2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Post by Lancer » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:44 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:PLD projects as a top-6 C doesn't he?
Or winger. Seems Canucks are one of the few teams that see him as a centre.
Why does this sound like Trevor Linden - a high-drafted winger the organisation hopes will become their power centre?

Either way, Benning could do a lot worse with that pick no matter which position PLD plays.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:48 pm

I hint in part it will depend upon the needs of the team drafting him. Edmonton could use him as a winger. Vancouver, as a centre.
The only HW the Canucks need

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:59 pm

dangler wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
dangler wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
The Edmonton Oilers, meanwhile, are believed to be wary of dealing the fourth-overall pick for a player they would then have to protect in the expansion draft. Their likeliest course of action is to draft London Knights winger Matthew Tkachuk, who will be exempt.
-From Globe article http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... e30517289/
I don't understand why Edm. wouldn't take a Defenseman with their pick given their abundance of top rated forwards
and the need for D-men. I know they are hoping for a trade, but that could go sideways in a hurry if they miss out on
their targeted players.

Because the top five players are forwards
Yeah, that BPA thing isn't working out so well for the Oilers
They could pick up a hell of a good defenceman for Taylor Hall. Reaching for a D man at 4 is asinine
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

Strangelove
CC Legend

Post by Strangelove » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:46 pm

Mondi wrote: While I don't think there is anything wrong with "sheltering" Horvat's deployment, I don't recall Toews needing to be deployed in a certain way to aid his development. When you're good, you're good, right?!.
Yeah every up-n-coming young centre should be compared to Jonathan Bloody Toews! :lol:
Mondi wrote: What concerns me more is what happens in 1-2-3 seasons when Hank retires. Heck, what happens when this team tries to trout out a 37 year old first line centre.

I take it that PLD has played some centre (assuming he is selected)...but it is looking pretty thin unless people think BoHo is trending toward 25-30 goal territory.
It's reasonable to assume at this point that Henrik can hold the fort at #1C for another 2 years

... and that something like Horvat + PLD will be our top-6 centres thereafter.

Yes, it's reasonable to assume that 21-year-old Horvat will reach 25-30 goal territory.

I realize rebuilds are tough, but please try not to panic Mr Mondi...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Mondi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Mondi » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:48 pm

vic wrote:
Mondi wrote: What concerns me more is what happens in 1-2-3 seasons when Hank retires. Heck, what happens when this team tries to trout out a 37 year old first line centre.
Stamkos will only be 29 in 3 years.

:drink:

Hockey Widow wrote:The salary cap has now been announced. It will be set at $73M for the upcoming season.

We currently have $63.7M tied up.

That does not include Rodin, Larsen, our RFAs (Vey, Etem, Grenier, Pedan, Zalewski).

It does include the retained for Luongo, the cap overage from last season, Higgins, Burrows.

So we have $9.3M with a few RFAs to sign and a roster to tweak.

With Rodin, Larsen, Etem and Pedan on the team, assuming, that will take up 4-5 million, give or take. Let's call it 5. That leaves about 4.3 million heading into free agency. No way, no how do we have the room to take on a significant player without moving Higgins, without retaining. Possibly Burrows too.

This is where the overpayments to Dorsett, Sutter and Sbisa begin to hurt.
HW has dealt nicely with the possibility of Stamkos in a different thread.

And boy do those weird Ks to Dorsett, Sutter and Sbisa really stick out like sore thumbs now or what?

Mondi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Mondi » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:56 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Mondi wrote: While I don't think there is anything wrong with "sheltering" Horvat's deployment, I don't recall Toews needing to be deployed in a certain way to aid his development. When you're good, you're good, right?!.
Yeah every up-n-coming young centre should be compared to Jonathan Bloody Toews! :lol:

I take it that PLD has played some centre (assuming he is selected)...but it is looking pretty thin unless people think BoHo is trending toward 25-30 goal territory.
It's reasonable to assume at this point that Henrik can hold the fort at #1C for another 2 years

... and that something like Horvat + PLD will be our top-6 centres thereafter.

Yes, it's reasonable to assume that 21-year-old Horvat will reach 25-30 goal territory.

I realize rebuilds are tough, but please try not to panic Mr Mondi...
I do like the extra special attention I get from your Doc, you seem to take it upon yourself to personally respond to the majority of my posts. I must admit, I kind of like it. :shock: :wow:

Of course, I was joking in comparing BoHo to JTo. Then again, there are some similarities between their games AMIRITE?

I'm glad to see we're ad item regarding the fact that this team is taking part in a "rebuild".

I'm also hopeful that BoHo and PLD are capable of manning lines 1 and 2 as centres in the future. Though I'm not sure why PLD is to be considered a centre after relatively few games in the position.

But, a top six made up of BoHo, PLD/Tkachuk, Boesser and JV could be reasonably satisfactory when considering that another top 10 pick is quite likely in 2017. How long until we're all Nolan Patrick experts?!

I've said it a few times, this team is on the right track as long as the stem the tide of flipping skill and/or potential for "meat and potatoes"...they've done that enough.

Strangelove
CC Legend

Post by Strangelove » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:14 pm

Mondi wrote: I do like the extra special attention I get from your Doc, you seem to take it upon yourself to personally respond to the majority of my posts. I must admit, I kind of like it. :shock: :wow:
Just seems that way from your end (I respond to many posts from many folks, check my post count) :wink:
Mondi wrote: Of course, I was joking in comparing BoHo to JTo.
You were joking?? :lol:

You must be joking...
Mondi wrote: I'm also hopeful that BoHo and PLD are capable of manning lines 1 and 2 as centres in the future. Though I'm not sure why PLD is to be considered a centre after relatively few games in the position.
Well our fearless leader sees him as a future NHL centre and that's good enough for me. :mex:

But if we don't have him as a top-6 centre in a coupla years, we'll have someone else.

We'd definitely... at the very least.. have the assets required to trade for dat dere.

Not to worry...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Mondi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Mondi » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:25 pm

Godlorddoc I know you spend a lot of time on these boards. I also know that you respond to a lot of posters.

Strangelove
CC Legend

Post by Strangelove » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:26 pm

Mondi wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:The salary cap has now been announced. It will be set at $73M for the upcoming season.

We currently have $63.7M tied up.

That does not include Rodin, Larsen, our RFAs (Vey, Etem, Grenier, Pedan, Zalewski).

It does include the retained for Luongo, the cap overage from last season, Higgins, Burrows.

So we have $9.3M with a few RFAs to sign and a roster to tweak.

With Rodin, Larsen, Etem and Pedan on the team, assuming, that will take up 4-5 million, give or take. Let's call it 5. That leaves about 4.3 million heading into free agency. No way, no how do we have the room to take on a significant player without moving Higgins, without retaining. Possibly Burrows too.

This is where the overpayments to Dorsett, Sutter and Sbisa begin to hurt.
HW has dealt nicely with the possibility of Stamkos in a different thread.

And boy do those weird Ks to Dorsett, Sutter and Sbisa really stick out like sore thumbs now or what?
They don't stick out any worse than Higgins/Burrows.

And none of these contracts are among the Top Twenty worst contracts in the league.

(Higgs is an easy buyout, the rest are useful players *arguably* slightly overpaid, not much term)

Every team has them.

This conversation started because of Stamkos fantasies amirite?

Well the Leaves have much worse contracts than the Canucks... and I don't see those rumours quenched yet.

Canucks could easily find a way to fit in a $tamkos contract if needs-be (trade here, buyout there).

I still say he will re-sign with Tampa, but I also say why not let Skyo + Co dream while they can...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Mondi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Mondi » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:31 pm

Higgins and Burrows are also a problem, yes.

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:45 pm

I have changed my mind about Looch. I get to do that due to being old, confused, demented and angry at those who confront me. It is time for homeboy to come home. Lucic at 6 years at 6.5-7 million. He will be 34 or so when this ends. Get him and let him and Miller become BFF.

Imagine Eric, Looch, Trymakin, PLD, Virtanen on the ice. Imagine the happiness the Sedins would feel with him on the wing or bench (looch I mean). I was against it due to some concerns about his body wearing down but he will give 110% in front of Van fans. Maybe the last year or so he wears out but it is worth the risk.

Strangelove
CC Legend

Post by Strangelove » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:01 pm

damonberryman wrote: I have changed my mind about Looch. I get to do that due to being old, confused, demented and angry at those who confront me.
:lol:

damonberryman wrote: Get him and let him and Miller become BFF.
Same thing's gunna happen with you and I Damon. :D
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:27 pm

Lancer wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:PLD projects as a top-6 C doesn't he?
Or winger. Seems Canucks are one of the few teams that see him as a centre.
Why does this sound like Trevor Linden - a high-drafted winger the organisation hopes will become their power centre?

Either way, Benning could do a lot worse with that pick no matter which position PLD plays.
Good memory! Most people have forgotten that Linden was drafted as a winger.
PLD has the right build for center.
Important because a lot of guys, (Kesler) for one, tear the crap out of their upper body on freakin face-offs alone!
"evolution"

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:34 pm

damonberryman wrote:I have changed my mind about Looch. I get to do that due to being old, confused, demented and angry at those who confront me. It is time for homeboy to come home. Lucic at 6 years at 6.5-7 million. He will be 34 or so when this ends. Get him and let him and Miller become BFF.

Imagine Eric, Looch, Trymakin, PLD, Virtanen on the ice. Imagine the happiness the Sedins would feel with him on the wing or bench (looch I mean). I was against it due to some concerns about his body wearing down but he will give 110% in front of Van fans. Maybe the last year or so he wears out but it is worth the risk.
Yup! Like the way your thinkin, me too, why not?
Might just be the best damn thing we could do. GRRRR :devil:
"evolution"

Strangelove
CC Legend

Post by Strangelove » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:30 pm

micky107 wrote:
damonberryman wrote:I have changed my mind about Looch. I get to do that due to being old, confused, demented and angry at those who confront me. It is time for homeboy to come home. Lucic at 6 years at 6.5-7 million. He will be 34 or so when this ends. Get him and let him and Miller become BFF.

Yup! Like the way your thinkin, me too, why not?
Might just be the best damn thing we could do. GRRRR
:devil:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!