Willy D death watch...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Willy D death watch...

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:The way you go on its only the coach as this is a stellar roster according to you , Doc and Tooper .
How many times have we told you to focus on 3 years from now?

Hell, Topper keeps saying he doesn't check the standings, he's watching the young players develop.

I said a few times last summer that it would be a rough coupla years.

(I also said making the playoffs would be "a bonus")

Everyone knows Rebuild Road is a rocky one but try not to lose your shit every other day mmmmkay? :mex:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A roller coaster of supposed fan support rivalling Bountiful.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Well according to Blobbee HFBoards McKenzie it's not Clipboard Willies fault
Yeah if you could read I said the coach is the only thing holding this group back after your pee pee pant rant about Twitch . Absolutely he's a problem but Scotty Bowman couldn't coach this scabby bunch into the playoffs . The way you go on its only the coach as this is a stellar roster according to you , Doc and Tooper .
The reason I started this thread in the first place was because it was and is doubtful that the team is going to make the playoffs and unfortunately for willy he's the one guy ownership can pin their disappointment on.

its been said before and I agree completely that rebuild or not, as a professional organization the goal should be to win every game come hell or high water.

Deliberately tanking is unmanly and dishonorable.

I can't imagine how demoralizing it would be for any athlete to know everyone is just going through the motions for a lottery pick.

Retardville
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Who said anything about going through the motions ? I just want this current management to sell the upcoming free agents at the deadline to secure more assets for the future . I am cheering for other teams in the playoff hunt ahead of the Canucks and I would love a top five pick for the team this June.

Retardville is thinking this team has a hope in hell in winning a game in the playoffs this season let alone a series . They stink and if not for a gaggle of lucky bounces and garbage play by their rivals they would be in the bottom three of the league. Wake up uk.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

In April after the Canucks are out of the playoffs, fire willie & hire Randy Carlyle? who has six NHL playoff appearances and 1 Stanley Cup.

Or Kevin Dineen - six years in AHL 5 went to playoffs, then went to Florida whom KD led Panthers to first playoff appearance, won olympic gold while coaching womens canadian hockey, and won a stanley cup as assistant coach for current Blackhawks.

http://www.canescountry.com/2014/5/8/56 ... vin-dineen
Kevin Dineen he likes players who have grit and passion about their game, but more importantly they have have a lot character and a high work ethic.

KD is not really somebody who coaches using X's and O's. He tends to be more of a teacher of the game through being a motivator and utilizing a player's strengths. Dineen is a typical player's coach. He will work with the players, but at the same time, he has no problems letting a player know they've done wrong.

Dineen is very passionate about his players, his teams, and the work-ethic they project on the ice. That said, his own passion has gotten him in trouble in the past, going too far, including a suspension last season after disputing a goal in Syracuse. He'll have to temper his emotion at the NHL level.
I think learning from the Blackhawks might be very beneficial for KD in his next gig as head coach.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:In April after the Canucks are out of the playoffs, fire willie & hire Randy Carlyle? who has six NHL playoff appearances and 1 Stanley Cup.

Or Kevin Dineen - six years in AHL 5 went to playoffs, then went to Florida whom KD led Panthers to first playoff appearance, won olympic gold while coaching womens canadian hockey, and won a stanley cup as assistant coach for current Blackhawks.

http://www.canescountry.com/2014/5/8/56 ... vin-dineen
Kevin Dineen he likes players who have grit and passion about their game, but more importantly they have have a lot character and a high work ethic.

KD is not really somebody who coaches using X's and O's. He tends to be more of a teacher of the game through being a motivator and utilizing a player's strengths. Dineen is a typical player's coach. He will work with the players, but at the same time, he has no problems letting a player know they've done wrong.

Dineen is very passionate about his players, his teams, and the work-ethic they project on the ice. That said, his own passion has gotten him in trouble in the past, going too far, including a suspension last season after disputing a goal in Syracuse. He'll have to temper his emotion at the NHL level.
I think learning from the Blackhawks might be very beneficial for KD in his next gig as head coach.
Pass on Carlyle. The teams he's bench bossed into the playoffs were fairly stacked. His Cup was all about watching a team led by Pronger and Niedermayer do their thing while a couple of young and up and comers started to break out. He was abysmal in Toronto.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

While the local media and many fans have taken too long to realize that outside of the twins and for this season the two goaltenders, this isn't a very good hockey team...

Should coach Willy be blamed for this? I don't think so, but....

In a list of recent Canuck coaches with the likes of Quinn and Renney and Keenan and Crawford and Vigneault and Torts the two names that stand out like a sore thumb are Renney and Willy....

Both are low keyed personalities trying to work in a high marquee market and with the team going thru a rebuild which will challenge fans patience I don't see coach Willy being the right guy for this market...

So I'd like to see the team show up at camp next year with a new, high profile coach who is a very good communicator both in the room and in front of the media....

Take care...
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

As far was Willie goes, I can't say how much of the kids' development can be attributed to him. Is he working with them and getting the most from them? Building on their skills? Mentoring them?

I'm not sure his overall coaching skills are NHL-ready (maybe assistant coach would have been a better starting point) - but without knowing the full story, I'm not ready to throw him under the bus yet.

Many close games this year, the 0-and-whatever Overtime record didn't help - and this is a team in transition, so would a 'marquee' coach have done any better?
2021 - Playoff Bound
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Most common complaints about WD

1) He carries a clip board
2) He has a nervous twitch
3) He swings his hips when he walks (he had surgery during the pre season for Christ sake)

4) He rolls four lines.....guess what, every coach not named Tortorella rolls four lines
5) He plays Linden Vey.....Vey is the third best centre on the team at the moment.

Silliness.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Retardville is thinking this team has a hope in hell in winning a game in the playoffs this season let alone a series .
Avatar bet on Canucks winning a playoff game if they make the playoffs? :mex:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

WD isn't the reason the team is losing, but like many on this team currently, I do believe he's a placeholder.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

BurningBeard wrote:WD isn't the reason the team is losing, but like many on this team currently, I do believe he's a placeholder.
He helped get the vets out by them not wanting to play for him at all.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

How about Guy Boucher?, a solid young coach who works well developing youth, good with vets whom are on their last legs and creates a solid effective system with crappy defensemen - sounds like the Canucks alright, oh yeah Boucher brought along this young fella Stamkos who had his best seasons with him.
How would you describe Boucher's coach style?

Guy Boucher is a man with a plan. He has a very strict process he wants his players to buy into and stick with, even as the randomness of hockey makes you feel like sometimes what he wants is not the best way.

He preaches "first on puck" aggression, shot suppression, and likes his defense to chase the puck to the boards (which sometimes leaves the front of the net open). It requires all five guys on the ice working in tandem with no mistakes or you're going to give up really good chances at will.

He's still a relatively young guy, charismatic, and at times very animated, so he can get through to guys when he needs to and he's definitely more of a screamer than Jon Cooper. Still, he's not a taskmaster by any stretch.

What are his biggest strengths and weaknesses?

Tactically, he likes to play a counterattack system. Everything is keyed on the neutral zone.

He wants to attack with speed through neutral ice and generate rush chances while limiting those same things for the opposition. The goal is to turn over the opposition as much as possible and attack with numbers while forcing your opponent to dump-and-chase.

Another weakness was the special teams, but it's tough to say if that was Boucher's responsibility, as special teams are usually delegated to assistants. But Tampa Bay had, with Boucher's hand-picked assistants (Dan Lacroix and Martin Raymond), pretty atrocious special teams play. Their 5v5 play was what won them games more often than not.
How did Boucher work with Tampa's young players? Did he develop players or did he stick with veterans over young players?

One of his biggest strengths was player usage, particularly when it comes to youth; for the most part, he didn't mess around playing over-the-hill vets too many minutes. He lets the kids he did have on his roster play and make mistakes. Steven Stamkos and Victor Hedman played a ton when he was here. Teddy Purcell is probably Boucher's greatest success story. Purcell developed into a very good middle-6 scoring/possession/zone-entry winger under Boucher's tutelage and has all but disappeared since.

A lot of folks forget that Boucher's coaching background is almost extensively working with youth. He coached at McGill, was an assistant and a head coach in the QMJHL, and then in the AHL. He's had a ton of success developing NHLers and winning with young guys in his lineup.
I'd say Boucher's legacy is taking a team with a piss-poor blue line to the Eastern Conference Finals in his first season as a head coach in the league after dominating lower levels of hockey playing the same system. The wheels came off, eventually, but reports that some of the veterans (namely, Martin St. Louis) abandoned his system suggest there wasn't much he could do. He'd likely be more successful with a younger team that's more willing to adjust their style to what he likes to do and stick to it.

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2015/5/25/ ... uy-boucher

--
Guy Boucher is an interesting coach. He had a relatively quick rise to prominence, and is still rather young, only 43 years old. Boucher is known for his radical defensive systems.

He has the ability to coach young skill, something he did quite well in Tampa Bay. Steven Stamkos is a special player, and he went to the next level under Boucher’s watch. Not only did Stamkos emerge as the elite goal scorer that he is, but he also learned the two way game under Boucher.

That said, as I mentioned above, Boucher’s calling card is sound, systematic defensive hockey. The 1-3-1 formation he used in Tampa Bay was designed as a newer form of the ‘trap’, and it was his bread and butter. He wants to create offense from defense, he’s that kind of worry about your own end first guy.

While his calling card is defense, Boucher’s teams are usually very solid possession teams.

Boucher was able to get Tampa Bay, a skilled team, to play that way, at least in the early goings.

Boucher’s defensive group in Tampa Bay was less than stellar.

There were veterans on their last legs and young guys still yet to emerge, there wasn’t that legit horse on the back-end. Yet, even with those short comings, he got them to play a solid defensive game.

Guy Boucher is a possession coach who focuses on playing a defensive game that doesn’t require the best defenders in the world.

Boucher has had the experience of coaching skill, and has had success in adding the two-way element to the games of young stars, notably Steven Stamkos and, at the junior level, Sidney Crosby.

http://www.theoilersrig.com/2015/05/off ... y-boucher/
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Many close games this year, the 0-and-whatever Overtime record didn't help - and this is a team in transition, so would a 'marquee' coach have done any better?
Maybe not, but look at Toronto...Marquee coach and 30th place...

Point being that coach has instilled faith in their fan base as they go thru a true rebuild which is something I don't think coach Willy can do...

People talk about ownership demanding playoff revenue, for me the greater $$ challenge is keeping the fan base invested in the team as it goes thru some rocky seasons and for that to happen I think you need a marquee coach..

Maybe I'm being too nostalgic but the coach I'd like to see in Vancouver is coach Crawford...

Take care...
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

rikster wrote:So I'd like to see the team show up at camp next year with a new, high profile coach who is a very good communicator both in the room and in front of the media....
Odd, I'm hoping for a nobody who refuses to talk to his players and stammers through every half-baked thought he expresses to a reporter..