2016 TRADE DEADLINE TRACKER

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: 2016 TRADE DEADLINE TRACKER

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:Wrong guy brah, I'm on the sidelines enjoying all of this,
Biting on Blob's routine I see.

But anyway I wasn't suggesting that you're upset.. doesn't mean you can't be polite and accept my invitation though. :thumbs:
Astounded that me and Topper were the only ones who saw this coming.
This again? The Canucks did what virtually everyone expected, and you continue to confuse frustration with shortsightedness.

I see some of what you claim to be better than going on around here, although I would point out that most of it is much more general frustration (eg. we all know Vrbata is worthless, some are irritated that a Benning acquisition is playing his way off the team and out of trade talks) or in my case recreational snarking - but go ahead and find the individuals who thought that we were going to get a 2nd rounder for Verbatim, or who are angry that Hamhuis didn't waive so we could ship him off for Drouin or whatever, and mock them.. because most of the board foresaw the exact outcome you're patting yourself on the back for calling.

dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

dbr wrote:
Topper wrote:At this rate, deadline day will be more boring than usual.
Shoulda called this thread "Standing Pat on Leap Day"
Hey Dude where's my gold star. 8-)

dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:If the Nucks do nothing today.....
Be prepared to be disappointed Reef.
Here's another back for you to pat 8-)

TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Bob Mackenzie was just on Radio 1040 and backed up exactly what Jim Benning said.

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:
It's hilarious watching you suck up to Strangelove [mod edit]

I miss those days, what a whipped dog you've become.
He's not quite "himself" anymore although I think I can see Peter Sellers ankle hanging out of his ass
Just to be safe...
I wouldn't show any emotion until you know for sure
What the fuck is this stupid shit doing being posted on a forum about talking hockey?

More idiots ruining another CC board with their personal attacks because they know nothing of the NHL.
What are you 12?
You guys are a bunch of pussies.

So what if you don't like how the team is trading. Put forth some ideas that you would like to see happen this Summer in the UFA market.

It can't be that fucking hard....unless you're afraid... :(
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Topper wrote:There is also this odd perception that Vancouver's GM operates in a vacuum and should be able to do deals without any input from other GMs.

Never having played many video games, I have to ask, they do that in EA Sports don't they? Maybe UVic could do a webinar.
I don't think there's any surprise - to most - that Benning wasn't getting top value from a bunch of cast offs and an NHL defenseman with a two team trade list.

If we operate in a vacuum and ignore where guys like Prust and Vrbata came from, Benning played the hand he was dealt and that's all there is to it.

It'll be interesting to see what play he makes with the ~$10m in cap hit coming off the books this summer and Vrbata, Prust, Bartkowski and Weber to replace. Maybe a bit more or less depending on what it takes to re-sign Hamhuis.. maybe 2-3 more rookies make the team and we have space to add a couple of $3-5m vets to the roster.

TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

TDA Rum wrote:Bob Mackenzie was just on Radio 1040 and backed up exactly what Jim Benning said.
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... s-1.446075

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

dbr wrote:
Topper wrote:There is also this odd perception that Vancouver's GM operates in a vacuum and should be able to do deals without any input from other GMs.

Never having played many video games, I have to ask, they do that in EA Sports don't they? Maybe UVic could do a webinar.
I don't think there's any surprise - to most - that Benning wasn't getting top value from a bunch of cast offs and an NHL defenseman with a two team trade list.

If we operate in a vacuum and ignore where guys like Prust and Vrbata came from, Benning played the hand he was dealt and that's all there is to it.

It'll be interesting to see what play he makes with the ~$10m in cap hit coming off the books this summer and Vrbata, Prust, Bartkowski and Weber to replace. Maybe a bit more or less depending on what it takes to re-sign Hamhuis.. maybe 2-3 more rookies make the team and we have space to add a couple of $3-5m vets to the roster.
It should and will be young D, maybe from Europe....with Edler, Tanev and When Hamstring signs it will shore up the veteran backend.

Marc-André Gragnani is available...that would give Blobster an aneurysm :D

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/ufa/defenseman/
Last edited by Arachnid on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

ukcanuck wrote:so now that we can't add anymore picks in this draft, how many do the canucks have?

A first in the top ten it seems and then what? Did we give up our second and third?

Just askin ...
Why can't we add more picks in this draft? :eh:

When did we grab that 9th overall where we picked Horvat? ;)

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Aaronp18 wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:so now that we can't add anymore picks in this draft, how many do the canucks have?

A first in the top ten it seems and then what? Did we give up our second and third?

Just askin ...
Why can't we add more picks in this draft? :eh:

When did we grab that 9th overall where we picked Horvat? ;)
Yeah, that's weird UK would see it like that. After the season is over and up to our pick we could acquire a bunch, although the other GMs are tighter than a hairy princess in a prison.

KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

While Hamhuis is clearly the better player today...

Russel is 5 years younger
There is a FAR better chance that Dallas will be able to re-sign Russel in the off season
Russel will come at a lower price tag than Hamhuis would moving forward

So even if the offers were very similar to both Calgary and Vancouver you can understand why Dallas picked Russel. They are potentially getting a 28 year old Dman for 3+ years vs Hamhuis for 2+ months.

Also I agree with Benning when he says there is more value keeping Hamhuis for the remainder of the season vs taking a shit last minute offer. Not only does taking a garbage last minute offer for a valuable player give you a reputation as a GM that can be fucked around, it also likely gives you less of a chance at being able to extend Hamhuis in the summer at a cap friendly number (if that is potentially a consideration), and likely rubs the other players the wrong way when they see a teammate like Hamhuis being shipped out for yesterdays trash.

Yes it is frustrating that they were not able to acquire any picks or prospects yesterday, but of all the transactions that could have been, I am least bent out of shape about the Hamhuis situation given the circumstances.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Topper wrote: Nill goes to great lengths to talk up Russell's physical play and shot blocking.
And he plays hard, he's a little bit of a ball of hate, he's a great shot blocker.
"That's probably a very good comp, a very good comparison, probably a little bit skater than Stephane was, but plays the same type of game. He's a little bit of a pit bull. He's from Western Canada, so he's got a little Texas and he's got that farmboy mentality and he's in guys' faces.
Any of that sound like Hamhuis?

Then there is this
On adding another defenseman with an expiring contract

"This gives us a lot of flexibility. It's a chance for him to come in and showcase his skills to us and if it's a good fit for us moving forward, it gives us an opportunity to talk to him before he becomes a free agent, so it's all good in that part of the business."

So you can't fathom a scenario where Nill acquires Hamhuis, and instead of talking about shot-blocking and physical play talks about poise, defensive awareness, and skating ability? The last bit could apply to Hamhuis as well. If the Stars picked him up, they absolutely could try to convince him to stay.

Anyways, no point in rehashing this day much further considering the only thing we did was lose a player for nothing. The Canucks went into the deadline expecting to make moves, and clearly failed to meet their own objectives.

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Topper wrote: Nill goes to great lengths to talk up Russell's physical play and shot blocking.
And he plays hard, he's a little bit of a ball of hate, he's a great shot blocker.
"That's probably a very good comp, a very good comparison, probably a little bit skater than Stephane was, but plays the same type of game. He's a little bit of a pit bull. He's from Western Canada, so he's got a little Texas and he's got that farmboy mentality and he's in guys' faces.
Any of that sound like Hamhuis?

Then there is this
On adding another defenseman with an expiring contract

"This gives us a lot of flexibility. It's a chance for him to come in and showcase his skills to us and if it's a good fit for us moving forward, it gives us an opportunity to talk to him before he becomes a free agent, so it's all good in that part of the business."

So you can't fathom a scenario where Nill acquires Hamhuis, and instead of talking about shot-blocking and physical play talks about poise, defensive awareness, and skating ability? The last bit could apply to Hamhuis as well. If the Stars picked him up, they absolutely could try to convince him to stay.

Anyways, no point in rehashing this day much further considering the only thing we did was lose a player for nothing. The Canucks went into the deadline expecting to make moves, and clearly failed to meet their own objectives.
They failed nothing. They get cap space, can resign the mentor Hamhuis to a good contract and have a reputation of a club that respects players and honours them and will not bend over for any two bits on the ground.

All the knowledgable hockey pundits clearly see it this way. The fickle fans see it only emotionally.

We are still in a playoff race last I checked...we can still catch the Avs if we overtake the Wild.

Cheer ffs 8-)

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Just askin ...

Of course we can still add picks. Trades can still be made. The prohibition is on players traded after the TDD not being eligible for the playoffs. Now it's highly unlikely we will get late round picks for our UFAs so a team has first rights to sign. But we could still trade some RFAs that don't fit in our plans, or roster players. Benning could still pull a rabbi out of his hat yet!
The only HW the Canucks need

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Island Nucklehead wrote:So you can't fathom a scenario where Nill acquires Hamhuis, and instead of talking about shot-blocking and physical play talks about poise, defensive awareness, and skating ability? The last bit could apply to Hamhuis as well. If the Stars picked him up, they absolutely could try to convince him to stay.
No doubt the talking points would change, but did they prefer a physical player for the payoffs over a puck mover? We don't know.

Yes, they could try to resign Hamhuis though he has already stated he would like to return to Vancouver, would give a home town discount and would consider pulling a Vermette. Now if you're Jim Nill, how would you weigh that?
Island Nucklehead wrote:Anyways, no point in rehashing this day much further considering the only thing we did was lose a player for nothing. The Canucks went into the deadline expecting to make moves, and clearly failed to meet their own objectives.
Did the Canucks expect to make moves? I certainly didn't expect them to do anything.

Cracknell is gone for a roster spot for Granlund and a possible Utica call up. Don't sweat a marginal 13th forward being picked up on waivers.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.