Lineup Predictions 2015-16

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Lineup Predictions 2015-16

Postby Hockey Widow » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:28 pm

All that Virtanen and McCann have proved so far is that they deserve one more game. Past that, maybe a nine game look see. Gaunce plays a Hansen type game and as good as he showed he didn't out play Hansen to the point you would get rid of Hansen.

Virtanen is set to replace what we wanted from Matthias and Kassian. He has not earned it yet but is close. Close enough that he may stick, coupled with Benning's hard on for him to be on the team. There is no one else on the roster that is close to being able to deliver what Virtanen may be able to deliver, no similar players he is competing with.

McCann is the real surprise. I don't think anyone other than McCann thought he had a chance to make this team, this year. His play, coupled with Vey not showing up creates the situation we are in. All Vey had to do was out perform McCann and he failed to do that.

Cracknell has surprised a lot of people, myself included. Yes he is a fringe dime a dozen type depth player. But he has looked good on the fourth line. Problem is he sucks in the F/O dot, as does Vey. It's gonna boil down to those three on the fourth line. Which one brings us the most versatility to move up and down the line up, which one is safer to put out defensively, which one does the little things. I think we can all agree which one brings the most offensive potential but that may not be enough.

As for losing assets, I think Benning will make room for the kids if he believes it is in the best interest of the team and player. If he keeps Vey and cuts McCann it will be because McCann isn't physically ready for the rigours of an 82 pro game schedule. It won't be because of false loyalty to Vey. It's McCann's development that may hold him back one more year and if that's the case then a combination of Vey and Cracknell will be nothing but place holders.

One more year of junior won't be a bad thing for the kid. One year in Utica for Cassels. Next preseason is when things could get interesting.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby BladesofSteel » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:24 pm

I'm not convinced, yet, that McCann needs another year of Junior. He's already proven he has NHL vision, skating, set up skills and a lethal shot. Factor in one of the most important assets that most young stars lack, defensive polish, and the only real thing lacking is size.

He's not small, but quick, aware and savvy. He's a smart player who has shown more offensive upside than Bo did this time last year.

McCann deserves to stick around for another month.
"A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come." -Det. Lester Freamon
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:43 am

BladesofSteel wrote:I'm not convinced, yet, that McCann needs another year of Junior. He's already proven he has NHL vision, skating, set up skills and a lethal shot. Factor in one of the most important assets that most young stars lack, defensive polish, and the only real thing lacking is size.

He's not small, but quick, aware and savvy. He's a smart player who has shown more offensive upside than Bo did this time last year.

I don't disagree with that. Cracknell is no solution and I hate Vey. I am excited by what McCann can bring and I'd sure be enthused to watch him play. All I'm saying is that the question about him is his physical stature. He certainly would be protected playing on the fourth line and he certainly would bring that ability to score. In games we need offence he can move up the line up. In games we need to shorten the bench he leaves us no worse off than Vey. Perhaps tomorrow he gets another look in different situations. Like the PP.

As far as needing one more year in junior, that's not about his game, it's about physical maturity. But there have been slighter men who made the jump, that's the dilemma.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Uncle dans leg » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:56 am

BladesofSteel wrote:I'm not convinced, yet, that McCann needs another year of Junior. He's already proven he has NHL vision, skating, set up skills and a lethal shot. Factor in one of the most important assets that most young stars lack, defensive polish, and the only real thing lacking is size.

I'm smokin' what yer rollin' Bladesie!

I was going to skip the gamecenter live this year rather than watch more Linden Fucking Vey, Higgins or Adam Crack-pipe suck balls in blue/green but with the chance to see some legit young talent make the team...I'm hookin' 'er up today! (come on IN....you just know you wanna!!!!!!!)

My name is Uncle Dans Leg and I am a Canucks junkie...(unless I have to watch the trio of suckiness mentioned above)
nobody forks...with the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Postby Island Nucklehead » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:15 am

Uncle dans leg wrote:I was going to skip the gamecenter live this year rather than watch more Linden Fucking Vey, Higgins or Adam Crack-pipe suck balls in blue/green but with the chance to see some legit young talent make the team...I'm hookin' 'er up today! (come on IN....you just know you wanna!!!!!!!)

My name is Uncle Dans Leg and I am a Canucks junkie...(unless I have to watch the trio of suckiness mentioned above)

:lol: Not a fucking chance. I should be able to catch 30+ games between the national, 360, SNOne, HNIC and the Flames/Oilers games I get on SNet West. Not to mention 5-6 more if/when they have the free October trial period.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby BladesofSteel » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:18 am

:mex:

At the very least, see if you can get a free one month trial.
"A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come." -Det. Lester Freamon
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Eddy Punch Clock » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:00 pm

Sutter playing wing on the Sedin line.

I never saw that one coming. I don't think anyone saw Burrows on the Sedin line when it first happened so I'll keep an open mind.
2011..... the one that got away.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Uncle dans leg » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:23 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:I was going to skip the gamecenter live this year rather than watch more Linden Fucking Vey, Higgins or Adam Crack-pipe suck balls in blue/green but with the chance to see some legit young talent make the team...I'm hookin' 'er up today! (come on IN....you just know you wanna!!!!!!!)

:lol: Not a fucking chance. I should be able to catch 30+ games between the national, 360, SNOne, HNIC and the Flames/Oilers games I get on SNet West. Not to mention 5-6 more if/when they have the free October trial period.

just hooking up telus satellite and they're promo-ing center ice for $20 for the year....

Come on IN...give in to the dark side.....
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Postby 5thhorseman » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:36 pm

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:Sutter playing wing on the Sedin line.

Well, that leaves 3 centre ice positions for Horvat, Vey, Cracknell, and McCann. Interesting to see what the lineup will be.
5thhorseman
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Horvat1C » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:36 pm

5thhorseman wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:Sutter playing wing on the Sedin line.

Well, that leaves 3 centre ice positions for Horvat, Vey, Cracknell, and McCann. Interesting to see what the lineup will be.

I think that they're only doing this so that McCann, Cracknell and Vey can stay with the team and continue to fight for the 4C spot.

Horvat is a lock, so really it's between Cracknell, Vey and McCann.

I think if McCann does make the team, this is the bottom-6 we could see:

Gaunce/Higgins - Horvat - Hansen/Dorsett/Virtanen
Gaunce/Prust - McCann - Hansen/Dorsett/Virtanen

Virtanen starts getting call-ups by November/December, and spends his time playing with either Horvat or McCann, who are going to be his line-mates in 2-4 years. He rotates with Hansen and Dorsett on the bottom-6 RW spots. Higgins replaces Gaunce once he comes back, and Gaunce rotates with Prust on the 4th line.

This allows Willie to not have too many young players make the team (like he wants), but still keep it competitive in terms of fighting for roster spots.

Depending on how ready Gaunce is, we could trade Prust as a rental at the deadline. I think we trade Higgins in 2016-17 when Shinkaurik is looking ready.

Damn, I think my opinion on the opening night roster changes with the hour :lol:
Horvat1C
CC Veteran

Postby Uncle dans leg » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:45 pm

Horvat1C wrote:Virtanen starts getting call-ups by...

I'm not positive but think he goes back to the Dub if he doesn't make the bigs...
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Postby Island Nucklehead » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:53 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:

I'm not positive but think he goes back to the Dub if he doesn't make the bigs...

100.4% correct UDL.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby Horvat1C » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:12 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:

100.4% correct UDL.

Then I guess he makes the bigs and rotates in! :D
Horvat1C
CC Veteran

Postby SKYO » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:14 pm

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Burrows-Sutter-Hansen
Prust-McCann-Dorsett
Vey

:thumbs:

McCann gets brought up like Horvat, with decent minutes for a 4th liner.
Canucks 2017/18
A NEW HOPE
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby Horvat1C » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:47 pm

SKYO wrote:Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Burrows-Sutter-Hansen
Prust-McCann-Dorsett
Vey

:thumbs:

McCann gets brought up like Horvat, with decent minutes for a 4th liner.

I really don't see management going forward with that kid line. Yes, the were spectacular for one game, and they might create some chemistry over the next little while, but I think we put a veteran on every line. This is especially true for McCann with his thin physical build.

Higgins/Hansen/Prust/Dorsett will be the veterans in the bottom-6. With Higgins injured and Gaunce (probably) filling in, Hansen stays on the 3rd line. Plus he's already got some chemistry with Horvat, so let them stay together. That means Prust and Dorsett share the veteran responsibility on the 4th line. If Virtanen slots in, Dorsett comes out. While Higgins is injured, Gaunce plays on the 3rd line. When Higgins returns, he alternates with Prust on the 4th line, although never at the same time as Virtanen (unless they REALLY impress Willie) This leaves our lineup looking like this:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Baertschi - Sutter - Vrbata
Higgins/Gaunce - Horvat - Hansen
Prust/Gaunce - McCann - Dorsett/Virtanen

Vey (if he's not waived/traded), Cracknell, Kenins, Grenier.

Virtanen sticks after Vrbata is traded.

While we're at it, here's what the D should look like too:

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Sbisa - Corrado/Bartkowski

Hutton, Biega

Hutton gets sent down no matter what just so they can make it through waiving the least amount of players possible. If management wants him to play, he rotates in with Corrado. Bartkowski, Sbisa, Hutton and Corrado all play bottom pair until one pair emerges or someone gets sent down. Sbisa gets the most minutes out of the 4, followed by Bartkowski, Corrado and Hutton. One of them takes a step up when we trade Hamhuis. Biega is a safety.

We have four NHL defenseman and 2 spots.

This is quite the dogfight :devil:
Horvat1C
CC Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat