Willy D death watch...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Willy D death watch...

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Arachnid wrote:
The coach got us overachieving last year. No way is he at fault this year. Keep him around another year at the very least. He's doing a good job with developing the young'ns.
If we suck worse next year too then we get another top 5 and fire him.
Probably right, I wasn't terribly impressed this year, but he likely has another year to try to make it work
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
The coach got us overachieving last year. No way is he at fault this year. Keep him around another year at the very least. He's doing a good job with developing the young'ns.
If we suck worse next year too then we get another top 5 and fire him.
Probably right, I wasn't terribly impressed this year, but he likely has another year to try to make it work
Our expectations are too low.
If all the media and all the knowledgeable hockey people around town keep predicting low results from a rebuilding team then that's exactly the way it will play.
This is not rocket science.......................................
"evolution"
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

micky107 wrote:
Our expectations are too low.
If all the media and all the knowledgeable hockey people around town keep predicting low results from a rebuilding team then that's exactly the way it will play.
This is not rocket science.......................................
There needs to be seen to be upwards progress next year
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lancer wrote:I don't see this death watch happening until this time next year. He won't be judged by whether the team makes the playoffs or not but how it does so or not. If the kids develop and the vets play like they give a shit, the record and standings won't matter so much, no matter what management says. Everybody knows this won't be a painless transition and there something to be said for stability after 3 coaches in 4 years.

This trip will try management's patience, but unless they see the trip stemming from mismanagement of the kids (don't think so) or the team tuning out t coach (and firing Willie may not be the answer anyway) I don't see Willie walking the plank any time soon.

That said, unless we see something we haven't seen before, I don't see Willie as the kind of coach to lead the team into contention. He may learn in time, but he been schooled by wilier coaches even this year.

In that event, Travis Green makes a good plan B.
One year later WD's last chance at redemption at creating a NHL career as coach.

Tough gig with a team in transition.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

SKYO wrote:
Lancer wrote:I don't see this death watch happening until this time next year. He won't be judged by whether the team makes the playoffs or not but how it does so or not. If the kids develop and the vets play like they give a shit, the record and standings won't matter so much, no matter what management says. Everybody knows this won't be a painless transition and there something to be said for stability after 3 coaches in 4 years.

This trip will try management's patience, but unless they see the trip stemming from mismanagement of the kids (don't think so) or the team tuning out t coach (and firing Willie may not be the answer anyway) I don't see Willie walking the plank any time soon.

That said, unless we see something we haven't seen before, I don't see Willie as the kind of coach to lead the team into contention. He may learn in time, but he been schooled by wilier coaches even this year.

In that event, Travis Green makes a good plan B.
One year later WD's last chance at redemption at creating a NHL career as coach.

Tough gig with a team in transition.
I still think management's expectations are managed - and I think they've been walking the line by saying they're aiming for the playoffs while not going around town saying this is a playoff team. If they don't make the playoffs, it won't be that fact which hangs WD but how they managed to miss the playoffs, and how the youngsters developed or didn't.

A new season, a fresh walk down the plank...
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

This is the season, of giving Willie what he wants, it reeks of WD. So, WD don't gives no shit about developing kids which apparently was why he was brought in, in the first place. Apparently he is good with the kids???? Willie is out to save Willie, but ole clipboard IMO is not cut out for the big leagues.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Nine games in fifteen days, (seven of them at home), could decide his future.
If we only get 5 or 6 points, that's it for him, (guessing)
Maybe he has the golden pass contract?
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

RoyalDude wrote:This is the season, of giving Willie what he wants, it reeks of WD. So, WD don't gives no shit about developing kids which apparently was why he was brought in, in the first place. Apparently he is good with the kids???? Willie is out to save Willie, but ole clipboard IMO is not cut out for the big leagues.

Then who is?!? And why??

Your always so quick to bitch and bring up everyone else's shortcoming.
How about you always bitch, but never offer any alternatives or insight?

Shit... isn't it you that says Travis is better at developing talent?? If that's true, then wouldn't these young guys be better off in Utica developing??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

If the team is healthy and comes out like a rotten egg.....say 4-14-2 in their first 20 games, then I expect to see Benning pull the trigger.

Otherwise Willie is here until next spring, and.....

If Willie utilizes his players like he did last season, playing plugs and scrubs over young guys who deserve a shot or need a look, then I expect to see him walk the plank in April.

If the team gets riddled with injuries (again) but he develops some of the kids, then he will live to die another day no matter what the results.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:If the team is healthy and comes out like a rotten egg.....say 4-14-2 in their first 20 games, then I expect to see Benning pull the trigger.

If Willie utilizes his players like he did last season, playing plugs and scrubs over young guys who deserve a shot or need a look, then I expect to see him walk the plank in April.

If the team gets riddled with injuries (again) but he develops some of the kids, then he will live to die another day no matter what the results.

Interpretations are funny things. Last season some of our vets or plugs as you refer to them thought they got past over for one of the three thousand rookies we dressed. Ok, I exaggerated a bit.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Mëds wrote:If the team is healthy and comes out like a rotten egg.....say 4-14-2 in their first 20 games, then I expect to see Benning pull the trigger.

Interpretations are funny things. Last season some of our vets or plugs as you refer to them thought they got past over for one of the three thousand rookies we dressed. Ok, I exaggerated a bit.
I never said vets.....just plugs and scrubs.

Biega, Sbisa, and Bartowski, over Pedan.

Any time Gaunce was passed over for Dorsett was terrible. Dorsett really doesn't bring a helluvalot to the ice other than intensity. Once it was over who cares, lets see what the kids can do.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Like I said Mëds, we played more rookies at the same time than pretty well anytime in our history. Ya a couple of the young players, like Pedan, didn't get as much ice as I would have liked but really he was the exception. And by the way, the guys you mentioned were vets. And Biega was just fine.
The only HW the Canucks need
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Two days before the season opener and he's got Horvat practicing on the 4th line.

Edit:
looks like it's already talked about here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10927&start=1005
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ole Tourettes must have done some serious scribbling and erasing on his clipboard to come to the conclusion that Bo should be on the 4th line. Genius,'the clipboard can do amazing things
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

RoyalDude wrote:Ole Tourettes must have done some serious scribbling and erasing on his clipboard to come to the conclusion that Bo should be on the 4th line. Genius,'the clipboard can do amazing things
This guy even in his first season didn't want Horvat on the team Horvat hasn't gotten better because of the coach he has gotten better on his own and I would say that for any young player here... The sad thing about giving him enough rope to hang himself u are doing it at the expense of the future....