Kassian traded to Habs...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Re: Kassian traded to Habs...

Post by Carl Yagro »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
My list: Burrows, Higgins, Hansen. Save Hamhuis and Vrbata for the deadline. The way Jim trades we'll be lucky to get a couple 2nds and a couple 5ths for the whole bunch.
I agree with your list. I really hope guys like Virtanen, Cassells, Gaunce can make some of them even more quickly expendable.

And Prust, Bartkowski, Weber may not even be re-signed after this season.

It does seem like Trader Jim is still trying to target Lucic, hoping doesn't sign an extension with LA.
Try to focus on THIS year...
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I'm as surprised as the next guy about the Kassian deal. But I have been a big fan of Prust for years. He had some epic bouts with RipRyp back in the day, and he'll bring a tonne of character and leadership to the team next year. He was one of the most popular players in Montreal over the past few years, and he should fill the immense void of character/toughness/leadership/heart that Bieksa leaves.

I'm indifferent on the trade, but I give a huge thumbs up on Prust joining the Canucks. He will make the team that much harder to play against.

Now, to bring in a little more c/t/l/h to the blue line.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hank wrote: It does seem like Trader Jim is still trying to target Lucic, hoping doesn't sign an extension with LA.
Scary. Lucic is a complimentary player, IMO. I don't think he drives play, doesn't carry the puck. And if he can't create things he shouldn't be part of the rebuild. I hope Lucic re-ups in LA and removes that temptation from Benning.

We've seen how Benning targets players and then gets fixated on them. I'd hate for them to see give Lucic $7.5M per season for 5 or 6 seasons.
CrzyCanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Just when I thought we could spend the first day of free agency peacefully...

Same with most people here, I'm baffled by that additional 5th.

Does this tell us something?

Are we canucks fans drastically overvaluing our team players? Or is it the league undervaluiung our players?

I'm leaning towards the former view. We fans have been living in the past. We just cannot get over the Sedins' Cup run and President Trophy era.

The harsh reality is, this team has an aging core that struggled offensively and had glaring defensive issues for several years now. Yet, the youngsters are not coming in soon enough. The turn-over has not been done fast enough.

Maybe a few more trades will finally help most of us wake up

Good luck, Kass. Hopefully he will be able to play in his desired role.

Maybe Linden Vey will grow 3 more inches and put on 50 more Ibs during the summer or something
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Hockey Widow wrote:I think Benning just gave up on Kassian. I also think they wanted another tough guy to help protect the kids. Also, because he was very very quick to say no, we are not looking to extend Prust, it's too early, I think Pust, to me, he is a place holder for Lucic, if he hits FA next year.

In that spin the Prust deal makes sense. With only Dorsett really dropping the gloves having a Prust for one yeR makes sense.
Hockey Widow I think you have hit the nail on the head. Every now and then Kassian would tantalize fans and coaches with an on ice presence that made you think finally think this kid is getting it, a tremendous skater with an above average shot and the ability to be an intimidating physical presence. More often than not what you got was a player who looked lost defensively in his own zone, and whose contributions offensively consisted of a fore check that amounted to a swoop around the opposition net, only to disappear completely somewhere back around center ice. For his sake I hope he gets it soon.
Island Nucklehead wrote:If the Canucks are rebuilding, why do we mind waiting? Why trade him (and a draft pick) for a rental player? The Canucks sold low, extremely low, on Kassian.
I can only assume that Benning has a potential replacement in mind, and unfortunately the Canucks are no longer talented enough to forgo another young players development while waiting for Zack to wake up. At the same time as I said the forwards are generally soft and after watching the Flames smurfs push around the Canucks, Benning most likely thought a late round pick for Zack isn't going to help us in the short term while we integrate younger players into the lineup. Do I particularly like the deal, no, but I can see why Benning thought it was necessary, as Hockey Widow has pointed out.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hank wrote: It does seem like Trader Jim is still trying to target Lucic, hoping doesn't sign an extension with LA.
Scary. Lucic is a complimentary player, IMO. I don't think he drives play, doesn't carry the puck. And if he can't create things he shouldn't be part of the rebuild. I hope Lucic re-ups in LA and removes that temptation from Benning.

We've seen how Benning targets players and then gets fixated on them. I'd hate for them to see give Lucic $7.5M per season for 5 or 6 seasons.
I agree. Even a few years ago, a Lucic with the Twins would have been beastly. The exact type of player Gillis should have targeted to maximize their talents instead of lazily giving Burrows his current contract.

Lucic not only isn't a driver, but he still doesn't strike me as a mature, leader type. The only way I see Looch fitting in is if Bo takes a huge step forward, on the way to becoming a dominant, mature, playmaking centre for him.
Try to focus on THIS year...
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Lucic and Seabrook.

Imagine the cost for them as UFA.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Ferraro thinks that Kassian trade means the "Canucks wanted to trade Kassian in the worst way."

Believes that Benning wants to get younger. Believes the conflict is that they still feel like they can make the playoffs. Says even if they make the playoffs, they won't go anywhere. "Nowhere near big enough, competitive enough, fast enough, young enough" to compete in the West.

Dosn't think we have many young guys ready to play in meaningful roles, and he doesn't think it's possible for us to get younger and better at the same time.

Says we can "bleed the old core dry" (mentioning Sedins, Burrows, Higgins), and we're still not good enough.

On Bartkowski: "Can skate, move the puck, the question is wether he can defend. Bottom-pair guy, but untested. "
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Ferraro thinks that Kassian trade means the "Canucks wanted to trade Kassian in the worst way.""
LoL why listen to Ferraro? he hasn't won fuck all in this league.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Ferraro thinks that Kassian trade means the "Canucks wanted to trade Kassian in the worst way.""
LoL why listen to Ferraro? he hasn't won fuck all in this league.
I find him one of the better pundits, actually.

He's basically saying he thought the Canucks valued Kassian that little that they dumped him for a Derek Dorsett clone.

I'd be okay trading Kassian if it meant getting something for the future or the present top-9. We traded him for a more expensive, redundant (he's a LW Dorsett), 4th line player, and we had to give up futures to make it happen.

Even if we swap Prust for a 3rd or a 4th, that means Kassian was the price to move from the 5th to the 3rd/4th round. I refuse to believe that was/is his value.

We've seen this story from Benning repeatedly. Targets guys he wants to get rid of, and dumps them as fast as he can. Even if you go by the most basic "who got the best player in the trade", Montreal wins, and we send a 5th rounder as well.

Linden on 1040 right now saying Canucks approached the Canadiens about Prust last week. Says the Kassian+5th return came together today.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya no way is Prust worth more than Dorsett, which we spent a 3rd on. I'm trying to buy it but I can't. I'm not overly upset that we traded Kassian. Not even upset that we got Prust. It's the whole dynamics of the deal I just don't get. Now if Bennng goes out and gets, oh I don't know, Boone Jenner for Higgins I'll be happy :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
valkyrie
AHL Prospect

Post by valkyrie »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ya no way is Prust worth more than Dorsett, which we spent a 3rd on. I'm trying to buy it but I can't. I'm not overly upset that we traded Kassian. Not even upset that we got Prust. It's the whole dynamics of the deal I just don't get. Now if Bennng goes out and gets, oh I don't know, Boone Jenner for Higgins I'll be happy :mrgreen:
He'd be a real boon to our centre depth. :roll:
bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev »

The more I read about Prust the more I am wondering if he gives them room to get rid of Higgins. His penalty killing ability replaces at least Richardson, and possibly Higgins. If Baertchi takes the second line spot, Burrows drops into third and Prust fourth that leaves Higgins as the odd man out.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

bckev wrote:The more I read about Prust the more I am wondering if he gives them room to get rid of Higgins. His penalty killing ability replaces at least Richardson, and possibly Higgins. If Baertchi takes the second line spot, Burrows drops into third and Prust fourth that leaves Higgins as the odd man out.
And Higgins has a modified NTC.
The only HW the Canucks need
bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev »

I also wonder if they want to create more cap space so they can take advantage of teams up against it needing to make room by dumping some over paid players. One can hope that there are things still in the works.