2015 - 2016 Vancover Canucks Training Camp Roster

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: 2015 - 2016 Vancover Canucks Training Camp Roster

Post by SKYO »

BladesofSteel wrote:Perhaps it's putting way too much pressure on Jake way too soon, but on paper, he'd be an ideal fit for the twins.

RH shot, terrific skater/forechecker, drives to the net, sticks up for mates, NHL release, tough as nails.
Interesting thought, I remember AV used to try that, put a rookie with the twins for a game, shit didn't work out, 4th line, back to juniors.

Rookies barely can crack the roster let alone play on the first line in the NHL! but if it worked out wow, imagine starting your NHL career playing with the twins? be crazy...that's upper echelon potential.
A player of Virtanen's caliber/intangibles, is exactly what the twins could use.

Realistically though, if Virtanen in this preseason can keep up the gritty play with a good shot, play decently defensively, he can start on the 4th line, work his way up to 3rd line by the end of the season.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:Perhaps it's putting way too much pressure on Jake way too soon, but on paper, he'd be an ideal fit for the twins.

RH shot, terrific skater/forechecker, drives to the net, sticks up for mates, NHL release, tough as nails.
Interesting thought, I remember AV used to try that, put a rookie with the twins for a game, shit didn't work out, 4th line, back to juniors.
Jason King.

Worked out for a season and then he was replaced by Anson Carter the following year.

Players with a ton of speed don't necessarily do well with the Sedins because the twins play a slower game. I can't think of a player with the combination of Virtanen's speed, shot, and physical game that has excelled with the Sedins.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote:Jason King.Worked out for a season and then he was replaced by Anson Carter the following year.

Players with a ton of speed don't necessarily do well with the Sedins because the twins play a slower game. I can't think of a player with the combination of Virtanen's speed, shot, and physical game that has excelled with the Sedins.
king, dalpe, jensen.

I can't think of a winger with those combination of skills to even play with the Sedins, closest was in their rookie years with Linden, then later on Bertuzzi (but they weren't going to break up the infamous WCE line), the center Kesler and Booth who was never the same after his concussion in Florida.

Vrbata and Carter imo has the most chemistry with them in their short tenures together, and Burrows but obviously he doesn't have the accurate shot to fully take advantage of their skills.

All the Sedins need is a bit of time to setup their thousands of plays and pass it off to their winger or point man, if Virtanen can help them out on that, he's golden - pony boy.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Mëds wrote: Jason King.

Worked out for a season and then he was replaced by Anson Carter the following year.
That's awfully generous of you. I'm not sure his prime time success even lasted 2 months.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think either of Vrbata or Burrows are fine with the twins. I think what the Canucks would potentially like though is to move both of those guys to other lines to help balance to lines. If they can find someone else to play with the twins that is. My guess is Burrows plays with them with Vrbata taking the second line with Sutter and Baertschi. That gives us a potential strong second line and if they can gel, providing us with solid secondary scoring we'll be fine.

I still say we have two many bottom six. I still say, for Jake to stick past nine games, someone has to go.
The only HW the Canucks need
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Hockey Widow wrote:I think either of Vrbata or Burrows are fine with the twins. I think what the Canucks would potentially like though is to move both of those guys to other lines to help balance to lines. If they can find someone else to play with the twins that is. My guess is Burrows plays with them with Vrbata taking the second line with Sutter and Baertschi. That gives us a potential strong second line and if they can gel, providing us with solid secondary scoring we'll be fine.

I still say we have two many bottom six. I still say, for Jake to stick past nine games, someone has to go.
If Jake the Snake has a great camp, he might be a good guy to play with the Sedins. :D
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:I think either of Vrbata or Burrows are fine with the twins. I think what the Canucks would potentially like though is to move both of those guys to other teams.

fixed
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Skyo said :
Vrbata and Carter imo has the most chemistry with them in their short tenures together, and Burrows but obviously he doesn't have the accurate shot to fully take advantage of their skills.
Burrows shot % is higher than either Vrbata or Danny..

http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/stats/_/nam ... er-canucks

The 2 standouts - Burrows and Carter have 1 thing in common .. They take the beating in front of the net.. Hoping Virtanen can replace Burrows but doubt it .. The other part that Burrows brings is good defensive play andback checking ..Hoping Virtanen has enough speed and defensive skills to make up for the Sedin's lack of both..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Tiger wrote: Skyo said :
Hoping Virtanen has enough speed and defensive skills to make up for the Sedin's lack of both..
Burrows shot compared to Vrbata's is pretty much night and day
tigeruppercut!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

twitter shots:

- Ronalds Kenins destroys Mackenzie Stewart with heavy endboards check.

- Linden Vey looks quicker.

- Shinkaruk and Friesen scored for Team White, Gaunce and Stewart replied for Team Blue. 2-2 after 2.

- Drop pass in slot and Brendan Gaunce shows some nice mitts, buries wrister.

--

*Hunter Shinkaruk spent the summer training and skating with Sidney Crosby and Nathan MacKinnon
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

SKYO wrote:
Tiger wrote: Skyo said :
Hoping Virtanen has enough speed and defensive skills to make up for the Sedin's lack of both..
Burrows shot compared to Vrbata's is pretty much night and day
tigeruppercut!
Your quote was on the ACCURACY of shots.. not speed or delivery.. Burrows because most of his shots are from close in is of course more accurate.. #1 on the team is Henrik.. But please don't let facts change your mind :)
I enjoy your posts ..\ PS does the nickname come from Lucky in the Skyo with Diamonds ? :)
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Prince George is a wrap. The team now home preparing for the preseason. From CDC:

Benning said youngsters like Jared McCann, Jake Virtanen and Cole Cassels will each play two of the first four games and the team will evaluate where everyone is at after that. Those who deserve to continue playing will continue playing.

Three were assigned back to their junior clubs.

The following players have been assigned to their junior clubs:

Tate Olson Defence Prince George WHL
Carl Neill Defence Sherbrooke QMJHL
Kyle Pettit Centre Erie OHL

Benning sounded much happier this year then he did last year. Whether he is just more comfortable or if he really has more enthusiasm who knows. I imagine tomorrow's game will involve mostly rookies. Can't see making players like the twins, Miller etc make the hop to the Island.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Hockey Widow wrote:Benning said youngsters like Jared McCann, Jake Virtanen and Cole Cassels will each play two of the first four games and the team will evaluate where everyone is at after that. Those who deserve to continue playing will continue playing.
No love for Gaunce?

He has meat and potatoes written all over him.
2011..... the one that got away.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Benning said youngsters like Jared McCann, Jake Virtanen and Cole Cassels will each play two of the first four games and the team will evaluate where everyone is at after that. Those who deserve to continue playing will continue playing.
No love for Gaunce?

He has meat and potatoes written all over him.

Well, he did say youngsters LIKE.......

But I think he was addressing those three specifically because they get asked about the most, as well two of them either make it of go back to junior.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Only 3 guys sent down? Geez, that's still a shitload of players vying for pre-season ice-time. Reckon most will only get one game before decisions are made.