15/16 Canucks at the 1/4 point vs. 1/2 point vs 3/4 point

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: 15/16 Canucks at the Quarter Point vs Half Point

Postby KeyserSoze » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:06 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:As of today we've got a 32.9% chance of making the playoffs.

Who would we rather get steamrolled by, Dallas/Chicago or LA? I can see a guy like Jamie Benn getting up to smash the piss out of his hometown team, and I'd probably rather get dummied by the Stars than by the Hawks or Kings again.

They would be lucky to see a game 6 vs the Hawks or Kings.

A series vs Dallas would certainly be more winnable in comparison. Every game vs Dallas this season has at least been close - shootout loss, OT loss, and a 4-2 loss (with the 4th into an empty net).
User avatar
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:39 am

Re: 15/16 Canucks at the Quarter Point vs Half Point

Postby Meds » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:52 pm

ESQ wrote:After hearing Benning on the radio yesterday, he sounds extremely loathe to sell at the TDD, almost like he's philosophically opposed to the idea of selling useful vets. So might as well start cheering for wins instead of a tank!
:drink:

In 2 games, the Canucks went from hopelessly out of the race, to 2 points back from the 2nd wild card and 3 points back (with 3 games in hand) from the 1st wild card.


FFS.

At this point I hope we miss the playoffs by 1 point, losing our final game to the Oilers in a shitkicking just to prove to Elmer that this team is NOT deserving of a playoff spot.

How is it that they can take this approach when everyone with half a brain knows that we would be 10 points out of the playoffs if Anaheim and San Jose hadn't badly underachieved to start the year?

After the trade deadline we play 5 of 8 games against teams that are in the hunt for either that 3rd Pacific spot, or a wildcard berth. 10 of our 16 games in March are against teams that are in that hunt. If you consider our 7 remaining games in February we are squaring off against teams that are desperately trying to make the playoffs, or hold onto a spot that we are chasing, in 16 of 22.

What will his spin be after the deadline when we've lost 4 of 5 to the Sharks and see them move 8 points up on us.....or is it 16 points since those are technically "4 point games"?

Edler is out for 6 weeks. Sutter is gone for another 6 weeks.

We're sitting 22nd overall right now, and if not for some shit hot goaltending from Miller, and some real lucky, we could be looking up at Arizona instead of down. There are 4 points between us and the 26th place Jets. We have 2 games with them in March. This team is finishing 21-27 for sure (nobody catching Toronto, Buffalo, and Edmonton).
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5392
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: 15/16 Canucks at the Quarter Point vs Half Point

Postby Fifty Fifty » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:18 pm

Meds wrote:
ESQ wrote:After hearing Benning on the radio yesterday, he sounds extremely loathe to sell at the TDD, almost like he's philosophically opposed to the idea of selling useful vets. So might as well start cheering for wins instead of a tank!
:drink:

In 2 games, the Canucks went from hopelessly out of the race, to 2 points back from the 2nd wild card and 3 points back (with 3 games in hand) from the 1st wild card.


FFS.

At this point I hope we miss the playoffs by 1 point, losing our final game to the Oilers in a shitkicking just to prove to Elmer that this team is NOT deserving of a playoff spot.

How is it that they can take this approach when everyone with half a brain knows that we would be 10 points out of the playoffs if Anaheim and San Jose hadn't badly underachieved to start the year?

After the trade deadline we play 5 of 8 games against teams that are in the hunt for either that 3rd Pacific spot, or a wildcard berth. 10 of our 16 games in March are against teams that are in that hunt. If you consider our 7 remaining games in February we are squaring off against teams that are desperately trying to make the playoffs, or hold onto a spot that we are chasing, in 16 of 22.

What will his spin be after the deadline when we've lost 4 of 5 to the Sharks and see them move 8 points up on us.....or is it 16 points since those are technically "4 point games"?

Edler is out for 6 weeks. Sutter is gone for another 6 weeks.

We're sitting 22nd overall right now, and if not for some shit hot goaltending from Miller, and some real lucky, we could be looking up at Arizona instead of down. There are 4 points between us and the 26th place Jets. We have 2 games with them in March. This team is finishing 21-27 for sure (nobody catching Toronto, Buffalo, and Edmonton).


What else can Benning say? "....well, we don't really give a shit about the rest of the season so please look for signs on the telephone poles and we'll have everything out on the lawn on Sunday..."?

If neither Hamhuis nor Vrbata is gone by the trade deadline then Benning is a moron, but there is really no reason to believe that will happen based on what he is saying.
Fifty Fifty
AHL Prospect
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: 15/16 Canucks at the Quarter Point vs Half Point

Postby 5thhorseman » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:29 pm

Fifty Fifty wrote:What else can Benning say? "....well, we don't really give a shit about the rest of the season so please look for signs on the telephone poles and we'll have everything out on the lawn on Sunday..."?

If neither Hamhuis nor Vrbata is gone by the trade deadline then Benning is a moron, but there is really no reason to believe that will happen based on what he is saying.

Benning has been pretty upfront with everything he's done so far, so I can't see him saying one thing in this interview and then doing another. Based on that I think he'll try to sign Hamhuis as he's been playing well since returning and we don't have a lot of defensive depth.

I can see him trading Vrbata, though, based on last year's playoff performance, and be still consistent with the statements in HW's post.
User avatar
5thhorseman
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: 15/16 Canucks at the Quarter Point vs Half Point

Postby Reefer2 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:34 am

We will know in 3 weeks.

We will hear we were not offered anything worth while and then the team is committed to make the playoffs.
User avatar
Reefer2
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2705
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: 15/16 Canucks at the 1/4 point vs. 1/2 point vs 3/4 poin

Postby ESQ » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:17 pm

I updated the OP with stats from the 3/4 mark.

The team has remained sadly consistent, while LA and Anaheim turned their seasons around, the Canucks stayed consistently mediocre. It is shocking to me that this team hasn't strung together 3 wins in a row.

While some (many?) felt the team has been out of the playoff race since before Christmas, I personally wasn't ready to give up hope until the Canucks got through the San Jose games. With the 4 games down the stretch, if the Canucks had run the table and taken all 4, they would have been right back in the hunt in the Pacific.

Unfortunately, I think the management may have thought the same thing, which would explain why deadline dealing didn't happen earlier in February.

On the bright side, the rookies are all showing signs of improvement as the season wears on. Horvat was ridiculously hot in Feb, and could very well crack 40 points. Since his call-up, Vey has also been scoring at a 40-point pace, with more even-strength production than last year. McCann has cooled off with 2 goals since October, but he hasn't looked out of place. Virtanen has been significantly better since the World Juniors debacle.

I think the loss of Sutter had an enormous impact on the fortunes of the Canucks. Losing Sutter really took a toll on the center depth, and we ended up seeing Horvat take the tough minutes (and wind up with an ugly +/-), and McCann was forced into a more significant role as well.

As I see it, there has been a good amount of individual progress made this season by a slew of players, but that didn't translate to team progress. At this point of the season, its good to see the kids get more responsibility and its even better to see them flourish (especially Hutton).

I believe this could be a playoff team next year, but the development of Edmonton will have a huge impact on the Canucks making the postseason. McDavid seems to be the kind of player who, like Sid, turns the franchise around in the sophomore year.
ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1285
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: 15/16 Canucks at the 1/4 point vs. 1/2 point vs 3/4 poin

Postby Strangelove » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:22 pm

ESQ wrote:I updated the OP with stats from the 3/4 mark.


Nice to see so many of the kids responding well to the increased icetime over the last quarter.

(Baer, Virtanen, Vey, Etem)
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 14190
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Previous

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests