15/16 Canucks at the 1/4 point vs. 1/2 point vs 3/4 point

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: 15/16 Canucks at the Quarter Point

Postby RoyalDude » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:50 am

Rumsfeld wrote:
Meds wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:
Hey, it could happen. It probably won't.

That's really one of my few long-term concerns; we have some nice prospects in the pipe but I don't see anything of the true high-end-skill variety. A top-5 pick and a little good fortune would hopefully remedy that.

How the Canucks got fleeced by Kesler and the Ducks and how McCann failed all the way down to the Nucks... I have a strong feeling that McCann is a gift from the Hockey God.

Ryan Kesler: 28GP 3G 8A minus-11 $6.875M per season until 2022

Jared McCann: 28GP 6G 3A even-steven $894K per season until 2018

Yeah.....I'll take that deal again.

Regardless of how McCann turns out it's a shitty return. Should have got the 10th overall or a top D prospect. Nice to see we might have lucked out with our pick and Kesler is sucking though.

The 10th pick was never gonna happen. Murray was quite clear on that.

The Canucks were never gonna fleece the Ducks cause the Ducks were the only team Kesler waived for. Benning was quite adamant on not having another sideshow distraction a la how Gillis handled Luongo, not to mention Kesler was a year away from UFA and 31 at the time. At the time we were never gonna win the trade but now? Sutter, Sbisa, McCann? We clearly won even with the odds stacked against us

Kesler turns 32 this year and just started a 6 year $7 million per contract. LMAO, 3 goals 8 assists, minus 11, enjoy that one Anaheim
Last edited by RoyalDude on Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Rumsfeld » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:57 am

Kesler has since denied there was a two-team list. Not that Kesler has a history of being honest, but yeah.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Postby RoyalDude » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:00 pm

There was a rumour that Chicago was on the list but even if they were we all know that wasn't going to happen because of the Hawks cap issues
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Hockey Widow » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:02 pm

Add to that that Murray was pissed the TDD deal fell through. They wanted Kesler for that playoff drive and felt MG strung them along to the final hour thus preventing them from getting someone else. Murray vowed then that any deal for Kesler would be less than what they offered on TDD. That deal, allegedly rejected by MG because it did not involve any roster players, was said to involve both firsts and a prospect. We will never know the truth.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby RoyalDude » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:05 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Add to that that Murray was pissed the TDD deal fell through. They wanted Kesler for that playoff drive and felt MG strung them along to the final hour thus preventing them from getting someone else. Murray vowed then that any deal for Kesler would be less than what they offered on TDD. That deal, allegedly rejected by MG because it did not involve any roster players, was said to involve both firsts and a prospect. We will never know the truth.

And now he's a professor of sports law at UVIC, shunned by the NHL and 16,000 people at Rogers Arena - "Fire Gillis!"
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby damonberryman » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:12 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:How 'bout them Sedin twins, gee diddley whiz. Pretty awesome.

Franchise records are going to be all Sedin soon. :blush:

They are exactly what every person needs to emulate. There are few better players in the NHL. Despite their accomplishments and consistent production they were not ranked in the top 40 out of 50 players by the NHL magazine. That was disgraceful yet I doubt it bothers either of them because they are class and all grown up.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Tiger » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:09 pm

" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 15/16 Canucks at the Quarter Point vs Half Point

Postby ESQ » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:49 pm

I updated the team stats and projections in the OP.

Incredibly, the Canucks are still in the thick of the hunt in the Pacific, as no team has separated from the bottom-feeders to put some space between 3rd seed and the rest.

If the Canucks presently have the 3rd-highest IIT metric (which is some calculation of importance of injured player, didn't really dig into it too deeply). Without the 2nd line center, two of the top-4 D, and the starting goalie, the Canucks are doing fairly well to keep their heads above water, especially against the far-healthier San Jose, Calgary and Anaheim.

The shocking thing is, the Canucks, presently sitting 2 points out of bottom-5 lottery pick territory, could very easily go on a minor run and wind up with home-ice advantage in the first round.

If they just carry on as they have been, they could be a point away from a lottery pick vs 3rd in the Pac at the end of the year!

When it comes to buying or selling at the deadline, it will be a tough call. Of course, with all this parity, it could be that there are fewer sellers and therefore the assets' value goes up. However, since a 3rd-seed is most likely, and the odds are facing a Central opponent in the first round, there's really no point spending any assets given the terrible record the Canucks have had against the Central opponents. This is different from last year, where the Canucks actually had a clear path to the third round had they just not been out-played by Calgary.

I predicted before the season that the Canucks would return to the playoffs and the Flames would miss. In spite of all that's happened, and a .500 record in January, that is still a possible outcome to this odd season.
ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Island Nucklehead » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:00 pm

ESQ wrote:When it comes to buying or selling at the deadline, it will be a tough call. Of course, with all this parity, it could be that there are fewer sellers and therefore the assets' value goes up. However, since a 3rd-seed is most likely, and the odds are facing a Central opponent in the first round, there's really no point spending any assets given the terrible record the Canucks have had against the Central opponents. This is different from last year, where the Canucks actually had a clear path to the third round had they just not been out-played by Calgary.

The only chance we play a Central division team in round 1 is if we get one of the wildcard spots or come 1st in the division, and that's not happening. Divisional 2nd and 3rd place teams face each other in the first round. It's likely the two worst teams in the playoffs will play each other round 1.

I don't see us being a seller, if only because our rental assets aren't worth a whole lot given the individual seasons they're having.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:09 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:Divisional 2nd and 3rd place teams face each other in the first round.

So what you're saying is... we have a decent shot of winning the first round if we make the playoffs. :wink:

Island Nucklehead wrote:I don't see us being a seller, if only because our rental assets aren't worth a whole lot given the individual seasons they're having.

I still think Benning will trade Vrbata and Hamhuis.

I still think he will get a decent return on them.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:30 pm

Great effort Esq but you made a mistake saying the team is missing two top four d men . Tanev is back now and he only missed a few games .
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:21 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Great effort Esq but you made a mistake saying the team is missing two top four d men . Tanev is back now and he only missed a few games .

LOL Blob likes to think Bart/Weber/greenHutton is one of our Top 4 dee.

(rather than some other defenceman who shall remain nameless) :wink:

What about after we trade Hamhuis?

What then Blobby... WHAT THEN?? :mrgreen:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby SKYO » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:46 pm

Nice work ESQ.

Strangelove wrote:I still think Benning will trade Vrbata and Hamhuis.

One of them will be traded for sure, as the team can't afford to re-sign both of them, as TL said in the summer.

"I agree" Trevor Linden's response to a fan question about how Hamhuis/Vrbata need to either be re-signed or dealt.

It'll all come down to if Hamhuis will re-sign more cheaper than his current contract for some job term security, if not, he'll get dealt.

Or if we are still out of a wild card spot by mid-February then both dealt, kinda think the Ducks find their stride as they are built for a playoff run.

Then again if we get all our players back incl. blob's fave player #4/#5 dman Sbisa whom plays really with Hutton + the ultimate swissarmy utility guy Sutter + Hamhuis, things could turn around for this squad as well.

Sharks got some talent, should be a interesting time from now till the TDD.
Canucks 2017/18
A NEW HOPE
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:43 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Great effort Esq but you made a mistake saying the team is missing two top four d men . Tanev is back now and he only missed a few games .

Luca is number 8 in terms of average icetime . Does that tell you anything ?
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:58 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

Luca is number 8 in terms of average icetime . Does that tell you anything ?

Luca??

Who the hell said anything about Luca Sbisa??? :crazy:

:mrgreen:

Just kidding, now listen up brah...

Luca Sbisa averaged just under 20 minutes per game over the last 4 games he played before his latest injury.

Try to keep up Blobster! :scowl:

Overall his numbers are skewed this year due to all his injuries.

(he's only played 16 full games, for example)

Consider this though, over the last 2 months of last season...

(February 5 to April 11)

... he averaged about the same (just under 20 minutes per game) as well.

So yeah, when healthy that seems to be his average number over the last calendar year or so.

Just under 20 minutes per game.

I know you don't... want... him to be one of your Top 4 dee Blob?

... but danged if he ain't! :thumbs:

But hey, if you sleep better with the idea replacement player Yannick Fucking Weber is one of your Top 4

... hey it's a free country. :mex:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat