skill' guys).

Y'know what kind of vets we get on 1-2 year deals? The Matt Bartkowskis and Yannick Webers of the league!

There was really nothing wrong with the Miller and Vrbata signings. Short term solutions with low risk, and they aren't paid a ton. Not to mention who the hell else do we sign that could've helped at the time? Cap space is great and all if there are players available to use it on, oh and those players have to want to sign with the Canucks.

C'mon Tciso!! You act as though we had free run at all the UFAs throughout the league could determine salary and term at our leisure.

There's 29 other teams competing for the same pool of players.

Honestly, can you let me know who you would have rather spent the $11M on that we paid Miller and Vrbata?

Before you assemble that extensive list don't forget the had to be UFA, want to play in Vancouver, fall within our cap structure, we would have to outbid other suitors, fill the positions we needed, oh and by your standards be better players than Miller and Vrbata. I won't hold my breath. :roll:
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Topper » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:50 pm

Which is why I have never understood the hate for Luca Sbisa 3 yrs.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:09 pm

Topper wrote:Which is why I have never understood the hate for Luca Sbisa 3 yrs.

Rummy and Blob just rolled over in their grave!

Yes, singular. :mrgreen:

Yeah, two of the three years on that contract were UFA years.

Sbisa has intangibles (although numbers-crazed fancy-statters will tell you there's no such animal)

Sbisa plays a physical game on a team lacking in that area.

Sbisa is a great mentor on a youth-movement team (and he's not exactly 'old' himself!).

Sure Sbisa is a you-know-wot, but I forgive him....
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby micky107 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:15 pm

The Vrbata and Miller deals weren't horrible. About half a mill each less about right and that 1 mill wiggle room would have helped a bit this year in particular, maybe at the deadline, who knows. Like it's been said Vrbata is gone anyway, though I'm a bit pissed at his lack of enthusiasm this year. Have a feeling he's headed for Europe, who cares.
Major worry about keeping Miller another year: He is one of, if not the #1 goalie in regards to defending the big pads and net crashing. I'd make a good size bet that this summer the pads shrink and he'll have a tough time with it. He's also been really whiny to the refs this year, more than most, and we have enough trouble with that, thanks Alex. (Alex B is probably unmovable).
Every ones going to say well what do we do for goal? In a perfect world, Demko but if not for next year there are good cheaper tenders...
"evolution"
micky107
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby micky107 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:20 pm

Sbisa is good. Better if he didn't have to rotate partners 3 times a game.
"evolution"
micky107
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:27 pm

Miller has always been whinny. We ain't seeing nothing knew there.

Hopefully Demko will be in Utica next season. Hopefully we see Markstrom get a more even split of games. Hopefully Markstrom shows next season he is ready to be the number one. Hopefully after that we can let Miller walk.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:40 pm

micky107 wrote:Sbisa is good. Better if he didn't have to rotate partners 3 times a game.

Better still if he could play regularly on the left side.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:43 pm

Strangelove wrote:
micky107 wrote:Sbisa is good. Better if he didn't have to rotate partners 3 times a game.

Better still if he could play regularly on the left side.

For some reason that always gets overlooked when assessing Sbisa.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:44 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Hopefully Demko will be in Utica next season. Hopefully we see Markstrom get a more even split of games. Hopefully Markstrom shows next season he is ready to be the number one. Hopefully after that we can let Miller walk.

Yeah, we need Old Man Miller here for one more season.

He's been solid on an ever-changing injury-riddled youth-movement team.

And by solid I mean an average #1 goalie on an average #1 goalie salary. :mex:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Reefer2 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:50 pm

All I can add is that I want to win a cup, so many different paths to get there.

So many different options and examples of what to do and what not to do.

So many variables but having A PLAN and sticking with it is one way to move forward that would give you the best opportunity to be successful.
Reefer2
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Reefer2 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:52 pm

Strangelove wrote:

8-)

I will state that there was stretches where he played awesome and wondered how many calls did the Nucks get on him (if any)
Reefer2
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:05 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

8-)

I will state that there was stretches where he played awesome and wondered how many calls did the Nucks get on him (if any)

Don't know for sure, obviously, but heard SJS offered a 2nd for him over the summer, before they got Jones. But that may have been in response to Benning trying to get a second for Lack and SJS counter with we will give you a second for Miller type of thing.

He was not offered up in the summer or over the trade deadline. Other than that indontnknow any stories about him.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:10 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Arachnid wrote:According to Blob 'BlowHarder' McKenzie... a tank to draft 1st is what will solve everything :roll:

I just love how people take others posts out of context, no a #1 draft pick does not grantee success but NO one can say it doesn't help. Just as we have seen 2nd to 7th round picks develop into stars it is all about player development.

But every now and then a true star is available and supposedly this year there is one, Canucks would be stupid not do what they need to do to increase their chance of getting the top pick.

It's really all they have. Completely misinterpret what someone says or just make shit up to suit their narrative.

It's hilarious to watch Spidey post with Docs arm up his ass. I guess he had to lick pipe pretty good to come back after his last meltdown.
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat