2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: 2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Post by Aaronp18 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:47 pm

Reefer2 wrote:This may have been answered already but right now Nucks pick 3rd overall until the lottery day.

Do they still pick 33rd regardless of the lottery results?
33rd is what they know they have, the lottery is only for the first 2 picks of the draft then order is dependent upon standings.

We are guaranteed a top 6 pick and 33rd for the first 2 rounds as of now.

JMoose
CC Rookie

Post by JMoose » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:35 pm

Aaronp18 wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:This may have been answered already but right now Nucks pick 3rd overall until the lottery day.

33rd is what they know they have, the lottery is only for the first 2 picks of the draft then order is dependent upon standings.

The draft lottery is for the first 3 picks. Typo?

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:30 pm

A lot of quality dmen for 2nd round, late 1st round.

6'2 220 lbs Sean Day seems like Seabrook: a big, good skating defensive dman.
http://thehockeywriters.com/2016-nhl-dr ... -sean-day/
Him getting the rare exceptional status like Ekblad probably put too much pressure on the young fella, but he's not going to be a #1, but a solid #2/#3 dman.

Libor Hajek - http://thestarphoenix.com/sports/hockey ... 18-tourney
In his first year with the Blades, Hajek recorded three goals and 23 assists. He was named the team’s rookie of the year and its top defenceman.
Hajek showed he is one of the best skaters, if not the best, on the team and displayed solid hockey sense beyond his years.
His long reach makes life difficult for forwards trying to go around him, and he isn’t afraid to play a physical game.
His size and skill set has Hajek projected to go in the first round of this year’s
Kale Clague, guy broke Phaneuf's scoring record in Bantom over 3 years ago, he got an agent when he was 12 lol.
http://m.thehockeynews.com/articles/500 ... -step.html
“I’m an offensive defenseman,” he said. “I like to rush the puck and score goals, but defense is always first.”
And of course my fave 2nd rounder Lucas Johansen.

Hearing more about Cam Dineen -
“Cam's that kind of new-age defenceman,” Oulahen said. “He defends really well, uses his stick well, and doesn't get himself into bad situations.”
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/ ... -the-game/

Hoping we get another pick so we get draft Tyler Benson, with all his injuries he could sneak past a lot of teams.

Bean, Fabbro gonna be gone within top 15.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:28 am

SKYO wrote:A lot of quality dmen for 2nd round, late 1st round.

6'2 220 lbs Sean Day seems like Seabrook: a big, good skating defensive dman.
http://thehockeywriters.com/2016-nhl-dr ... -sean-day/
Him getting the rare exceptional status like Ekblad probably put too much pressure on the young fella, but he's not going to be a #1, but a solid #2/#3 dman.

Libor Hajek - http://thestarphoenix.com/sports/hockey ... 18-tourney
In his first year with the Blades, Hajek recorded three goals and 23 assists. He was named the team’s rookie of the year and its top defenceman.
Hajek showed he is one of the best skaters, if not the best, on the team and displayed solid hockey sense beyond his years.
His long reach makes life difficult for forwards trying to go around him, and he isn’t afraid to play a physical game.
His size and skill set has Hajek projected to go in the first round of this year’s
Kale Clague, guy broke Phaneuf's scoring record in Bantom over 3 years ago, he got an agent when he was 12 lol.
http://m.thehockeynews.com/articles/500 ... -step.html
“I’m an offensive defenseman,” he said. “I like to rush the puck and score goals, but defense is always first.”
And of course my fave 2nd rounder Lucas Johansen.

Hearing more about Cam Dineen -
“Cam's that kind of new-age defenceman,” Oulahen said. “He defends really well, uses his stick well, and doesn't get himself into bad situations.”
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/ ... -the-game/

Hoping we get another pick so we get draft Tyler Benson, with all his injuries he could sneak past a lot of teams.

Bean, Fabbro gonna be gone within top 15.
The one you should keep an eye on Skyo is this Cholowski kid of the Chilliwack Chiefs, his stock is skyrocketing. I'd rather Dineen or Cholowski instead of Johansen. Johansen is getting overhyped. Wouldn't touch Day with our 33rd pick but maybe with the 63rd pick. But yeah, loads of good d-men to be had at 33 which is why we take a forward with 1st pick. Hutton and Tryamkin and to a lesser extent - Stecher and Larsson has taken less pressure off of us to draft a D man with our 1st pick. Tanev and Blobs favourite - Sbisa are still very young. There is also Brisebios, Olsen and Neil as well. We need elite forwards more than anything. Pick a forward with 1st pick a D man with 2nd pick. However if Bensen is still there at 33 you snap him up, he's dropped only because of his injury plagued year which was caused by having a cyst removed from tail bone in which he could not train through while healing and which in turn caused a groin issue. No injury plagued year he goes top 20, I think all the scouts know that. I also highly doubt he's there at 33. He's an Edmonton boy, I'd be shocked if the Coil don't pick him at 32. Would love him though, he's like a winger version of Bo Horvat.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:17 am

How many 220 pound D who can skate really well are available at any time? This kid Day has been under pressure from jump. The fact he is now starting to improve so much is a testament to character and he has something to prove. I think if we get a shot at him with pick 33 we take it. It is a gamble but what pick outside the top 3 is not?

Also, while AM is the best in this draft and Laine is spectacular I think we go with the other Finn if we do not have a shot at AM and we draft in the top 3. Everything about the kid shouts 'winner' and his work ethic is off the charts. Does anyone remember a big kid from Europe who was named the most natural scorer about ten years ago and the Rangers went with him? His name escapes me but he turned out to be a dud with the same tag line as Laine. I would take the one who turns in a solid effort all the time and the big Finnish center is it.

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:24 am

damonberryman wrote: Does anyone remember a big kid from Europe who was named the most natural scorer about ten years ago and the Rangers went with him? His name escapes me but he turned out to be a dud with the same tag line as Laine. I would take the one who turns in a solid effort all the time and the big Finnish center is it.
Anisimov?

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:36 am

damonberryman wrote:How many 220 pound D who can skate really well are available at any time? This kid Day has been under pressure from jump. The fact he is now starting to improve so much is a testament to character and he has something to prove. I think if we get a shot at him with pick 33 we take it. It is a gamble but what pick outside the top 3 is not?

Also, while AM is the best in this draft and Laine is spectacular I think we go with the other Finn if we do not have a shot at AM and we draft in the top 3. Everything about the kid shouts 'winner' and his work ethic is off the charts. Does anyone remember a big kid from Europe who was named the most natural scorer about ten years ago and the Rangers went with him? His name escapes me but he turned out to be a dud with the same tag line as Laine. I would take the one who turns in a solid effort all the time and the big Finnish center is it.
Pavel Brendl... boy liked hot dogs more than free weights. Poster child of kids who can't (or won't bother to) translate their game from Junior to pro.

This draft, if Benning is picking in the top 3, is his chance to get that 'Franchise Centre' he said every championship team needs. If he has a chance to draft either Matthews or Puljujarvi, I would be surprised if he didn't pick whichever one was available. That said, if he's picking 3rd and those two centres are already picked, Laine is one helluva consolation prize. ;)
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Brendl it was. Could not stop eating and thought all he had to do in the NHL was show up.

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:50 pm

I agree the hockey gods owe us but I thought that in 2011 as well. I will be thrilled with a pick in he top 3

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:52 pm

JMoose wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:

The draft lottery is for the first 3 picks. Typo?
Yup, typo! Sorry

3 it is, which is why we are only guaranteed a top 6 pick.

Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:47 am

Lancer wrote: This draft, if Benning is picking in the top 3, is his chance to get that 'Franchise Centre' he said every championship team needs. If he has a chance to draft either Matthews or Puljujarvi, I would be surprised if he didn't pick whichever one was available. That said, if he's picking 3rd and those two centres are already picked, Laine is one helluva consolation prize. ;)
I've always understood Puljujarvi was a winger. Does he play some center as well?

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:32 am

Rayxor wrote:
Lancer wrote: This draft, if Benning is picking in the top 3, is his chance to get that 'Franchise Centre' he said every championship team needs. If he has a chance to draft either Matthews or Puljujarvi, I would be surprised if he didn't pick whichever one was available. That said, if he's picking 3rd and those two centres are already picked, Laine is one helluva consolation prize. ;)
I've always understood Puljujarvi was a winger. Does he play some center as well?
Yeah, most places on the web have him as a winger, but I think I saw somewhere (bloody well can't remember where) where they had him as a possibility at centre. The more I read about him, the more I see similarities between him and Linden at that age: Big, Strong, Fast and Skilled and Character. Maybe it will turn out the same way - dreams of him becoming that big centre when he is best used at wing.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:01 am

Chychruns play at the U18's is getting slagged big time. Poor decision making, positioning, turnovers. Not the brightest star in the sky. Fabbro apparently is out shining him. Apparently Jost has been outstanding. Would not be surprised to see Jost and Fabbro go top 10. With the way Tkachuk is playing in the playoffs he's got to go 4th overall. Nylander apparently has been excellent. I expect Tkachuk, Dubios, Juolevi and Nylander to go ahead of Chychrun, maybe even Keller, Fabbro and Jost. The u18's is a big tell tale tourney for draft prospects
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:38 am

RoyalDude wrote:Chychruns play at the U18's is getting slagged big time. Poor decision making, positioning, turnovers. Not the brightest star in the sky. Fabbro apparently is out shining him. Apparently Jost has been outstanding. Would not be surprised to see Jost and Fabbro go top 10. With the way Tkachuk is playing in the playoffs he's got to go 4th overall. Nylander apparently has been excellent. I expect Tkachuk, Dubios, Juolevi and Nylander to go ahead of Chychrun, maybe even Keller, Fabbro and Jost. The u18's is a big tell tale tourney for draft prospects
Not a surprise about Tkachuk...they are all playoff performers....
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:33 am

Arachnid wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Chychruns play at the U18's is getting slagged big time. Poor decision making, positioning, turnovers. Not the brightest star in the sky. Fabbro apparently is out shining him. Apparently Jost has been outstanding. Would not be surprised to see Jost and Fabbro go top 10. With the way Tkachuk is playing in the playoffs he's got to go 4th overall. Nylander apparently has been excellent. I expect Tkachuk, Dubios, Juolevi and Nylander to go ahead of Chychrun, maybe even Keller, Fabbro and Jost. The u18's is a big tell tale tourney for draft prospects
Not a surprise about Tkachuk...they are all playoff performers....
If it does come down to Tkachuk, I'm not going to feel bad, kinda think he's a relatively sure thing to make it.
"evolution"