2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Post by damonberryman » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:07 pm

5thhorseman wrote:
mr perfect wrote:...
Not being a prick about Horvat's potential. Just said that he was a "decent" player which you can take to mean top-6, which is what most on this forum project. Sure, he may turn out to be the next Cam Neely, but it's not probable.

My point was that he's not untouchable. The only untouchables are franchise players. And to your other point, I've never criticised the Sedins or Kesler or the 2011 team in general for not taking us all the way, except for that speedbagging episode, which was embarrasing, to say the least.
Embarrasing. They punked the whole club. Sedin needed to step up and he did not. Horvat would.

Puck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Puck » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:53 pm

Or ... Marchand should have been instantly ejected. It was the worst example of preposterous NHL reffing to date.

But you think what you like

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:00 pm

Puck wrote:Or ... Marchand should have been instantly ejected. It was the worst example of preposterous NHL reffing to date.

But you think what you like
...or it was playoff hockey and a couple little face jabs that didn't mean fuck all. It was ridiculous they both got misconduct penalties. We're a soft bunch if we expect the refs to protect us, and we're a thin-skinned bunch if we think the Sedins can't take that kind of "punishment". They take far worse beatings cycling in the corners.

Injuries crippled the Canucks that series. Time to get over it.

5thhorseman
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by 5thhorseman » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:11 pm

True, it's in the past now. Despite that embarrassment, I sure hope we have a chance at another cup for the twins' sake. I like how Benning is going about putting his version of the Canucks together, blending size and grit (Sbisa, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Virtanen) with skill (Boeser, Juolevi, Baertschi), but with the Juolevi pick it's obvious he's looking very long term, past the twins' horizon, and possibly past his own.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:22 pm

5thhorseman wrote:True, it's in the past now. Despite that embarrassment, I sure hope we have a chance at another cup for the twins' sake. I like how Benning is going about putting his version of the Canucks together, blending size and grit (Sbisa, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Virtanen) with skill (Boeser, Juolevi, Baertschi), but with the Juolevi pick it's obvious he's looking very long term, past the twins' horizon, and possibly past his own.
We're likely stuck in the middle. None of those tough guys are world beaters, and none of those skilled guys are for-sure top-6/top-4 players. Time will tell, but chances are we get a real good pick again next year and hopefully Benning can resist the temptation to mortgage the future for the present. For anyone thinking our prospect pool is looking great, take a look around the league and notice teams like Arizona and Winnipeg stocking up on prospects with a plan to replace the Chicago's and Anaheim's of today. The Canucks are trying to compete with the current "big boys" while reloading to compete with the "future" big boys. There's a good chance we fail at both.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:36 pm

5thhorseman wrote:I sure hope we have a chance at another cup for the twins' sake.

I like how Benning is going about putting his version of the Canucks together, blending size and grit (Sbisa, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Virtanen) with skill (Boeser, Juolevi, Baertschi), but with the Juolevi pick it's obvious he's looking very long term, past the twins' horizon, and possibly past his own.
All depends on how next week goes, all the big moves should happen late June/early July, then a long slow painful summer.

Got some extremely difficult moves to make for the older players.

Be good if we can reallocate the money from higgs/burr on a new player.

Still need some help for Sutter on the wings.

And I still don't like the sbisa/tryamkin 3rd pairing that much, but if we're stuck with that for next season, so be it.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:57 pm

5thhorseman wrote:True, it's in the past now. Despite that embarrassment, I sure hope we have a chance at another cup for the twins' sake. I like how Benning is going about putting his version of the Canucks together, blending size and grit (Sbisa, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Virtanen) with skill (Boeser, Juolevi, Baertschi), but with the Juolevi pick it's obvious he's looking very long term, past the twins' horizon, and possibly past his own.
Um, I think "past his own", is about right from what I've seen today.
Maybe next week. :?:
"evolution"

5thhorseman
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by 5thhorseman » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:43 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
We're likely stuck in the middle. None of those tough guys are world beaters, and none of those skilled guys are for-sure top-6/top-4 players. Time will tell, but chances are we get a real good pick again next year and hopefully Benning can resist the temptation to mortgage the future for the present. For anyone thinking our prospect pool is looking great, take a look around the league and notice teams like Arizona and Winnipeg stocking up on prospects with a plan to replace the Chicago's and Anaheim's of today. The Canucks are trying to compete with the current "big boys" while reloading to compete with the "future" big boys. There's a good chance we fail at both.
My thinking about the current state of the Canucks probably aligns more with yourself and Blob than with the genius crowd, but I don't think we're actually trying to compete with the current big boys at all, nor has there been any indication that Benning will mortgage the future for the present. In fact, all his moves seem to be of the rebuild wile remaining on the edge of competitiveness variety.

True, none of our young guys look like home run picks/trades right now, but did anyone expect the Sedins to win a Hart and Art Ross trophies. Or Naslund/Bert to develop into the top scorers they did. Somewhere, sometime, one of these kids is going to have a breakout year, like Hutton did but bigger, and we'll all be excited to be Canuck fans again.

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:37 am

My thing is, I had hoped JB would have found a way to recapture a selection in the top half of the second round.
Was I expecting too much?
"evolution"

ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:55 am

micky107 wrote:My thing is, I had hoped JB would have found a way to recapture a selection in the top half of the second round.
Was I expecting too much?
if you mean you wanted him to trade down for a second and then drafted OJ and get back the pick for Gudbranson...

A bird in hand is worth two in the bush... depending on whose bush we are talking about.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:21 am

I wonder if the Gudbranson trade was made today if the overall sentiment would have been different in that we had a good day. It's easy to forget why we don't have a 2nd.
The only HW the Canucks need

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:25 am

Hockey Widow wrote:I wonder if the Gudbranson trade was made today if the overall sentiment would have been different in that we had a good day. It's easy to forget why we don't have a 2nd.
The better questions are: What are we doing? Where is this team going?

This team needs a rebuild.

ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:47 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:
The better questions are: What are we doing? Where is this team going?

This team needs a rebuild.

You didn't just post this?

In the past two seasons they have turned over every player on the roster except the Sedins, Edler, Hansen and Tanev

That's a rebuild in progress bub

*taking for granted that Higgins, Burrows, and Hamhuis are dead men walking

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:51 am

Well when you put it that way.....

Holy hell, Benning has turned this roster over and then some.
The only HW the Canucks need

nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:45 am

Calgary has really done well in this draft; Tkachuk, trade for Elliott (goalie), an lots of picks in the 2nd and beyond. And Edmonton! Frikin Puljarvi falls into their lap. I was gettin excited for a spell thinking/hoping that they would maybe select Tkachuk, and leave Puljarvi for us; and if that happened, well shit, the whole lottery burn would have been atoned. (Wishful thinking obviously).
I find it interesting that people are talking aboutJuolovi as being touted as the #1 defenceman available, when i heard the same or more regard being placed on Shirokov (montreal's 10th over-all selection). Shirokov has the high end skills plus weight on the bones and attitude! He will likely suit up for the Habs this coming season. Who knows, maybe that frees up Subban for one or two or three of the Oilers fwds?
cc oldtimer