2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: 2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Post by Hockey Widow »

Surprise surprise, I'm over it already. Tkachuck or Dubois seem like good picks, perhaps another season in junior but that's ok.

Tkachuck seems like a stronger version of Virtanen. Dubois could be that top six centre we need moving forward. Horvat, Dubois as the 1-2. Dubois has strong hockey IQ and big at 6'3 and only 17. The knock on him is his foot speed, stop to start he is considered a little slow but I think you can work with that.

There are no standouts in the top 10 at D so I'm hoping Benning picks a forward. Bennng has a chance to grab another future top six.

As I said before this result allows Burrows to live another day. A top three pick and he'd be gone. I can still see a scenario during FA that we land someone and Burrows is still seen as expendable. The slow transition will continue but I like where we are heading.

Who knows, this result may encourage Caggiula to come here now :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

What would it take for Edmonton's pick? If it's Tanev + +, I'd go for it and try to move up, and re-sign Hamhuis
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I'm just not seeing any benefit to moving Tanev. There are rumours beginning to circulate that Edmonton will make a pitch to swap picks with the NYI for Hamonic. That would be a very good result for both teams, although the Islanders still need a Dman somewhere along the way.

We can't speed this up anymore than it is. Keep the pick, take BPA regardless of position, look to move out Vey, Higgins and perhaps Burrows. Go for a top FA in July. Get Caggiula under contract. Get Larsson under contract. We'll be ok.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: We can't speed this up anymore than it is. Keep the pick, take BPA regardless of position, look to move out Vey, Higgins and perhaps Burrows. Go for a top FA in July. Get Caggiula under contract. Get Larsson under contract. We'll be ok.
Yep. Sucks we got downgraded, but we're still gonna get a good player.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Hockey Widow wrote:
We can't speed this up anymore than it is. Keep the pick, take BPA regardless of position, look to move out Vey, Higgins and perhaps Burrows. Go for a top FA in July. Get Caggiula under contract. Get Larsson under contract. We'll be ok.
Thanks HW, I feel slightly bitter better now.

I'd prefer to purge everything from the previous eras save the twins... only because they're not going anywhere and we still need them to protect the young forwards.

We still need Edler to eat up minutes on D, but I would seriously look at moving Hansen for the best return while he has value. Goodbye Vey, goodbye Hammer. See ya Weber & Bartkowski. Maybe the cap savings can get us a few good FAs.

Dubois' footspeed worries me. He doesn't have the IQ or a twin to play with. But if he's like a Draisaital and can improve in that area, it might not be too bad.

I'd still prefer Tkachuk though. Chychrun just doesn't impress me. Looks like another special ed case.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev »

I bet Jared Mccann is relieved. Did more research on who might be left for us. Dubois could be the sleeper of the draft. We are going to get a good player, I can be patient for them to make it (as long as I don't die of old age first, which is always a possibility). I am ok with not having an 18 year old start the year with us. Last year with kids was tough enough. Bring on Stamkos.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I am laughing at all who were cheering for loses this season.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:There is a lesson in all f this. First, we will get a good pick, potentially a D man based upon Benning's latest comments of targeting a D in the 5-6 slot. So unless Edmonton passes up on a forward and takes a D, or trades the pick for a top four D, we will be OK.

BUT THE LESSON IS, if you are going to tank you have to go all in. For me I've had enough of the let's tank for a good pick. I want to win, I want to make the playoffs every year. No more hoping to finish as low as possible to get the highest pick we can.

Burrows job just may be safe!
This has been my position all along

The draft is a double lottery. Where you pick and who you pick it's a crap shoot.
Better off to focus on who you have and giving them every chance you can to get better and succeed.

Having said that, as a canuck fan...still bitter over here.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ukcanuck wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:There is a lesson in all f this. First, we will get a good pick, potentially a D man based upon Benning's latest comments of targeting a D in the 5-6 slot. So unless Edmonton passes up on a forward and takes a D, or trades the pick for a top four D, we will be OK.

BUT THE LESSON IS, if you are going to tank you have to go all in. For me I've had enough of the let's tank for a good pick. I want to win, I want to make the playoffs every year. No more hoping to finish as low as possible to get the highest pick we can.

The draft is a double lottery. Where you pick and who you pick it's a crap shoot.
Better off to focus on who you have and giving them every chance you can to get better and succeed.

......and only today you folks figured that out....LOL
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Been a long time for us to be in this position Tops. Excitement was high. Reality bites. But perhaps the fan base needed a dose of reality. Or they'll find a way to blame this on Benning :devil:

I think most people will get it now, why a slow rebuild filled with years of missing the playoffs does not translate into getting generational picks. The way Benning is doing it is the right way. A few more pieces will be filled in this season.

Go hard after Stamkos Jim.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hockey Widow wrote:Been a long time for us to be in this position Tops. Excitement was high. Reality bites. But perhaps the fan base needed a dose of reality. Or they'll find a way to blame this on Benning :devil:

I think most people will get it now, why a slow rebuild filled with years of missing the playoffs does not translate into getting generational picks. The way Benning is doing it is the right way. A few more pieces will be filled in this season.

What many of us wanted was not a just make the playoffs and lose in the first round. That is not a rebuild at all and would never make this team better. We just wanted to improve the chance of getting 1st overall instead of of picking 13.

Tops even you cannot deny that picking 5th is better than 17th?
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Man, sure sounds like a bunch of whiners in here. It's a lottery people, pure chance. We got 5th overall which is a solid pick. If it makes you feel any better we will be back in the same spot next year barring something miraculous, so you'll have your shot at the first pick then.

So it looks like we are likely to pick one of PLD, Tkachuk or Juolevi. I guess Chychrun or Nylander are possibilities but pretty low probability IMHO.

PLD - anybody who says this kid is soft is an idiot. 112 PIMs, 99 points in 62 games. He's got great hands and good size at 6'3", 210. Late bday, born almost a year after Matthews. Can play C, LW and even some RW. Likely still growing. This is the player I want to pick at 5, would either be our #1 C or LW for years to come.

Tkachuk - not as big at 6'1", 195, but gritty and can score down low. Loves to go to the net. Scores a ton of dirty goals but can also snipe. Good player overall, definitely seems to have the intangibles that help win games.

Juolevi - does everything well but nothing spectacularly. Silky smooth, very good passer, ok shot. Needs to gain weight. Very smooth skater, will almost surely be a top 4 dman but may take a couple of years.

Others:

Chychrun - great size and skating, good shot. Seems to have it all some games, others he makes boneheaded plays. Reminds me a bit of Jovo (not in style) in that he can play a great game and then have the dumbest giveaway possible. Probably too much of a risk at 5.

Nylander - lots of skill, great stick handler, solid skater. Just a step behind the other players I listed though, and not as big as Tkachuk or PLD which keeps him below them.

It will be interesting to see what the Oil do - if they like Juolevi as well given how much they need a dman then they can't trade down as we might take him. If they take a forward it's likely a winger as they don't need centres. My guess is they trade down and pick up a dman, so it will depend on what the team they trade with wants. Perhaps the Isles for Hamonic?

Any way we look at it we will get a solid player - 4-6 is pretty much the same, while the top 3 will be ready next year but may not be the best players in the class when all is said and done. This isn't a McDavid draft, it's a solid top 6 and then it drops off. We will get one of those 6 for sure.
Overtime
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Overtime »

Hockey Widow wrote:Been a long time for us to be in this position Tops. Excitement was high. Reality bites. But perhaps the fan base needed a dose of reality. Or they'll find a way to blame this on Benning :devil:

I doubt it. If the leaves sign him then; they will be magic up the middle. A disappointing day for us. Oh well.
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Despite all this talk about Dubois or Tkachuk or to certain extent Juolevi,

TSN mascot Craig Button has us picking Logan Brown
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:

......and only today other folks are figuring that out....LOL
fixed the misconception for you..