2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: 2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Some one-stop shopping for those who want to bone up on the top five, or any of the other top prospects for that matter: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/pers ... nhl-draft/
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Mondi wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
Mondi wrote:According to this guy --> http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sam- ... ock-draft/

We are getting Puljujarvi any way... #clickbait

But yes, Hartnell is playing okay, and he's a Benning type player AND if the goal really is the playoffs he could help.

I'm just not hopeful that Vancouver can deal into a better position, they aren't dealing from strength with the 5th pick when they want the 3rd. Remember how hopeful it was with the draft simulator, those were the days.

Hence, take the pick and run.
Hmmmmm if Montreal really values PLD and trades to ensure getting him ahead of us and Tkachukanucchuks value has ballooned from his Cup run...Puljujarvi could fall to us.....I is more than alrigh' wit dat dere scenario...

[mod edit - (last time)]

Hey, he takes a shot, he gets one back. Seems fair. 8-)

More credence to the above....
The Edmonton Oilers, meanwhile, are believed to be wary of dealing the fourth-overall pick for a player they would then have to protect in the expansion draft. Their likeliest course of action is to draft London Knights winger Matthew Tkachuk, who will be exempt.
-From Globe article http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... e30517289/
Hey big guy, what shot are you referring to?

Where are called the SN article click bait, or where I agreed that Hartnell might actually help the team make the playoffs?
No worries Mondi, apparently if pig fackers from Coquitlam troll and post non-hockey shyte about you it's OK but if you respond to it you are 'warned' Ewwwwww I'm so scared I will be banned for dat :roll: It's like they have a secret inbred society they take a train to and talk about us behind our backs that make them elite and cool yet pretty lame and stupid at the same time... :crazy:

Hartnell won't only help us make the post-season (we still wouldn't get that far), he would be a great role model/mentor for the young'ns :thumbs:

Oh yeah...... [final mod edit] :(
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Extend an olive branch and get your hand slapped. I guess that's what happens when you get old, ugly and bitter. Funny how the guy who started the fight balls the loudest. :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

The best comparison for Sutter ($4.375M aav) is Artem Anisimov ($4.55M aav), both tall two-way centers who won't score a bunch, but are ultra reliable, all they need is some scoring wingers to succeed.

Sutter who had even crappier wingers (Higgins/Burrows/Vrbata) here compared to AA (Panarin/Kane/Hossa) was doing alright in that small sample size in the fall of 2015 before the abdomen, back and jaw injuries, he still got 5g, 9pts in 20 games which equates to pretty much a 20g/20a season had he been healthy.

Imagine a 2017 season line of Dubois or Tkachuk - Sutter - Boeser.
:thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote: Sutter who had even crappier wingers (Higgins/Burrows/Vrbata) here compared to AA (Panarin/Kane/Hossa) was doing alright in that small sample size in the fall of 2015 before the abdomen, back and jaw injuries, he still got 5g, 9pts in 20 games which equates to pretty much a 20g/20a season had he been healthy.
Sutter played 26% with Virtanen and Burrows. His second most common linemats were the Sedin twins (22%). Hardly chopped liver. I suspect he'd easily surpass 40 points with the Sedins, a fucking fire hydrant could hit 30 playing with them.

Anyways, we'll see where he slots in next year. He was brought in to be a shutdown C, so hopefully he's not lining up with the twins in the fall. Considering Bo Horvat is already a better offensive player, I suspect Sutter will start on the 3rd line.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Extend an olive branch and get your hand slapped. I guess that's what happens when you get old, ugly and bitter. Funny how the guy who started the fight balls the loudest. :lol:
What fight? :drink:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:, a fucking fire hydrant could hit 30 playing with them.
^^^tough guy alert^^^
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

SKYO wrote:The best comparison for Sutter ($4.375M aav) is Artem Anisimov ($4.55M aav), both tall two-way centers who won't score a bunch, but are ultra reliable, all they need is some scoring wingers to succeed.

Sutter who had even crappier wingers (Higgins/Burrows/Vrbata) here compared to AA (Panarin/Kane/Hossa) was doing alright in that small sample size in the fall of 2015 before the abdomen, back and jaw injuries, he still got 5g, 9pts in 20 games which equates to pretty much a 20g/20a season had he been healthy.

Imagine a 2017 season line of Dubois or Tkachuk - Sutter - Boeser.
:thumbs:
No way we do that line, PLD can be the Centre for Boeser and Looch :thumbs:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
SKYO wrote: Sutter who had even crappier wingers (Higgins/Burrows/Vrbata) here compared to AA (Panarin/Kane/Hossa) was doing alright in that small sample size in the fall of 2015 before the abdomen, back and jaw injuries, he still got 5g, 9pts in 20 games which equates to pretty much a 20g/20a season had he been healthy.
Sutter played 26% with Virtanen and Burrows. His second most common linemats were the Sedin twins (22%). Hardly chopped liver. I suspect he'd easily surpass 40 points with the Sedins, a fucking fire hydrant could hit 30 playing with them.

Anyways, we'll see where he slots in next year. He was brought in to be a shutdown C, so hopefully he's not lining up with the twins in the fall. Considering Bo Horvat is already a better offensive player, I suspect Sutter will start on the 3rd line.

Hard one IN. Willie thinks Bo needs more time focusing on D. He said playing with offensive players at this point in his career is a distraction. Or words to that effect. I still think they want to shelter Bo on the third line for at least another season. They want him working on his F/O and in a shut down role and not worry about his offence just yet. Something about the pressure he puts on himself to produce points takes away from other key contributions.

I think the pencil plan is same similar to last year. Hank, Sutter, Bo, Granlund. What shakes out at the draft, FA and camp will go a long way to setting the line up though. From last season to the up coming one we have gone from a lot of bodies at centre with just Gaunce as the back up plan. Maybe we draft Dubois and maybe he surprises at camp and becomes the next kid we can't send to Utica and have to keep for the year, experiment.

Or we sign Stamkos :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
SKYO wrote: The best comparison for Sutter ($4.375M aav) is Artem Anisimov ($4.55M aav), both tall two-way centers who won't score a bunch, but are ultra reliable, all they need is some scoring wingers to succeed.

Compared to AA (Panarin/Kane/Hossa) was doing alright in that small sample size in the fall of 2015 before the abdomen, back and jaw injuries, he still got 5g, 9pts in 20 games which equates to pretty much a 20g/20a season had he been healthy.
Sutter played 26% with Virtanen and Burrows. His second most common linemats were the Sedin twins (22%). Hardly chopped liver.
His number one linemates yup were Burrows and Virtanen.

But Sutter mostly played with Burrows in every situation, from 5 on 5 to the penalty kill and powerplays, those two were paired together pretty much all the time.
http://puckbase.com/stats/faceoff-linem ... don-sutter
I suspect he'd easily surpass 40 points with the Sedins, a fucking fire hydrant could hit 30 playing with them.

You made a good point there, and it's why we don't need to get a winger for the Sedins, like Eriksson, even though it would be nice, it's more of a luxury.

And if you don't want Sutter on the Sedins wing to acquire a player like Stamkos, then you have to do whats best for what we got in Sutter and get him wingers who can score and make plays, just like the Blackhawks have done with Anisimov to be a successful team, it's why I'm comparing those two, as a two-way player that can't produce offense on their own like a Jeff Carter, then you got to surround that center with wingers who can.

So just to reiterate ideally we can put creative scoring wingers beside Sutter next season, rather than burrows and virtanen.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

Hard one IN. Willie thinks Bo needs more time focusing on D. He said playing with offensive players at this point in his career is a distraction. Or words to that effect. I still think they want to shelter Bo on the third line for at least another season. They want him working on his F/O and in a shut down role and not worry about his offence just yet. Something about the pressure he puts on himself to produce points takes away from other key contributions.

I think the pencil plan is same similar to last year. Hank, Sutter, Bo, Granlund. What shakes out at the draft, FA and camp will go a long way to setting the line up though. From last season to the up coming one we have gone from a lot of bodies at centre with just Gaunce as the back up plan. Maybe we draft Dubois and maybe he surprises at camp and becomes the next kid we can't send to Utica and have to keep for the year, experiment.

Or we sign Stamkos :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Well I hope someone has a little chat with WD then! Is that true? Did he really say that about Bo?
That's nuts! Bo has been working on the defensive side of his game for 2 years in the NHL and most of his last year in junior.
The second half of this season, we were just starting to see the tremendous potential he has.
Maybe the "short leash" some folks talk about WD wearing should break now before it's too late!
I can't believe that crap.. :?
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Why do you call it crap? How many seasons did Kesler play that same role?

They want Bo to keep working on his overall game without having the pressure:

1) to be a top six scorer, yet

2) to match up against the opponent's top six on a regular basis, if they can avoid it. Particularly in the face off circle.

It's called player development. It's not that they don't want production from him and his line its just that they don't want to put him in a position where he has to carry the second line, yet. Not forever, just yet. It doesn't mean it won't happen either. If he continues to develop and take that next step his time will come.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow wrote:
I guess my thinking is, if we're trying to make the playoffs, let the better players play with better players at the top of the lineup. Sutter is not a creative centre, he doesn't distribute well at all, and he's already geared to that 3rd line role. Horvat has the speed and ability to create offence, something we desperately lack, why not utilize that? Why force a square peg into a round hole?

The only reason Sutter can be categorized as a 2C (as Doc points out) is his TOI. He's fine as a third line C (not getting into the contract). Let him play where he's most effective. Horvat is a better offensive player, and Sutter plays the third-line, straight ahead game well. I don't see why they'd want to force this. Give Sutter the harder defensive matches, let Horvat play with the better offensive players.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote: So just to reiterate ideally we can put creative scoring wingers beside Sutter next season, rather than burrows and virtanen.
So while we lacked scoring wingers for playmaking Bonino, now we're looking for playmaking wingers for shoot-first Sutter. Seems to me we need to stop trying to force offence to become a plank in Sutter's overall game.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Obsessive Behaviour Patterns? Getting hung up on Brandon Sutter, like he's never been discussed, in the Draft Forum.

Be strong, carry on - Blobbee/IN
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau