First round picks

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Re: First round picks

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:25 am

RoyalDude wrote:I'm trying to remember what drives Blobby HFBoards mad, it's becoming so convoluted

- Gillis being fired
- Gillnan being fired
- Ballard bought out
- Booth bought out
- Pahlsson not resigned
- Roy not resigned
- Stanton let go
- Sestito let go
- Matthias let go
- Richardson let go
- he misses Lapierre
- wishes Sundin stayed longer
- Luongo's contract
- Luongo's trade
- Tortetella fired
- Lack of NTC's
- Lack of Lack
- Misses Andrew Alberts
- He misses Garrisons $30 million contract
- Misses Schroeder
- Misses Jensen
- He misses Mallet
- He misses Shinkaruk
- He misses Sauve
- He wants Rodin
- misses Zack Coke-assian
- he misses old man Bieksa
- he misses Gillis great drafting and developing
- he misses Marco Sturm

I'm not sure what's pisding him off anymore
If you aren't sure you really need to learn to read.

Elmer and his asset management and cap management are what irritates the Blobcat.His eye for 20-26 year old talent is also very suspect.

Nice list though , very thoughtful even though NONE of it was close to the mark. I really do worry about you guys and the fact that you don't appear to be able to read anymore. Is that what I have to look forward to in my 50's? I've got four years to get there .Too much scotch guard and paint thinner huffing I guess.
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:27 am

Arachnid wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:I'm trying to remember what drives Blobby HFBoards mad, it's becoming so convoluted

- Gillis being fired
- Gillnan being fired
- Ballard bought out
- Booth bought out
- Pahlsson not resigned
- Roy not resigned
- Stanton let go
- Sestito let go
- Matthias let go
- Richardson let go
- he misses Lapierre
- wishes Sundin stayed longer
- Luongo's contract
- Luongo's trade
- Tortetella fired
- Lack of NTC's
- Lack of Lack
- Misses Andrew Alberts
- He misses Garrisons $30 million contract
- Misses Schroeder
- Misses Jensen
- He misses Mallet
- He misses Shinkaruk
- He misses Sauve
- He wants Rodin
- misses Zack Coke-assian
- he misses old man Bieksa
- he misses Gillis great drafting and developing
- he misses Marco Sturm

I'm not sure what's pisding him off anymore
He can't stand that GMJB doesn't read the boards and listens to his brilliance the same way Xgmmg did.

:roll:

It is pretty much understood that Xgmmg was indeed, a puppet of CC poster Blob 'PoCo Harlem' McKenzie and that if he so much as had a hemorrhoidal itch Xgmmg would hand out a NTC to appease him...

Cupboards were stocked though (full of lard soup) :D
Once again did I say the cupboards were stocked? Emphatic no, I just said they weren't empty. I guess you read as well as the others. Carry on with the puppet show. :lol:
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:16 am

Arachnid wrote:...CC poster Blob 'PoCo Harlem' McKenzie
Maybe he has turned a Patrick Whiter Shade of Taylor Pyatt?

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:31 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
He can't stand that GMJB doesn't read the boards and listens to his brilliance the same way Xgmmg did.

:roll:

It is pretty much understood that Xgmmg was indeed, a puppet of CC poster Blob 'PoCo Harlem' McKenzie and that if he so much as had a hemorrhoidal itch Xgmmg would hand out a NTC to appease him...

Cupboards were stocked though (full of lard soup) :D
Once again did I say the cupboards were stocked? Emphatic no, I just said they weren't empty. I guess you read as well as the others. Carry on with the puppet show. :lol:
:lol: Our Lord und saviour hasn't been on the job for 2 years but you already have him written off because of a previous regimes lack of planning for a rebuild in a fickle market.

Can ones Hockey Business IQ be any lower?

I am very disappointed and embarrassed with you Blobcat :oops:

We have to give GMJB 5 years minimum to properly assess (and as an very intelligent Hockey Person has told me) sell off all of Xgmmgs assets and put his own stamp on the team.

Goodbye pork pie Subban 8-)

Xgmmg had 6 years to win the Cup and he failed and he inherited GMBB great line-up with cupboards full.
It's hard to imagine why you have such a Man Hard™ for Xgmmg....the only rational reason I can think of is that you are a Bure & Näslund apologist.... :roll:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:18 am

But, ESQ made a new thread to talk about how Jim Benning is doing.

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:44 am

Be nicer to Blob. He is part of the spirit of this and his occasional negativity (well, maybe more than occasional lately) represents a lot of the despair we all felt in 2011. We have gone downhill since and it hurts so good to be a fan of this club. Also, this board would be a lot less fun if Blob was not around.

Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:16 am

Aaronp18 wrote:
Cornuck wrote:
Tciso wrote: Both were good signings, but, just too long of term. Vrbata was great last year. So was Miller. But, Vrbata was wasted $$ this season, and Miller is only so/so, and also a waste for next year.

We need some vets, but I hope we can sign some UFAs with heart and skill. And, keep the terms short, so they don't become road blocks,
I don't think anyone saw Vrbata's rapid fall coming - and he's gone July 1, so really, was it a bad signing?

Miller was brought in to bring some stability to the net. The 3 year signing was long enough to let Markstrom or Lack develop into a starter without the pressure, while still giving us a chance to win most/many nights.

As for a short term signing? If 2 and 3 years are too long, what kind of UFA vet are we going to get on 1 and 2 year terms? :/ Most of these short term signings are done so a player can re-establish his career - like Vrbata might be looking at in July (and generally those aren't 'heart and skill' guys).
Y'know what kind of vets we get on 1-2 year deals? The Matt Bartkowskis and Yannick Webers of the league!

There was really nothing wrong with the Miller and Vrbata signings. Short term solutions with low risk, and they aren't paid a ton. Not to mention who the hell else do we sign that could've helped at the time? Cap space is great and all if there are players available to use it on, oh and those players have to want to sign with the Canucks.

C'mon Tciso!! You act as though we had free run at all the UFAs throughout the league could determine salary and term at our leisure.

There's 29 other teams competing for the same pool of players.

Honestly, can you let me know who you would have rather spent the $11M on that we paid Miller and Vrbata?

Before you assemble that extensive list don't forget the had to be UFA, want to play in Vancouver, fall within our cap structure, we would have to outbid other suitors, fill the positions we needed, oh and by your standards be better players than Miller and Vrbata. I won't hold my breath. :roll:
Sorry, I just saw this post. I don't object to either signing, and if I was in that position, I would make the same signings again. But, I stand by my point that the term was too long. 1 year too long for both (and, 2 years too long for Higgins, but who knew?? ). And, that is just the reality of the league. Teams hand out long contracts like candy, and get burned in the last few years. It's just the reality of the league. And, it doesn't change the fact that these 2 contracts were both a year too long.

I also don't have a solution to the problem. Vets want the guaranteed $$, and can usually demand it. If we didn't have a salary cap, I wouldn't give a crap. Also if we were signing guys who were under 30, a 2 or 3 year deal is a lot less risky, cuz no one can predict when a player will fall off the "cliff" as age catches up. And, yes, the 28 year old is demanding 5 year contracts. I know. But, to quote Homer Simpson: "but what are you gonna do?"
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ESQ » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:19 pm

Tciso wrote: I also don't have a solution to the problem.
Its pretty simple - have younger players contributing to your lineup that the team drafted and developed. Then you're not trying to get big pieces as UFAs, and you can get the lower-tier UFAs on 1-2 year terms.

From the Gillis Regime, Hamhuis was possibly the best UFA pickup - in spite of his decline, nobody would argue that his cap hit is too high for what he brings to the team, and he's off the books at age 33. Malhotra would be a close second, though many thought at the time that Gillis overpaid for a 3rd-line center, he was only signed for 3 years and had he stayed healthy, would have been an enormous contribution.

Compare that to the Sutter contract, where he's off the books at 31, and locked in for what should be his peak years.

Looking at the UFA market, its tough to figure out what Benning would be looking for. With Sutter, Baertschi and Horvat looking like second-liners for next year, and the tryouts for Tryamkin/Pedan/Larsen, Benning may not have to overpay on the UFA market for a top-6 forward or a defenseman. Which is a damn good position to be in, rather than having to open the wallet and pray the UFAs like your town.

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:05 pm

ESQ wrote: From the Gillis Regime, Hamhuis was possibly the best UFA pickup - in spite of his decline, nobody would argue that his cap hit is too high for what he brings to the team, and he's off the books at age 33.
Hamhuis shouldn't even be credited to Gillis. That was a no-brainer. Hammer was one of the most sought after UFA defensemen that season. Philly even packaged up a draft pick to Nashville (a 5th at the draft I believe) for his rights to negotiate a deal. He turned them down and Pittsburgh then burned a pick acquiring his rights from the Flyers.....still a no-go. Danny boy was coming home that summer unless the Canucks didn't want him. And, iirc, the other teams were offering more money than Gillis actually paid him.

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:13 pm

Meds wrote:Danny boy was coming home that summer unless the Canucks didn't want him. And, iirc, the other teams were offering more money than Gillis actually paid him.
That, in a nutshell, is why he's still a Canuck. Can't fault him, really, but I'm sure Benning can't wait to get rid of the NTC/NMC contracts he inherited thanks to eye-bags.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:56 pm

Lancer wrote:
Meds wrote:Danny boy was coming home that summer unless the Canucks didn't want him. And, iirc, the other teams were offering more money than Gillis actually paid him.
That, in a nutshell, is why he's still a Canuck. Can't fault him, really, but I'm sure Benning can't wait to get rid of the NTC/NMC contracts he inherited thanks to eye-bags.

Let's see how he does when he has to start hanging them out!
The only HW the Canucks need