2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: 2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The 2016 draft is a real black hole for Elmer. It was an amazing and very deep draft. At this point the Canucks have one player in the organization at the moment. Olli Juolevi the razor thin and currently injured prospect who has yet to play an NHL game is the only kid signed from that draft. There is hope that he finally may appear in a game sometime next season if all goes well.

William Lockwood is an interesting propspect in his junior year with blazing speed but is built very tiny and seems like he will have a tough time staying healthy as he has had major shoulder surgery twice. If he plays out his senior year he may not even sign here.

Abols, Mckenzie, Candella and Stukel were also chosen in this draft. None of these four were offered a contract by Elmer. They are basically garbage.

The team didn’t have a 2nd round pick that year. They were set to pick high in the second round. They inexplicably had to throw it in to the McCann for Gudbranson trade to help Florida out of a cap problem. Other GMs throughout the league chuckled and shook their head at why Elmer pay such a massive price for an overpaid bottom pairing D man.

Razor thin Olaf is basically the only hope left for this draft. No pressure here.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hey Blob, do you expect a team to get it right with every pick when drafting 18 year olds? Why do players like Team Canada’s - Brett Leeson get passed over in two drafts is now expected to go late first early 2nd? Are the Islanders idiots for drafting Dal Colle 5th overall or is that what happens when drafting 18 year olds? Wasn’t Puljujarvi a can’t miss generational 3rd overall pick? Why does McAvoy go 11th overall? Why did Buffalo draft Asplund and not Kyrou?
Is Juolevi done? Or just maybe we should take into account back surgery and knee surgery in less than a year.

All that being said 2016 still has a good chance of doing well for us with the potential of Juolevi, Dahlen and Lockwood all turning into serviceable NHL’ers
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I haven’t written anyone off. Just saying that the 2016 draft has been disappointing and has the chance to yield nothing . Juolevi is razor thin and seems to have injury problems on top of not being a real competitive guy.

Lockwood is extremely fine boned and has had a couple major injuries. He can easily play out his senior year and test free agency if he wants to.

Jonathan Dahlen was not drafted by Jim Benning. What relevance does he have to my post?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:31 pm

Razor thin Olaf
Just checked 4 sites - Hockeydb, EliteProspects, UticaComets and Wikipedia and all had Olli listed at 6’-3” 198 lbs??? Now I’m not sure about any of you but to me that don’t strike me as razor thin, for instance superstar Nolan Patrick drafted 2nd overall is listed on 4 websites at 6’-2” 198 lbs. Is Patrick a behemoth cause he’s old school WHL? Fellow Patrick draft mate - Pettersson is listed 6’-2” - 176 lbs. Are you drafting old WHL behemoth Patrick (same weight as Olli) ahead of “razor thin” Pettersson other than Blob?

Can someone fast forward Blob McKenzie out of 1970’s Broad Street Bullies Hockey please and at the same time explain to him that if Olaf is razor thin then Nolan Patrick is razor thin. Both are 198 lbs and wtf does razor thin have to do with anything in today’s game?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:54 pm

Razor thin Olaf
Just checked 4 sites - Hockeydb, EliteProspects, UticaComets and Wikipedia and all had Olli listed at 6’-3” 198 lbs??? Now I’m not sure about any of you but to me that don’t strike me as razor thin, for instance superstar Nolan Patrick drafted 2nd overall is listed on 4 websites at 6’-2” 198 lbs. Is Patrick a behemoth cause he’s old school WHL? Fellow Patrick draft mate - Pettersson is listed 6’-2” - 176 lbs. Are you drafting old WHL behemoth Patrick (same weight as Olli) ahead of “razor thin” Pettersson other than Blob?

H

Can someone fast forward Blob McKenzie out of 1970’s Broad Street Bullies Hockey please and at the same time explain to him that if Olaf is razor thin then Nolan Patrick is razor thin. Both are 198 lbs and wtf does razor thin have to do with anything in today’s game?
He isn’t that heavy. He is extremely skinny .,, probably 6 ft 4 177 lbs at best.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:52 pm I haven’t written anyone off. Just saying that the 2016 draft has been disappointing and has the chance to yield nothing . Juolevi is razor thin and seems to have injury problems on top of not being a real competitive guy.

Lockwood is extremely fine boned and has had a couple major injuries. He can easily play out his senior year and test free agency if he wants to.

Jonathan Dahlen was not drafted by Jim Benning. What relevance does he have to my post?
Blob you really need to stop equating girth as the end all be all in today’s NHL, not too mention getting your facts straight with Olaf’s dimensions
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:56 pm

Razor thin Olaf

H

He isn’t that heavy. He is extremely skinny .,, probably 6 ft 4 177 lbs at best.
So all those websites are incorrect? Including the Utica Comets?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:58 pm

Razor thin Olaf

H

Most likely.

Dahlen wasn’t drafted by Elmer either.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:52 pm

Dahlen is a 2016 2nd round draft class player (Asplund). Like how Goldobin is a 2014 1st round draft class player (McCann). It doesn’t matter how we got ‘em Benning got ‘em via trading washed up vets (no longer in the NHL) for them

Is acquiring Gudbranson for McCann (6 goals 9 assists) and Asplund (1 goal 8 assists AHL) a bad trade?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:00 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:58 pm

Razor thin Olaf

H

Most likely.

So Nolan Patrick could be 6’-5” - 165 lbs for all we know?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:04 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:52 pm

Dahlen is a 2016 2nd round draft class player (Asplund). Like how Goldobin is a 2014 1st round draft class player (McCann). It doesn’t matter how we got ‘em Benning got ‘em via trading washed up vets (no longer in the NHL) for them

Is acquiring Gudbranson for McCann (6 goals 9 assists) and Asplund (1 goal 8 assists AHL) a bad trade?
These players were acquired for other assets. I was referring to the 2016 draft. Try to keep up. Making a trade long after the draft for a player taken in that draft doesn’t excuse a poor performance at the draft table. I guarantee the scouting staff is kicking themselves after that weekend seeing how things have unfolded.

As an aside I really hope some of the pro scouts that have worked for this team over the past 6 or 7 years have been gassed. Just some head scratching evaluations of pro talent going on.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Benning gets a pass by me for the OJ pick.

Having Boeser shine from the 23 hole more than makes up for it. Nevermind the petersson and hughes picks.

Drafting has been by far Bennings strongest attribute. Just hope the owners dont prematurely ejaculate him for someone flashier before he can add a few more gems
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:13 pm Benning gets a pass by me for the OJ pick.

Having Boeser shine from the 23 hole more than makes up for it. Nevermind the petersson and hughes picks.

Drafting has been by far Bennings strongest attribute. Just hope the owners dont prematurely ejaculate him for someone flashier before he can add a few more gems
What’s hilarious all the local media and fans were saying the Canucks should draft a D-man snd most everyone was alright with drafting a D-man with the pick

Do you not miss Mike Gillis drafting!
Hey UDL, Blob wanted Jack Wise instead of Tyler Madden like all of his HF Bro’s did.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:13 pm Benning gets a pass by me for the OJ pick.

He gets a pass? It was a massive mistake actually. If there was a re draft Razor Thin Olaf would likely be a 2nd rounder.

I’m over the pick and agree Udell that drafting has been Bennings best attribute. Too bad he has made some putrid free agent signings and some bone headed trades. I wouldn’t gas him just yet either.

I like what I see of Hughes so far but he’s 157 pounds. I have yet to see a D man that tiny play in the NHL.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:19 pm

He gets a pass? It was a massive mistake actually. If there was a re draft Razor Thin Olaf would likely be a 2nd rounder.

I’m over the pick and agree Udell that drafting has been Bennings best attribute. Too bad he has made some putrid free agent signings and some bone headed trades. I wouldn’t gas him just yet either.

I like what I see of Hughes so far but he’s 157 pounds. I have yet to see a D man that tiny play in the NHL.
Quinn Hughes - 2019 Team USA official roster list - 5’-10” 178 lbs

Wikipedia - 5’-10” 175 lbs

Elite Prospects - 5’-10” 174 lbs

Hey Blob, it’s all a lie.