Lineup Predictions 2015-16

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Lineup Predictions 2015-16

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: I prefer a grinder on the fourth line. I think Horvat is very capable of taking the second PP unit. But, a big but, McCann is showing the ability to generate points. His offence would be nice. If Benning can admit a mistake and wave Vey.

In a fair world, Sutter would take fourth line, Horvat third and McCann would get second.
I think Horvat winds up as the 2nd line C quite soon.

The Vey/waivers thing reminds me a lot of last season and the goalie situation. Everyone was concerned that Markstrom would be claimed. I think Vey clears. Even if he doesn't what exactly have we lost?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Island Nucklehead wrote:...Even if he doesn't what exactly have we lost?
A second round pick
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I don't think any Canuck on the bubble would have a problem clearing waivers, but I also do not see McCann being consistent enough to displace Vey, though he'll get 9 NHL games to prove otherwise.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Uncle dans leg wrote:
A second round pick
It's already gone. It's one thing to make a mistake, it's another to compound it by refusing to get on with the job.
Topper wrote:I don't think any Canuck on the bubble would have a problem clearing waivers, but I also do not see McCann being consistent enough to displace Vey, though he'll get 9 NHL games to prove otherwise.
I guess I'd just rather take the chance. It's not as though Vey is any kind of consistent presence, either.
Horvat1C
CC Veteran

Post by Horvat1C »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:
A second round pick
It's already gone. It's one thing to make a mistake, it's another to compound it by refusing to get on with the job.
Topper wrote:I don't think any Canuck on the bubble would have a problem clearing waivers, but I also do not see McCann being consistent enough to displace Vey, though he'll get 9 NHL games to prove otherwise.
I guess I'd just rather take the chance. It's not as though Vey is any kind of consistent presence, either.
If Vey really has lost his spot after 9 games, why not trade him to a team like NJ or Carolina? They need some young forwards. We have McCann/Cracknell/Jones to take his spot. Maybe we get a 3rd back? A second if we really push it?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Horvat1C wrote: If Vey really has lost his spot after 9 games, why not trade him to a team like NJ or Carolina? They need some young forwards. We have McCann/Cracknell/Jones to take his spot. Maybe we get a 3rd back? A second if we really push it?

Would you offer a 2nd rounder for Cracknell? Obviously not, you can get him for free on waivers if you have some patience. Same thing applies with Vey. If McCann and Virtanen are looking like keepers, Vey will be available for nothing. Even if they weren't, no GM in there right mind offers a 2nd/3rd rounder for Linden Vey at this stage. If Benning shops him hard come December, someone might pick him up for a 4th/5th.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Island Nucklehead wrote: I think Horvat winds up as the 2nd line C quite soon.
Has he already surpassed Prust on the depth chart? ;)
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
A second round pick
Could we just pick him up later when the other team puts him on waivers?
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

I'm not sure if you get anything for Vey, perhaps a low pick. He has been thoroughly outplayed by McCann and others this preseason though. McCann almost had another one a few minutes ago, ripped one right past Talbot but didn't beat the crossbar.

If the team was based solely on merit you'd have 14 forwards:

Hank
Daniel
Burr
Horvat
Vrbata
Sutter
Prust
Dorsett
Higgins (injured)
Hansen
Gaunce
Virtanen
McCann
Baertschi

Vey, Kenins, Cracknell all in the minors, waived or traded.

7 dmen:

Edler
Tanev
Hamhuis
Weber
Bartkowski
Corrado
Hutton

Sbisa would be the odd man out which we all know isn't happening, but Hutton has looked miles better than Luca.

Markstrom would be the starter and Miller the backup.

I'm guessing Benning won't move Vey, but he's been badly outplayed by most of the kids. Hutton might already be the best passer on the D, badly needed considering how little offence there is back there.

I don't expect Benning will go this young but on merit this what he should do.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Diehard1 wrote:I'm guessing Benning won't move Vey, but he's been badly outplayed by most of the kids. Hutton might already be the best passer on the D, badly needed considering how little offence there is back there.

If management is already planning on selling at TDL, they may want to keep enough guys in reserve to fill out the roster so they keep Vey and send McCann down after 9 (standard reason: better off playing big minutes, all situations than 10 minutes/game). Hutton gets the occasional call up and is a regular by the end of the season.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

not a prediction - but I'd be happy with this for at least the start:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Virtanen - Horvat - Baertschi
Burrows - Sutter - Hansen
Prust - McCann - Dorsett
Gaunce
Cracknell

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Hamuis
Bart - Weber
Sbisa

Miller
Markstrom
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Rayxor wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:I'm guessing Benning won't move Vey, but he's been badly outplayed by most of the kids. Hutton might already be the best passer on the D, badly needed considering how little offence there is back there.

If management is already planning on selling at TDL, they may want to keep enough guys in reserve to fill out the roster so they keep Vey and send McCann down after 9 (standard reason: better off playing big minutes, all situations than 10 minutes/game). Hutton gets the occasional call up and is a regular by the end of the season.
This is likely, though I figure McCann will be sent down regardless. Can't see him getting his 9 games given roster limits, but who knows, they've surprised me before.

To me Vey has proven there's not much to see - he just doesn't look like an NHL player and I don't see much promise either. Doubt Benning agrees with me, at least not yet. He wouldn't be much of a loss.

After last night's game Virtanen has earned his spot, but again who knows what they are thinking. Hutton again was the best offensive dman on the team - one major mistake which lead to a goal against but he made up for it. He can be sent to Utica though so I don't expect him to make it.

I'm assuming we will find out for sure in the next day or two.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

To me Vey has proven there's not much to see - he just doesn't look like an NHL player and I don't see much promise either
Hey DieHard, I think if you asked Benning and Linden off the record they would say that they didn't expect this many kids would look this ready this soon when they made the deal for Vey...

I think what they saw was an aging team with nothing in between those older players and their draft picks and they needed to add players to bridge the gap...Benning made this point when he dealt for Sutter....

Unlike some of the other GM's we've seen in Vancouver recently, I don't think Benning will have a problem taking Vey off the roster if he can't beat out his competition for the spot...

Take care...
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Baertschi - Sutter - Burrows
Gaunce - Horvat - Hansen
Prust - Vey - Dorsett

Kennins, *Higgins

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Sbisa - Corrado

Bartkowsi, Biega

Miller
Markstrom

Virtanen and McCann are heading back to junior. Let them develop by getting lots of minutes in all situations. Same goes for Hutton.

Hamhuis, Vrbata, Higgins, Prust, Bartkowski and Weber are all trade candidates. I'm sure Benning has started discussions on some, if not all, of these guys. Trade deadline will be huge this year. I'm sure we'll see Hutton get called up at that time, among others. Canucks have a few very nice pieces for playoff teams so here's to hoping Benning can win on some big trades.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Hockey Widow wrote:That's the reality for Vey and McCann. Fourth line or not on the team. They are not going to bump Sedin, Horvat or Sutter. Right now the team simply has to decide, who as fourth line centre gives them better options, which is why Benning prefers a fourth line centre that can move up to second PP unit.

I prefer a grinder on the fourth line. I think Horvat is very capable of taking the second PP unit. But, a big but, McCann is showing the ability to generate points. His offence would be nice. If Benning can admit a mistake and wave Vey.
Vey's greatest contribution last season was on the top-PP. For whatever reason, he was extremely effective on the top unit, and was by far the team's best PP scorer until Weber got his shot going.

I actually think that if Vey could improve just one other area of his game (e/s offense, faceoffs, checking), he'd be worth keeping around to put on the first PP unit. Unfortunately he's continued to be brutal on faceoffs, and he's been playing with checking wingers to limited effect. He's been played in a 4th line checking role, but hasn't been all that good at it. Unless he moves up as a winger, I don't see a spot for him.