Kassian traded to Habs...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Post Reply
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8362
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Kassian traded to Habs...

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Arbour wrote:While I'm still baffled about the 5th it would seem that Benning is making room for players on the right side, addition by subtraction as it were. Grenier performed well for the Comets and perhaps Benning sees him as a younger replacement with more upside than Kassian. Virtanen may be getting a long look as well. But a 5th...
What roster spots have opened up? We still have Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata, Burrows, Bonino, Higgins, Hansen, Horvat, Dorsett, Vey, Baertschi Kenins and now Prust. Who's moving to make room for Virtanen?

Higgins, Burrows and Anaheim's 2nd for Dominic Moore, because we like his compete and character.
olpaddy wrote: As far as Prust goes who is a UFA at the end of the yr Zack is a RFA at the end of the yr... Lets talk asset management what do you do with Zack Kassian Bad Back/finger who played in zero playoff games in a yr when he wants a raise??? Do you walk away from Salary Arb? HW wouuld know more about the rumblings of 9 off the ice but I suspect the franchise is fed up...
Do you not think Kassian could have returned a better asset for a rebuilding team? Maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick?
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 816
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:30 am

Re: Kassian traded to Habs...

Post by Boston Canucker »

ukcanuck wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote:So, what's big Jim's theory here, get tough, character guys like Dorsett and Prust on the forward lines, let the kids play and these guys can help protect them? Color me confused as hell as to what is going on. If they traded Kassian for say Habs young guy who needed a change of scenery, I could see it. Prust has one year left on his deal, so he's not a long term cap concern...This team just seems like such a mish mash of parts. I was fine with Bieksa going, more than fine had to be done, but Prust for Kassian, hmm? I guess if you determine Kassian is not part of the future and you're looking to build a bridge for the next gen maybe Prust helps with maintaining a competitive team...maybe.

yeah, I'm totally confused as to what this team is doing. Maybe it's brilliant and I just can't see it.
Seems like the Canucks didn't think he was worth much and if reports are correct the rest of the league agrees with Benning.

Couldn't get any real value back at last year's TDl or this past draft.

Maybe we are all guilty of wearing rose colored glasses again?
I can live with Kassian being traded, and if they got back say a 2nd round pick - as an example - or as I said a B level Habs prospect or something, I'd get the plan a bit more. But with Dorsett in the house, why Prust? Yes, they could compose a nasty 4th line, which matters, but is that really where this team needs help. I guess the other way to see it is GMJB is basically using duct tape and twine to keep the team somewhat afloat - that is, able to compete for a bottom level playoff spot to the end - while the young guys learn, and Prust helps with that i guess...maybe...possibly...I don't know.

I'm not against Benning, but it all seems a mess right now. Maybe that's just what it is, a big freaking mess that GMJB is cleaning up...my sense is we are in for a lonnnnnnnnnnng year.
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 16060
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Kassian traded to Habs...

Post by Hockey Widow »

Paddy, there is not much there re his off ice issues. He showed up young, out of shape and liked to party. He did less and less of that each year though. He did get caught drinking and partying a couple of times when he was out with injuries which caused a benching when he was healthy as part of the discipline.

But other wise, he was liked, soft spoken and seemed to have turned a corner with respect to his work ethic on and off the ice. There really hasn't been anything I've heard other than that. Nothing on drugs or whoring around or shit like that. Pretty tight with his family and girlfriend. No history of drug abuse.

A lot of silly rumours coming from others but I haven't heard any of that from people who know him. I think it really is that he wanted to be more than a fighter, sees himself as having more of an offensive upside. So more a role clash I suppose.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Legend
Posts: 3860
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Kassian traded to Habs...

Post by ukcanuck »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Arbour wrote:While I'm still baffled about the 5th it would seem that Benning is making room for players on the right side, addition by subtraction as it were. Grenier performed well for the Comets and perhaps Benning sees him as a younger replacement with more upside than Kassian. Virtanen may be getting a long look as well. But a 5th...
What roster spots have opened up? We still have Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata, Burrows, Bonino, Higgins, Hansen, Horvat, Dorsett, Vey, Baertschi Kenins and now Prust. Who's moving to make room for Virtanen?

Higgins, Burrows and Anaheim's 2nd for Dominic Moore, because we like his compete and character.
olpaddy wrote: As far as Prust goes who is a UFA at the end of the yr Zack is a RFA at the end of the yr... Lets talk asset management what do you do with Zack Kassian Bad Back/finger who played in zero playoff games in a yr when he wants a raise??? Do you walk away from Salary Arb? HW wouuld know more about the rumblings of 9 off the ice but I suspect the franchise is fed up...
Do you not think Kassian could have returned a better asset for a rebuilding team? Maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick?
I'm willing to put money that no one else but Canuck fans think kassian is worth a second or third round pick.
If they did, surely Benning would have jumped on that at the draft. We know kassian was offered to the Bruins which makes it a fair bet that other GMs could have coughed up a second rounder but chose to pass.
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 636
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Re: Kassian traded to Habs...

Post by olpaddy »

Hockey Widow wrote:Paddy, there is not much there re his off ice issues. He showed up young, out of shape and liked to party. He did less and less of that each year though. He did get caught drinking and partying a couple of times when he was out with injuries which caused a benching when he was healthy as part of the discipline.

But other wise, he was liked, soft spoken and seemed to have turned a corner with respect to his work ethic on and off the ice. There really hasn't been anything I've heard other than that. Nothing on drugs or whoring around or shit like that. Pretty tight with his family and girlfriend. No history of drug abuse.

A lot of silly rumours coming from others but I haven't heard any of that from people who know him. I think it really is that he wanted to be more than a fighter, sees himself as having more of an offensive upside. So more a role clash I suppose.
Thanks HW fwiw I like the kid I just think he is a St Bernard as opposed to a Pit Bull with decent hands... Unfortunately the Pit Bull shows up 15 times a year... Management want more than 15 times a yr... So do the 4 coaches who have coached him...
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8362
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Kassian traded to Habs...

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ukcanuck wrote: I'm willing to put money that no one else but Canuck fans think kassian is worth a second or third round pick.
If they did, surely Benning would have jumped on that at the draft. We know kassian was offered to the Bruins which makes it a fair bet that other GMs could have coughed up a second rounder but chose to pass.
Yeah, Okay. Zac Rinaldo was worth a 3rd round pick, but not Kassian. Makes sense.

This smacks more of Jim wanting Prust (or Lucic, in the Bruins case) and offering up Kassian in return. He obviously views Kassian as a spare piece, but I find it hard to believe his value is worse than a Rinaldo.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 7865
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Kassian traded to Habs...

Post by Meds »

This trade, well I hate it, obviously. However, I could live with it a little more if it weren't for the fact that our bottom-6 is filling up fast and we still have Chris Higgins on the team.

If Higgins gets moved out too then sure.....but I just don't see how you can justify keeping Chris Pillows Soft Higgins on the team in a tweener role and dump Kassian for next to nothing. If you are already giving up the pick, then try to force Higgins and a 4th down their throat for Prust as opposed to Kassian and a 5th.....
User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 19848
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Kassian traded to Habs...

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Lmao not one forward over 200 pounds . Not one forward or defencemen :lol: that can actually be called a hard hitter and maybe three guys who can be considered fast skaters on the entire roster .The team gets older softer and shittier . Paddy I see you conveniently ignored my question on Sbisa , as well as what is your take on Ignitowski ? I think he's a fucking idiot .

Well done Reverend Jim in the last two days the team is older , slower , smaller and shittier . Oh and they are up against the cap . Oldest , smallest , softest and slowest team in the west .
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 11901
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Kassian traded to Habs...

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Let's get smaller and smaller . I'm sure Nathan Gerbe could be acquired . Hopefully the Benning show is in year 2 of its 3 year run .
You got some dumb hotshot in your work crew going after your future foreman, are you just gonna let it slide?
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8362
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Kassian traded to Habs...

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Lmao not one forward over 200 pounds . Not one forward or defencemen :lol: that can actually be called a hard hitter and maybe three guys who can be considered fast skaters on the entire roster .The team gets older softer and shittier . Paddy I see you conveniently ignored my question on Sbisa , as well as what is your take on Ignitowski ? I think he's a fucking idiot .

Well done Reverend Jim in the last two days the team is older , slower , smaller and shittier . Oh and they are up against the cap . Oldest , smallest , softest and slowest team in the west .
lol, awesome. You gotta laugh, because if we actually thought this team might get better this summer it could be quite depressing.

Bo Horvat is now our biggest forward, and the Henrick Sedin (6'2) the tallest.

Alex Edler (215) our heaviest d-man and only player on the roster to hit 6'3.
Last edited by Island Nucklehead on Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 636
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Re: Kassian traded to Habs...

Post by olpaddy »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: I'm willing to put money that no one else but Canuck fans think kassian is worth a second or third round pick.
If they did, surely Benning would have jumped on that at the draft. We know kassian was offered to the Bruins which makes it a fair bet that other GMs could have coughed up a second rounder but chose to pass.
Yeah, Okay. Zac Rinaldo was worth a 3rd round pick, but not Kassian. Makes sense.

This smacks more of Jim wanting Prust (or Lucic, in the Bruins case) and offering up Kassian in return. He obviously views Kassian as a spare piece, but I find it hard to believe his value is worse than a Rinaldo.
How many teams has Zac Renaldo Played on in his young Career??? I know how many Kassian has played on... Cody Hodgson signed in Nashville for 1 yr 1 mil at 25 yrs of age, truth be told both guys have one foot out of the league door Which shows u what the rest of the world OUTSIDE OF VANCOUVER THINK OF BOTH...
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 16060
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Kassian traded to Habs...

Post by Hockey Widow »

Meds wrote:This trade, well I hate it, obviously. However, I could live with it a little more if it weren't for the fact that our bottom-6 is filling up fast and we still have Chris Higgins on the team.

If Higgins gets moved out too then sure.....but I just don't see how you can justify keeping Chris Pillows Soft Higgins on the team in a tweener role and dump Kassian for next to nothing. If you are already giving up the pick, then try to force Higgins and a 4th down their throat for Prust as opposed to Kassian and a 5th.....
Higgins is the glue. Don't you remember?
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 11901
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Kassian traded to Habs...

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Lmao not one forward over 200 pounds . Not one forward or defencemen :lol: that can actually be called a hard hitter and maybe three guys who can be considered fast skaters on the entire roster .The team gets older softer and shittier . Paddy I see you conveniently ignored my question on Sbisa , as well as what is your take on Ignitowski ? I think he's a fucking idiot .

Well done Reverend Jim in the last two days the team is older , slower , smaller and shittier . Oh and they are up against the cap . Oldest , smallest , softest and slowest team in the west .

Do the three time Cup champs care about size and hitters????

Fuck no.

it's about skill and depth, why I want to ditch Burrows and Higgins as well.
Last edited by SKYO on Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 19848
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Kassian traded to Habs...

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Lmao not one forward over 200 pounds . Not one forward or defencemen :lol: that can actually be called a hard hitter and maybe three guys who can be considered fast skaters on the entire roster .The team gets older softer and shittier . Paddy I see you conveniently ignored my question on Sbisa , as well as what is your take on Ignitowski ? I think he's a fucking idiot .

Well done Reverend Jim in the last two days the team is older , slower , smaller and shittier . Oh and they are up against the cap . Oldest , smallest , softest and slowest team in the west .
lol, awesome. You gotta laugh, because if we actually thought this team might get better this summer it could be quite depressing.

Bo Horvat is now our biggest forward.

Alex Edler (215) our heaviest d-man.
Oh yeah Horvat is a shade over 200 . Pack your bags young man you are too big for this team ! Actually would t surprise me to see Horvat dealt in the next twelve months .
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 19848
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Kassian traded to Habs...

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

SKYO wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Lmao not one forward over 200 pounds . Not one forward or defencemen :lol: that can actually be called a hard hitter and maybe three guys who can be considered fast skaters on the entire roster .The team gets older softer and shittier . Paddy I see you conveniently ignored my question on Sbisa , as well as what is your take on Ignitowski ? I think he's a fucking idiot .

Well done Reverend Jim in the last two days the team is older , slower , smaller and shittier . Oh and they are up against the cap . Oldest , smallest , softest and slowest team in the west .

Do the three time Cup champs care about size and hitters????

Fuck no.

it's about skill and depth.
It's about speed too which this team has none of . It's about having defencemen who can move the puck which this team has maybe one or two of . Furthermore la and Boston won with size and speed and Chicago is bigger than the Canucks too .
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Post Reply