2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: 2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Post by Arachnid »

Definitely seems there will be some action in the top 10 picks. Not the top 2 but from 3-10 and perhaps higher there could/should be movement.

I think Montreal could still move up but now I read Carolina too....

Gotta get a lot of hockey beer for Friday, should be a good one (like I'm not already excited we pick top 5 for the first time in a while).

I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

SKYO wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Benning was asked if he would consider trading the 5th. Pat answer, all options are on the table.
Benning will listen to all offers. Fact: the 3rd and 4th are also in play.

Columbus needs/wants a centre.
The team that has the best chance at moving to #3 is the Canucks, logistically and the timing of everything, Canucks with the cap space and the #5 pick works out beautifully with the Bluejackets.
What Would it Take to Acquire No. 2 or 3 Pick?
(Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports)

In looking to swing a deal, Vancouver’s fifth overall pick would all but undoubtedly be involved, and a prospect would surely be the main bid...Based on the potential of drafting third this year, and could ask for the likes of Cole Cassels or other budding prospects to be in the mix.
As it turns out both teams can benefit from this trade.
Dreger just tweeted
@DarrenDreger

CBJ continues to listen to interest in #3 pick, however, sources say CBJ would like to attach a contract, (Hartnell) for cap space...1/2

----

CBJ still has to extend Seth Jones which will be costly. Also approaching offer sheet time and Jones could be prime target.
Some asshole team will probably try to offer sheet Jones almost $8M per I bet, giving up two 1st rounders +.

Anyways cbj was saying they won't settle the cap issues at the draft, now they changing direction thanks to Jones offer sheet likelihood.

Time to circle back to my ideal, #3+Hartnell for #5, torts 2nd, plus hansen? + Cole Cassels?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mondi wrote:That's WAY too much to give up for the difference between prospects. Don't you think?

Hansen alone should be worth a later first rounder at the TDL, and that 2nd rounder is going to be 30-35...You've also go Van taking on a boat anchor in Hartnell...I'd say 5th + Torts 2nd or Hansen should be enough to get 3+ Hartnell.

Given that 1040 needs to get the Canucks front of mind 24/7/365, they yammer on about trade talk, but historically these things are pretty unlikely to happen. I'd like to see Van the take the 5th pick and run.
Only thing is Hartnell is actually playing pretty decent in his old age, he's not a pure cap dump like Datsyuk or Bickell.

#5 + torts 2nd + grenier? aha, then we get puljujarvi to play with his fin bro granlund combo down the road. :thumbs:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Mondi wrote:According to this guy --> http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sam- ... ock-draft/

We are getting Puljujarvi any way... #clickbait

But yes, Hartnell is playing okay, and he's a Benning type player AND if the goal really is the playoffs he could help.

I'm just not hopeful that Vancouver can deal into a better position, they aren't dealing from strength with the 5th pick when they want the 3rd. Remember how hopeful it was with the draft simulator, those were the days.

Hence, take the pick and run.
Hmmmmm if Montreal really values PLD and trades to ensure getting him ahead of us and Tkachukanucchuks value has ballooned from his Cup run...Puljujarvi could fall to us.....I is more than alrigh' wit dat dere scenario...

[mod edit - (last time)]

Hey, he takes a shot, he gets one back. Seems fair. 8-)

More credence to the above....
The Edmonton Oilers, meanwhile, are believed to be wary of dealing the fourth-overall pick for a player they would then have to protect in the expansion draft. Their likeliest course of action is to draft London Knights winger Matthew Tkachuk, who will be exempt.
-From Globe article http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... e30517289/
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Canucks trading for #3 is justice served.

We got jipped on the draft lotto, and CBJ gets their 2nd back as the compensatory rule was changed just soon after the Torts hiring.

All things being equal with their lack of cap space and our picks being so close, a deal should be made to appease hockey justice.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

SKYO wrote:Canucks trading for #3 is justice served.

We got jipped on the draft lotto, and CBJ gets their 2nd back as the compensatory rule was changed just soon after the Torts hiring.

All things being equal with their lack of cap space and our picks being so close, a deal should be made to appease hockey justice.
You can't force hockey karma SYKO....what will be, will be and the Hockey Gods™ will pass judgment (and they are watching what you post, including your quasi-whacky alternative lifestyle-like trade ideas :P ).

Trade not needed if the energy being read right now means PLD is greatly coveted, as is Son of Keith, means we could get any of the 3,4 or 5 rated players...which is cool...stop being a Nervous Nancy@, Squirm'n Vermin™ or a Pessimistic Prick™ 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Taking Hartnell back would not be the worst thing, if we can get Burrows and Higgins off the books. But if Columbus is willing to retain a portion that helps. Chicago set the bar as to what cap dumps cost this year. If we take Hartnell back we shouldn't be giving up too much else.

Problem for us is that he then needs to be protected unless he agrees to waive for the expansion draft. I think we get a good player at 5 so I wouldn't be making it too easy for Columbus. In my mind Hartnell plus the 3rd for our 5th plus a Grenier type should be enough. I know it stings for Columbus but they still stand to get a good pick plus a prospect but they get major cap relief and draft protection from all their NMC. That's worth something in today's market. They are only dropping two spots in the draft.

Then we see if we can get something, anything for Burrows and/or Higgins.

I would let the first four teams pick, if Dubois is still there than try a trade with Montreal and see if you can hit a home run.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:Problem for us is that he then needs to be protected unless he agrees to waive for the expansion draft. I think we get a good player at 5 so I wouldn't be making it too easy for Columbus. In my mind Hartnell plus the 3rd for our 5th plus a Grenier type should be enough. I know it stings for Columbus but they still stand to get a good pick plus a prospect but they get major cap relief and draft protection from all their NMC. That's worth something in today's market. They are only dropping two spots in the draft.
Is Hartnell really as much of an albatross as Bickell? If he agrees to waive, wouldn't he be worth a 2nd round draft pick on his own? The guys averaging over 50 points/season over the past 3 years... 3rd OA+Hartnell for 5 OA+Grenier would be highway robbery. Really, it'd probably be something like 3rd+Hartnell for 5th+Hansen+2017 2nd.

3rd = 5th+Hansen
Hartnell= 2017 2nd
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Problem for us is that he then needs to be protected unless he agrees to waive for the expansion draft. I think we get a good player at 5 so I wouldn't be making it too easy for Columbus. In my mind Hartnell plus the 3rd for our 5th plus a Grenier type should be enough. I know it stings for Columbus but they still stand to get a good pick plus a prospect but they get major cap relief and draft protection from all their NMC. That's worth something in today's market. They are only dropping two spots in the draft.
Is Hartnell really as much of an albatross as Bickell? If he agrees to waive, wouldn't he be worth a 2nd round draft pick on his own? The guys averaging over 50 points/season over the past 3 years... 3rd OA+Hartnell for 5 OA+Grenier would be highway robbery. Really, it'd probably be something like 3rd+Hartnell for 5th+Hansen+2017 2nd.

3rd = 5th+Hansen
Hartnell= 2017 2nd
Yes IN it would be a steal of a deal for us. The question is how badly do Columbus need/want to move him? There may be other takers but none that can give them the 5OA pick. A pick that assures them of a great young talent, maybe even Dubois, that centre they want.

I'm not talking fair hockey trade here. I'm talking about giving Columbus desperately needed cap space and remove one NMC they would have to protect at the expense of say a Boone Jenner type. They desperately need to remove 2-3 NMC.

For them to ONLY drop back two spots and get a great young player that fills a positional need while reducing cap and a NMC would be a home run for them. Would I sweaten the pot, yes, but not by much. Because we can still draft 5OA and get a great young player that fills a position all need without taking on Hartnell and his NMC.

Just trading Hartnell in a dump, we'll look what Chicago paid to do that one.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Hartnell has 3 years left on his contract at 4.75 million and is 34 yrs old, Columbus should be adding to sweeten the deal, not the Canucks...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

TDA Rum wrote:Hartnell has 3 years left on his contract at 4.75 million and is 34 yrs old, Columbus should be adding to sweeten the deal, not the Canucks...

Exactly my point. They only have to drop down two spots to do it too.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Reports: Columbus will only trade the 3OA for a top six centre. Can we trade McCann again? :mrgreen:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

TDA Rum wrote:Hartnell has 3 years left on his contract at 4.75 million and is 34 yrs old, Columbus should be adding to sweeten the deal, not the Canucks...
What if we added Burrows?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:Reports: Columbus will only trade the 3OA for a top six centre. Can we trade McCann again? :mrgreen:
Well Benning thinks Sutter is top-6.....throw in Gaunce or Rodin.

:roll:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

3rd = 5th+Hansen
Hartnell= 2017 2nd
Yes IN it would be a steal of a deal for us. The question is how badly do Columbus need/want to move him? There may be other takers but none that can give them the 5OA pick. A pick that assures them of a great young talent, maybe even Dubois, that centre they want.

I'm not talking fair hockey trade here. I'm talking about giving Columbus desperately needed cap space and remove one NMC they would have to protect at the expense of say a Boone Jenner type. They desperately need to remove 2-3 NMC.

For them to ONLY drop back two spots and get a great young player that fills a positional need while reducing cap and a NMC would be a home run for them. Would I sweaten the pot, yes, but not by much. Because we can still draft 5OA and get a great young player that fills a position all need without taking on Hartnell and his NMC.

Just trading Hartnell in a dump, we'll look what Chicago paid to do that one.
Yeah, Hartnell's not that much of a dump. He's a useful player that (thus far) earns his money. He's not a Burrows or Bickell. Dubinksy, Clarkson, and Tyutin would all be dumped first. If they're trading down it'll be to get themselves out of one of their bad contracts. Hartnell isn't a bad contract, he'd just be the easiest to move for a decent return.