Shinkaruk to Flames for Granlund

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Shinkaruk to Flames for Granlund

Post by Arbour » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:48 pm

From knowledgeable Utica watchers: Shinkaruk has the innate natural ability to get into the open and find the puck from a rebound or a pass as he arrives and can convert in those situations which is generally how he gets his points, however, his passing is not particularly good, nor is his ability to carry the puck, his defensive game needs work and he is easily pushed off the puck. He can disappear for whole periods, but will score if left open. Consensus from the above is that he is still a work in progress and will need more time in the AHL, since the deficiencies in his game at this time, in spite of his point production, would not translate well at the next level.

Green seems to have a handle on his players and I would be surprised if he didn't have input into this deal. While Benning has the final say he certainly didn't ignore Green's input when acquiring Baertschi. Granlund's AHL point production is somewhat similar to Shinkaruk's ie 25 goals and 21 assists in 52 games in 2013/14 as a 20 year old.

Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:52 pm

That descritpion can be condensed to one word. "Europe"

Arbour wrote:From knowledgeable Utica watchers: Shinkaruk has the innate natural ability to get into the open and find the puck from a rebound or a pass as he arrives and can convert in those situations which is generally how he gets his points, however, his passing is not particularly good, nor is his ability to carry the puck, his defensive game needs work and he is easily pushed off the puck. He can disappear for whole periods, but will score if left open. Consensus from the above is that he is still a work in progress and will need more time in the AHL, since the deficiencies in his game at this time, in spite of his point production, would not translate well at the next level.

Green seems to have a handle on his players and I would be surprised if he didn't have input into this deal. While Benning has the final say he certainly didn't ignore Green's input when acquiring Baertschi. Granlund's AHL point production is somewhat similar to Shinkaruk's ie 25 goals and 21 assists in 52 games in 2013/14 as a 20 year old.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:04 pm

More from the Canucks on their reasoning for the trade:

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=870087
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:07 pm

SKYO wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Absolutely retarded trade. :lol:
I would have rather seen a 2nd rounder come back, whether it's from this year or next. Why exactly do they need another small, light player who isn't especially fast.
Bullshit, you know damn well your ass would be like,

*great, we traded a 1st round draftee for a 2nd, pissing away youth hey Benning?

OR

*now watch we trade that 2nd with prust for Ladd. lmfao
Yeah ok Sopping Cart . Because I didn't like the Vey trade I would complain about recouping a 2nd rounder for a supposedly redundant asset instead of another 150 pound centre because hey why not have four jockeys playing the middle on an NHL team instead of three right. Between Vey, Sutter , McCann and now Granlund they made add up to six hundred pounds with their gear on . Quite a rough tough bunch to play against.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:19 pm

Cornuck wrote:More from the Canucks on their reasoning for the trade:

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=870087

Good write up or good spin?

But the still biggest unanswered question:

What number will Granlund wear?
The only HW the Canucks need

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:20 pm

Lol Elmer wants to make the playoffs. Deadly shit right there. I want to fuck Christy Turlington in the ass too and I may have a better shot than Elmer.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:21 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
SKYO wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Absolutely retarded trade. :lol:
I would have rather seen a 2nd rounder come back, whether it's from this year or next. Why exactly do they need another small, light player who isn't especially fast.
Bullshit, you know damn well your ass would be like,

*great, we traded a 1st round draftee for a 2nd, pissing away youth hey Benning?

OR

*now watch we trade that 2nd with prust for Ladd. lmfao
Yeah ok Sopping Cart . Because I didn't like the Vey trade I would complain about recouping a 2nd rounder for a supposedly redundant asset instead of another 150 pound centre because hey why not have four jockeys playing the middle on an NHL team instead of three right. Between Vey, Sutter , McCann and now Granlund they made add up to six hundred pounds with their gear on . Quite a rough tough bunch to play against.

Blob the simple answer may be that no one offered a second. Benning did say he shopped Shinkaruk and in the end this was the deal they wanted. Who knows.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:23 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Lol Elmer wants to make the playoffs. Deadly shit right there. I want to fuck Christy Turlington in the ass too and I may have a better shot than Elmer.

He is consistent :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But what else can he say at this point really. I think they know they are done. Sure mathematically they still have a ways to go but inthinkmthey know they are done.

Gawd I hope so anyway.

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:25 pm

HW then why the rush to trade him for a 170 pound player who HAS TO PASS THROUGH FUCKING WAIVERS NEXT SEASON AND WE ALREADY HAVE THE SOFTEST TEAM IN THE HISTORY OF THE LEAGUE? It makes no fucking sense. I have no problem trading Shinkaruk but why target a bottom end little player?

The Brown Wizard
CC Legend

Post by The Brown Wizard » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:27 pm

He's stealth tanking. Load up on pussies then watch them quiver into a top pick
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:32 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:HW then why the rush to trade him for a 170 pound player who HAS TO PASS THROUGH FUCKING WAIVERS NEXT SEASON AND WE ALREADY HAVE THE SOFTEST TEAM IN THE HISTORY OF THE LEAGUE? It makes no fucking sense. I have no problem trading Shinkaruk but why target a bottom end little player?
I"m guessing this is the biggest reason:
Canucks.com wrote:"I relied on John (Weisbrod) as we were going through this process on Markus to hear about the intangibles on the player and he speaks very highly of him and really likes him as a person and a kid,” Benning said. “And we liked the way he plays on the ice. So (Weisbrod) was a big reason why we went through and made this deal."
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:46 pm

So another center - to go along with Horvat, McCann, Sutter, Hank. Hank may only have a few years left but the rest will be around for a while. He can also play LW which is where Shinkaruk played, so I doubt he's earmarked for that spot. Weird deal from a position standpoint.

I agree with Jimbo on one thing - Gaunce is a better prospect than Shinky and I'd much rather him on LW on the 3rd or 4th line. He can play a much heavier game which is needed.

So we now have the following forwards for the Roster next year, assuming RFAs are signed:

Hank
Dan
Burrows
Jannik
Bo
Sven
Virtanen
Sutter
Dorsett
Granlund
Vey
McCann
Etem

Definitely a full roster but doesn't include any upgrades. Also doesn't include guys like Freisen, Rodin, Gaunce, Grenier who might make the roster.

D is still very thin. I assume they will be targeting Dmen both at the deadline and draft. Hopefully we can get a couple of good ones because they are badly needed.

Have to say I'm getting tired of weird trades. Would be nice to have one that made sense right off the bat. That said the Sven trade looks pretty good so I can't hate on Jimbo too much yet for this one.

rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:09 pm

Have to say I'm getting tired of weird trades. Would be nice to have one that made sense right off the bat. That said the Sven trade looks pretty good so I can't hate on Jimbo too much yet for this one.
Hey DieHard, problem as I see it is team has little quality to trade and not enough depth in the system yet to make an impact deal...

Fringe players in fringe deals....

Gotta smile at the over reaction in Nuck land. Didn't realize how many fans watch the AHL games so closely that they can have a strong reaction to this deal. Mind you we have media still whining about the loss of Corrado.

Take care...

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:11 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:HW then why the rush to trade him for a 170 pound player who HAS TO PASS THROUGH FUCKING WAIVERS NEXT SEASON AND WE ALREADY HAVE THE SOFTEST TEAM IN THE HISTORY OF THE LEAGUE? It makes no fucking sense. I have no problem trading Shinkaruk but why target a bottom end little player?
I don't get the rush either Blob. Similar to the Sven deal last year, why did it need to be done when it was. Benning does seem fixated on 20+ year old reclamation projects that " are further along in their development" compared to the player they traded. Vey for a 2nd, Jensen for Etem, Sven for a 2nd, Shinkaruk for Granlund, Forsling for Clendenning.

I don't think Shinkaruk had much trade value. I also agree that the Weisbrod factor is huge on this team.

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:21 pm

If they do intend to have Granlund stick for the remainder of the season, than it's more than likely Vey is either a) out long term with an injury, or b) trade bait.

Once Sutter returns, I could see Granlund sent to the farm to play #1C while allowing Gaunce to move back to the left side the where club prefers him. The Comets are sorely lacking in centre depth, in particular top six. Vey isn't going back down, so why not groom Granlund under Green for the remainder of the season and see if the Comets can't make another run for the post-season?