2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: 2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Post by 2Fingers »

I hope TO picks Mathews and he turns into a bust.

Man am I in a pissy mood.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Only took 9 years after Wheeler got drafted to start scoring like the way he is right now.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

griz wrote:
Wouldn't take him where we pick though - Tkachuk or Dubois are our picks at 5.
... or Nylander.
There's a gap between him and the other two. He's very skilled, but soft and too easy to knock off the puck. I've watched him a few times and he's great in junior but nowhere near ready for the NHL - will take a couple of years most likely.

If we were at 6-8 he would definitely be a strong consideration, but given we have two players to choose from who are bigger, stronger, just as skilled and better overall players the pick is relatively easy IMHO.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

SKYO wrote:All these lofty expectations for the top 5 draftees

Matthews (The next Toews? more like Roenick or Stastny)

Laine (Mario Lemieux? more like R. Nash)

Puljujarvi (Selanne? more like Jokinen)

Pierre Luc Dubois (Jamie Benn? more like Brassard or Wheeler)

Tkachuk - (JVR? more like Okposo)
Matthew reminds me of Kopitar, though not as big, or Trottier for those of us a bit older.

Laine looks to me like Stamkos, always setting up the one-timer. He's not as mean or big a hitter as Ovi, though he could still develop that side of his game.

Puljujarvi I'm not sure - lots of east-west in his game, very good passer but doesn't use his size as well as he should. Very good skater as well.

PLD is not really like Benn - he's not as slippery as Benn is, more north-south to his game, more snarl but different players. PLD likes to take on his man more but I'm not sure he has the instincts the Benn has - Benn always seems to find the soft spot in the D which is a gift Few have. Granted I've only seen PLD play centre not wing so perhaps his game is different when he's a winger.

Tkachuk has a lot of Roenick in his game - not a complete shit disturber but plays the part from time to time, but I'd say his passing is better than JR's was. Not as good a shooter though. He plays a type of game well suited to the NHL, in contrast to a guy like Marner who still has a lot of junior attributes in his game. Tkachuk only need to touch the puck for a few seconds on a shift to get a good scoring chance or create some havoc.

I'm still leaning towards PLD but would be happy with Tkachuk as well. Can't really go wrong with either, and both will be good NHL players.
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

skills
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

his hands in tight are amazing
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote:Only took 9 years after Wheeler got drafted to start scoring like the way he is right now.
Really?

Look up RW scoring over the past seasons... oh hell I'll do it for you:

15/16: 2nd to Patrick Kane.
14/15: 9th.
13/14: 6th.
12/13: 7th.

First-line production. Easily in the discussion with guys like Voracek, Tarasenko, Eberle, Perry etc. I'd say we should be happy to get someone like that at 5 overall.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Diehard1 wrote:
SKYO wrote:All these lofty expectations for the top 5 draftees

Matthews (The next Toews? more like Roenick or Stastny)

Laine (Mario Lemieux? more like R. Nash)

Puljujarvi (Selanne? more like Jokinen)

Pierre Luc Dubois (Jamie Benn? more like Brassard or Wheeler)

Tkachuk - (JVR? more like Okposo)
Matthew reminds me of Kopitar, though not as big, or Trottier for those of us a bit older.

Laine looks to me like Stamkos, always setting up the one-timer. He's not as mean or big a hitter as Ovi, though he could still develop that side of his game.

Puljujarvi I'm not sure - lots of east-west in his game, very good passer but doesn't use his size as well as he should. Very good skater as well.

PLD is not really like Benn - he's not as slippery as Benn is, more north-south to his game, more snarl but different players. PLD likes to take on his man more but I'm not sure he has the instincts the Benn has - Benn always seems to find the soft spot in the D which is a gift Few have. Granted I've only seen PLD play centre not wing so perhaps his game is different when he's a winger.

Tkachuk has a lot of Roenick in his game - not a complete shit disturber but plays the part from time to time, but I'd say his passing is better than JR's was. Not as good a shooter though. He plays a type of game well suited to the NHL, in contrast to a guy like Marner who still has a lot of junior attributes in his game. Tkachuk only need to touch the puck for a few seconds on a shift to get a good scoring chance or create some havoc.

I'm still leaning towards PLD but would be happy with Tkachuk as well. Can't really go wrong with either, and both will be good NHL players.
While I prefer assholes on our team ala Tkachuk I guess I am coming around to PLD. It is a more likely scenario. Edmonton would be just plain fucking stupid to pass up a tough player like Kieth Jr. as they need that kinda glue man(then again, they SCREAM stupid) and we will more than likely be right there to land the Frog. I would be happy if he has Drouin like skills to lead the 1st line one day (and PP). We have Bo & Brock to be the tougher ones.

Like you say, can't really go wrong at 5. Top prospects all.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
SKYO wrote:Only took 9 years after Wheeler got drafted to start scoring like the way he is right now.
Really?
Yup really, drafted in 04' then 3 years of college, then got going right away being a 20/20 type for a few years, finally 7 years after he got drafted he broke out with 17 goals and 47 assists.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Really?
Yup really, drafted in 04' then 3 years of college, then got going right away being a 20/20 type for a few years, finally 7 years after he got drafted he broke out with 17 goals and 47 assists.
so now it's 7 years...

Point is, you'd be disappointed if our 5th overall pick turned into a consistent top-10/15 producer at his position?

If you don't like the idea of a Wheeler or Okposo at 5, imagine your frustration if we wound up with a Brett Connolly, Scott Glennie, Nikita Filitov, Sam Gagner, Gilbert Brule, Jack Skille, Zach Hamill, Zherdev or Upshall...

I'd be happy with a Scott Hartnell. At the very worst we'd be a tough team to play against and entertaining as hell on and off the ice.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I think the point SKYO is nibbling around the edges of is that we should trade the pick so we can get an even worse value proposition (except a defenseman!) plus some other stuff.

Ultimately, who knows. I don't see the point of naysaying the guys who virtually everyone agrees should go at #'s 4 and 5, they may not be everything you hoped but they're the best players from what most can tell with the information at hand now.

(By the way on Wheeler taking ages to pan out.. I don't think too many Canucks fans would call the Sedins busts for example, even though they took nearly the same amount of time to break out as first liners..)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

dbr wrote:I think the point SKYO is nibbling around the edges of is that we should trade the pick so we can get an even worse value proposition (except a defenseman!) plus some other stuff.

Ultimately, who knows. I don't see the point of naysaying the guys who virtually everyone agrees should go at #'s 4 and 5, they may not be everything you hoped but they're the best players from what most can tell with the information at hand now.

(By the way on Wheeler taking ages to pan out.. I don't think too many Canucks fans would call the Sedins busts for example, even though they took nearly the same amount of time to break out as first liners..)
Yeah the point I'm trying to make is getting Wheeler or Okposo type production out of Dubois or Tkachuck would be a great outcome or this draft range. If we're expecting them to be better than consistent 50-70 point players that's fairly unreasonable, IMO.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Again I ask, would you trade down to 27-30 to get Drouin? Keeping in mind there will likely be an expansion draft and he would need to be protected? Without the expansion draft I would. But with it, I keep the pick.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Well I'm glad to see the typically negative folks be happy with a decent top 6 player. :mrgreen:

task one completed.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:Again I ask, would you trade down to 27-30 to get Drouin? Keeping in mind there will likely be an expansion draft and he would need to be protected? Without the expansion draft I would. But with it, I keep the pick.
Rummy would say fuck yeah, but we don't the got the parts to spare for such a trade, and maybe drouin pulls a hamonic and rescinds his trade request?

Probably cost the 1st + one of Hansen or McCann.