2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Post by damonberryman »

Just got done going over the most recent mock drafts. Some of these sites have this kid Jake Bean rated quite high. I am wondering if anyone has seen him play?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

damonberryman wrote:Just got done going over the most recent mock drafts. Some of these sites have this kid Jake Bean rated quite high. I am wondering if anyone has seen him play?
He's a talent in the WHL like Shinkaruk was but his biggest problem is his other comparison to Shinkatuk, they are roughly the same size, not good if you plan on trying to make the NHL as s D-man. See Jordan Subban.People ranking him high are ignoring his size and basing it on just skill alone
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

The way I see it the top 3 are set:

1. Matthews
2. Laine
3. Puljujarvi

4 is likely where Tkachuk will go.

Where it gets interesting is at 5. I project it will be Chychrun, but it easily could be Nylander sneaking up into the top 5. Whoever doesn't get picked here will go 6.

Then I can see Juolevi and Sergachyov being taken, followed by Dubois and McLeod.

Overall a real strong top 9, followed by a bit of a drop off.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

IF and it is a big IF we pick up a low first for Hamhuis, it would be nice to see them Nucks bundle it with the higher pick to get into the top 3. Any of them will do but want Matthews.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Agree with Pausers top 9. Top 4 is the usual suspects, next two are Chychrun and Nylander and next three Sergschyov, Juolevi, Dubios.

It's the 10th to 20th pick where it gets wildly unpredictable

I get the feeling we are getting one of Sergachyov or Juolevi. Chychrun will be gone. I think we will be picking between 8th and 12th. Would be a great boost to our D prospect list getting one of those two. Now if we could snag Jakob Larsson from the Ducks or Bowey from the Capitals for Hamhius. Future D looks good
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

damonberryman wrote:IF and it is a big IF we pick up a low first for Hamhuis, it would be nice to see them Nucks bundle it with the higher pick to get into the top 3. Any of them will do but want Matthews.
No team is giving up the top pick, that`s where Matthews is going.

The teams sitting in the 2/3rd spot may be willing to move down a max of 2-3 spots. But is that worth giving up an additional first rounder when we're already in the top 5/6?

If we're in the the top 3 it would take a lot for us to move that pick!

I don't see a lot of movement in the first 5-6 picks of this draft. After that there could be shuffling depending on team needs.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Aaronp18 wrote:I don't see a lot of movement in the first 5-6 picks of this draft. After that there could be shuffling depending on team needs.
Yyyup. If you want to bandy about the prospect of moving into the top 10, 5, 3 of the draft.. think about how many of those picks have (knowingly - forget about Seguin) changed hands in the last few years.

Schneider and Staal are the types of players that get moved to acquire 5-10 picks, and top 5 picks generally don't move at all.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

RoyalDude wrote: He's a talent in the WHL like Shinkaruk was but his biggest problem is his other comparison to Shinkatuk, they are roughly the same size, not good if you plan on trying to make the NHL as s D-man. See Jordan Subban.People ranking him high are ignoring his size and basing it on just skill alone
Looking at his profile, it seems like he's not shinkaruk small, but Tanev small. Somone who will need to bulk up a bit before they are NHL ready. He's listed at either 6' or 6'1'' but is in the 170s. Those numbers actually remind me of McCann in his draft year. He sounds like a nice 2nd rounder that you can pencil in 2-3 years down the road.

Ive seen a similar player in Kale Clague (average size but a bit too slight). He plays on a pretty stacked Wheatkings team which might keep him down on the depth chart and limit his PP time (Ivan Provorov is hard to supplant.) His modest numbers could help him drop a bit in the draft.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

After last night it seems a top 3 choice might be possible including a shot at Austin.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Is it only the top pick that is in the lottery?

If the Nucks finish 6th can they draft 3rd overall?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Is it only the top pick that is in the lottery?
No, there are 3 lotteries, one for 1st o/a, one for 2nd o/a, one for 3rd o/a.
Reefer2 wrote: If the Nucks finish 6th can they draft 3rd overall?
Yes, if they miss the playoffs, they could end up with 1st o/a, 2nd o/a, or 3rd o/a.

Here are the odds for teams that miss the playoffs:

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-announces- ... t/c-728795
____
Try to focus on someday.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:Chychrun is one of those D prospects where he could go either way - Luke Schenn or Rob Blake. Juolevi might be easier to predict his future than Chychrun. I just get leery when you hear things like "poor decision maker" etc. I worry he might have Keith Ballard brains, Chychrun definitely plays with that wreckkess abandonment where he ignores his teammates and tries to do it all himself, he's not the smartest defensively either, but.... In the end he's probably worth the gamble.
Chychrun is nothing like Luke Schenn. Schenn's issue has always been his skating while Chychrun might be the best skater in the whole draft. I get what you are saying, just the example doesn't make sense.

From my uneducated view I take Jakob over Olli, though I would like either. I just feel that Chychrun has the chance to be special, a true #1 guy, while Olli would probably be Teppo Numminen if he hits his absolute peak. I think Olli is more likely to hit his peak than Chychrun but I would take the gamble if it was me.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Diehard1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Chychrun is one of those D prospects where he could go either way - Luke Schenn or Rob Blake. Juolevi might be easier to predict his future than Chychrun. I just get leery when you hear things like "poor decision maker" etc. I worry he might have Keith Ballard brains, Chychrun definitely plays with that wreckkess abandonment where he ignores his teammates and tries to do it all himself, he's not the smartest defensively either, but.... In the end he's probably worth the gamble.
Chychrun is nothing like Luke Schenn. Schenn's issue has always been his skating while Chychrun might be the best skater in the whole draft. I get what you are saying, just the example doesn't make sense.

From my uneducated view I take Jakob over Olli, though I would like either. I just feel that Chychrun has the chance to be special, a true #1 guy, while Olli would probably be Teppo Numminen if he hits his absolute peak. I think Olli is more likely to hit his peak than Chychrun but I would take the gamble if it was me.
My admittedly uneducated view concurs. For what that's worth.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

How many picks do we have in the draft so far? By my count 8.

1st round (ours)
2nd round (ours) not counting CBJ pick here as I figure they will defer
3rd round 2 (ours) and NYIs
4th round (ours)
5th round (none) traded to MTL for Prust
6th round (ours)
7th round 2 (ours) and CAR for the Lack trade.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

theman wrote:How many picks do we have in the draft so far? By my count 8.

1st round (ours)
2nd round (ours) not counting CBJ pick here as I figure they will defer
3rd round 2 (ours) and NYIs
4th round (ours)
5th round (none) traded to MTL for Prust
6th round (ours)
7th round 2 (ours) and CAR for the Lack trade.
Nope. We get the higher of our 3rd OR NYI's 3rd.