2016 TRADE DEADLINE TRACKER

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 2016 TRADE DEADLINE TRACKER

Post by Diehard1 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:09 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas- ... is-russell

Good read from the Dallas News.

Sounds like Benning was telling the truth, in the end Dallas chose Russell. One of the reasons was his ability to play both sides and the flexibility that gives the team. They also like his shot blocking and in your face attitude that Nill thinks is perfect playoff hockey.

Nill also said they weren't really ready to pull the trigger much earlier. It came down to targeting Russell in Jan, tracking Calgary since then, getting confirmation from them a few days ago that he was available as the Flames did want to re-sign him.

Also sounded like Gags was very involved and that's why they circled back to see if they could still land Hamhuis. A little in your face pay back from the Sandman that rightly Benning wanted no part of. That would have been getting ass f....in this case I think getting nothing rather than getting ass f...was the better approach. Nill said it would have been nice to add a second vet D man but not at the expense of giving up all you assets. They chose the one they wanted.

Sigh
Not sure I read the same from that interview that you did HW, I know they chose to go after Russell but it doesn't expressly say they chose him over Hamhuis. It's a bizarre situation that I hope isn't correct, because the owners have no idea what they are doing if they keep nixing these trades.

Regardless of the Hamhuis situation, and I feel badly for him given he's a good guy and some fans will dislike him for this, it's amazing to me that they couldn't trade any player for one single asset. Not one - not even a 7th rounder. Just amazing failure as an organization when teams like toronto, Carolina and calgary did just fine.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:16 pm

Ya I agree that it is indeed sad that we got nothing for anyone on our team. Deeply disappointing. I do think Benning would have jumped at the return Russell got though.
The only HW the Canucks need

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:10 am

Bennaling looked chubier today. Looks like he took a page from the Hamburgler and was busy eating burgers rather than working out deals. :lol:

Overtime
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Overtime » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:00 am

images.jpg
images.jpg (8.88 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
Strangelove wrote:Ve haff vays to make people "vaive" yah...
Bring us Vaives! and "Derlago's" too.

ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:46 am

Strangelove wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: Picking up Granlund and Larsen changed your mind about wanting picks back for our veterans? :lol:
No, the Granlund/Larsen/Etem pickups made me happy about deadline season.

(you implied I wasn't happy)
Rumsfeld wrote: The market for defensemen doesn't seem too dead to me.

Polak for two 2nds
Justin Shultz for a 3rd
Mike Weber for a 3rd
Kris Russell for a 1st/2nd and two prospects
JM Liles for a 3rd, 5th, prospect
Eric Gelinas for a 3rd
If you're not offered at least a 1st rounder for Hamhuis, you don't do the deal.

Where's the apology for completely misquoting me about expectations for Bart/Prust? :scowl:
I'm gonna pipe up on this one rum and coke, I agree with Doc here. If the genius had made the trades for Granlund Larson and Etem trades yesterday people would have said that the canucks did well to bolster their depth without having to give up a Hamhuis.

Sometimes the trades you don't make are the best ones. Considering we have a porous defensive with inconsistent players like Sbisa and Edler and it could be considered foolish to give away a dependable Hamhuis for a low draft picks from a contender who will be drafting in the 14 to 30 spot.

CrzyCanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by CrzyCanuck » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:21 am

On HFboard the fickle fans are showing their truest colour at the moment

Some of them would even go as far as saying they miss Gillis, yes, Mike Gillis :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why don't they bring back the cheese burger brothers ffs.

fucking fickle bunch
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:36 am

Forget the cheeseburglar or the UVic prof. I yearn for the days of Orca Bay and John McCaw.

Boycott the games until the Aquabros are gone.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:06 am

Diehard1 wrote: Not sure I read the same from that interview that you did HW, I know they chose to go after Russell but it doesn't expressly say they chose him over Hamhuis. It's a bizarre situation that I hope isn't correct, because the owners have no idea what they are doing if they keep nixing these trades.
That's how I read it also. Nill says they targetted two d-men and got on of them.
"We had one other defenseman that we were going after also and it came down to, we had two guys that we had targeted and we got one of those two, so that's all we were really looking forward to.

The timeline,two/three/four days out all seems to indicate they would be going through the same process with Vancouver and Hamhuis. Calgary decided they had to get something for Russell and Vancouver couldn't pull the trigger.

Regardless of the Hamhuis situation, and I feel badly for him given he's a good guy and some fans will dislike him for this, it's amazing to me that they couldn't trade any player for one single asset. Not one - not even a 7th rounder. Just amazing failure as an organization when teams like toronto, Carolina and calgary did just fine.
Yeah anyone who blames Hamhuis for this is an idiot. He didn't want to go anywhere, the organization wanted to move him, he gave them options, they blew it.

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:56 am

Hockey Widow wrote:Ya I agree that it is indeed sad that we got nothing for anyone on our team. Deeply disappointing. I do think Benning would have jumped at the return Russell got though.
Deeply distressing, we all might as well place the barrell firmly right under our chins and pull the trigger, what's the point in continuing?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:58 am

RoyalDude wrote: we all might as well place the barrell firmly right under our chins and pull the trigger,
You first..

ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:35 am

so now that we can't add anymore picks in this draft, how many do the canucks have?

A first in the top ten it seems and then what? Did we give up our second and third?

Just askin ...

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:40 am

dbr wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: we all might as well place the barrell firmly right under our chins and pull the trigger,
You first..
Wrong guy brah, I'm on the sidelines enjoying all of this, watching the pandemonium of tears flooding the streets of Canuck nation mixed in with the urine. I don't know, I guess I ain't shittin' me drawers of not getting a 2nd round pick for Hamhius and a 5th round pick for a struggling old man who is injured in Vrbata. Astounded that me and Topper were the only ones who saw this coming. All of you have a tendency to over evaluate Canuck players. It's the Canuck way. Anyhow, carry on Prozac Nation
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:52 am

RoyalDude wrote:
dbr wrote:
You first..
Wrong guy brah, I'm on the sidelines enjoying all of this, watching the pandemonium of tears flooding the streets of Canuck nation mixed in with the urine. I don't know, I guess I ain't shittin' me drawers of not getting a 2nd round pick for Hamhius and a 5th round pick for a struggling old man who is injured in Vrbata. Astounded that me and Topper were the only ones who saw this coming. All of you have a tendency to over evaluate Canuck players. It's the Canuck way. Anyhow, carry on Prozac Nation
There is also this odd perception that Vancouver's GM operates in a vacuum and should be able to do deals without any input from other GMs.

Never having played many video games, I have to ask, they do that in EA Sports don't they? Maybe UVic could do a webinar.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:01 am

"We had one other defenseman that we were going after also and it came down to, we had two guys that we had targeted and we got one of those two, so that's all we were really looking forward to.
The only possible mention of Hamhuis in the Dallas article..........but don't read too much into it or you might wonder where he sits on the bench.

Nill goes to great lengths to talk up Russell's physical play and shot blocking.
And he plays hard, he's a little bit of a ball of hate, he's a great shot blocker.
"That's probably a very good comp, a very good comparison, probably a little bit skater than Stephane was, but plays the same type of game. He's a little bit of a pit bull. He's from Western Canada, so he's got a little Texas and he's got that farmboy mentality and he's in guys' faces.
Any of that sound like Hamhuis?

Then there is this
On adding another defenseman with an expiring contract

"This gives us a lot of flexibility. It's a chance for him to come in and showcase his skills to us and if it's a good fit for us moving forward, it gives us an opportunity to talk to him before he becomes a free agent, so it's all good in that part of the business."
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:16 am

Hockey Widow wrote:http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas- ... is-russell

Good read from the Dallas News.

Sounds like Benning was telling the truth, in the end Dallas chose Russell. One of the reasons was his ability to play both sides and the flexibility that gives the team. They also like his shot blocking and in your face attitude that Nill thinks is perfect playoff hockey.

Nill also said they weren't really ready to pull the trigger much earlier. It came down to targeting Russell in Jan, tracking Calgary since then, getting confirmation from them a few days ago that he was available as the Flames did want to re-sign him.

Also sounded like Gags was very involved and that's why they circled back to see if they could still land Hamhuis. A little in your face pay back from the Sandman that rightly Benning wanted no part of. That would have been getting ass f....in this case I think getting nothing rather than getting ass f...was the better approach. Nill said it would have been nice to add a second vet D man but not at the expense of giving up all you assets. They chose the one they wanted.

Sigh
GMJB can't lose face to the rest of the league. If Hammer goes for a 5th or 4th then he looks weak.
Stand strong Jimbo stand strong! :thumbs:

It was a cautious and dull day for all GMs. If you think holding onto the local and loyal Hamhuis was a betrayal to fickle Canuck fans (shades of loser Laugh fans and Sundin I might add) then in Minnesota they are out right lynching their management team.

We can still catch the Wild. We have 3 games in hand, a hungry youth reich and UVic grads in the fan base....how can we not do it?!

Go Canucks!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)