Kassian traded to Habs...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Kassian traded to Habs...

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Arbour wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:What roster spots have opened up? We still have Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata, Burrows, Bonino, Higgins, Hansen, Horvat, Dorsett, Vey, Baertschi Kenins and now Prust. Who's moving to make room for Virtanen?

Higgins, Burrows and Anaheim's 2nd for Dominic Moore, because we like his compete and character.
olpaddy wrote: As far as Prust goes who is a UFA at the end of the yr Zack is a RFA at the end of the yr... Lets talk asset management what do you do with Zack Kassian Bad Back/finger who played in zero playoff games in a yr when he wants a raise??? Do you walk away from Salary Arb? HW wouuld know more about the rumblings of 9 off the ice but I suspect the franchise is fed up...
Do you not think Kassian could have returned a better asset for a rebuilding team? Maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick?
I think you're over valuing Kassian, like others here I saw him as a player with untapped potential, but it's been three plus years and the only thing that has been consistent is the mantra about waiting for him to break out as a power forward...next year. Like it or not the Canucks are a rebuilding team and if they can't see a place for Kassian why would any other team in a similar situation pay a 2nd or 3rd for him?
If the Canucks are rebuilding, why do we mind waiting? Why trade him (and a draft pick) for a rental player? The Canucks sold low, extremely low, on Kassian.
As far as roster spots are concerned the same argument would apply whether Kassian was traded or not, and if his position is taken at camp by a younger player, and if the rumors are true that he has been on the block for some time, there is a good chance he becomes waiver wire fodder.
Nobody said the Canucks had to take a roster player back for Kassian. If they wanted to open roster spots, dump him for a 5th. Not only do you clear salary and roster spots, but you don't wind up pissing away assets for 30+ players that most agree are past their best before date.

Montreal fans seem unanimously happy about this trade.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think Benning just gave up on Kassian. I also think they wanted another tough guy to help protect the kids. Also, because he was very very quick to say no, we are not looking to extend Prust, it's too early, I think Pust, to me, he is a place holder for Lucic, if he hits FA next year.

In that spin the Prust deal makes sense. With only Dorsett really dropping the gloves having a Prust for one yeR makes sense.
The only HW the Canucks need
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Hockey Widow wrote:Saying Kassian traded to open up a RW spot for Virtanen.
What was wrong w/ having both of them in the roster?

...and what happened to EARNING your spot....and if he earned it why wouldn't we trade a geezer to open a spot.

I'm convinced, our GM is an idiot. He's trending towards Jack Gordon territory.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

RoyalDude wrote:is it official? Are we tanking?
One year too late.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

So, what are the chances Benning is able to recoup his 5th rounder for Prust at the trade deadline?

Hell, what are the chances he re-signs Prust at a nonsensical raise for two years too long?

The way Blob is going on, I cant help but wonder if the interior should be bracing for its second flash flood in two days Image
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Because Clam they can only have one or two forwards over 200 pounds . If Virtanen makes it I'm convinced Horvat is likely gone for a 2nd rounder at next years draft .

Wow dbr you burned me . Lol hey at least I only have 50 posts burying Ignitowski . I am legitimately on board the tank train
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Klatt wrote:Prust is character, good to have around the young kids. Kassian is not character. This is good for long term.
Really?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2455 ... y-baseless

Sounds like a great mentor for the kids. I'm sure the refs are going to love us even more now as well.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Yeah fair enough. Honestly I think it's unlikely Kassian pans out anywhere near his potential but even still the deal makes no sense. But at this stage with Benning, if you can't laugh.....
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

dbr wrote:So, what are the chances Benning is able to recoup his 5th rounder for Prust at the trade deadline?
I'm sure he'll go on a mission to trade a goalie for a 5th at next year's draft. ...and settle for a 6th.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Well Prust will play they wanted Kassian to play and they clear the right side for Jake.

Still can't believe this trade.
Isn't Virtanen a left winger?
bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev »

I am wondering if they feel Grenier is better than Kassian?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

bckev wrote:I am wondering if they feel Grenier is better than Kassian?
Maybe not better but more consistent.

Really people, I don't like the trade but it really seems as simple as Kassian didn't play they way they wanted and they gave up on him. Call it the Matt Cook elite third liner complex.

Prust is here to protect the younger players an add aggressiveness on the forecheck. Montreal is not convinced they can turn Kassian around thus we had to ship out a 5th.I'm still shaking my head on that one.

Benning is not committed to extending him at this time. As long as Lucic does not extend I doubt he looks to re-sign Prust, Lucic is who he wants.

I'm more interested now on who else they move. Benning said it a couple of times today, they are not done. Unlike last year when he said they are done and let's see what happens at camp. Right now he is saying he still wants to make moves.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Maybe not better but more consistent.

Really people, I don't like the trade but it really seems as simple as Kassian didn't play they way they wanted and they gave up on him. Call it the Matt Cook elite third liner complex.

Prust is here to protect the younger players an add aggressiveness on the forecheck. Montreal is not convinced they can turn Kassian around thus we had to ship out a 5th.I'm still shaking my head on that one.
Yeah, it's silly. Even if Kassian was a square peg for a round hole the Canucks think they have, I can't think he wasn't worth a 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounder. We let Tom Sestito go home. Guys that "protect the younger players" are available for nothing. It shouldn't take us bending over and taking it the hoop to acquire them.
I'm more interested now on who else they move. Benning said it a couple of times today, they are not done. Unlike last year when he said they are done and let's see what happens at camp. Right now he is saying he still wants to make moves.
My list: Burrows, Higgins, Hansen. Save Hamhuis and Vrbata for the deadline. The way Jim trades we'll be lucky to get a couple 2nds and a couple 5ths for the whole bunch.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

HW I don't know if your sources are reading the board and want you to keep things light ;) or something, but we get the rationale. One can rationalize nearly anything and it appears Benning and some others are prepared to do so with a vision that runs counter to what most see as a sensible plan to rebuild, or to compete now. Fine.

Benning traded Kassian because _______. Fine.
He got Prust because _________. Fine.
He added the pick because _________. Fine.

You can do this with all of his moves but really.. Is he going to win a trade at any point in his tenure? The next will be his first. We all get that a new regime is going to go out and get their guys and you'll lose some value on some of those deals but with the position we were in to start, he had better be a god damned wizard at the draft table if he's going to recoup assets because this smacks of yet another case of him targeting one guy and then going out and giving up whatever it takes to get him.

We'll see what $2.5m gets you from this UFA pool, you could potentially make a case we would have been better off waiving Kassian.

As always we'll see how it works out over time. I'm not too hopeful, but it is what it is.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Benning is not committed to extending him at this time. As long as Lucic does not extend I doubt he looks to re-sign Prust, Lucic is who he wants.

Re Prust. It might be as simple as Prust not being open to talking extension at this time. Wants to see how the season unfolds. If it doesn't work out, Prust could go to a contender at TDD.

I could see Benning working hard to move out one more vet up front. Burr's contract may be too hard to move, but both Higgins and Hansen have trade value, and reasonable contracts. The one strength the Canucks had last year was their PK. Bringing in Prust adds another formidable penalty killer, thus making one of the vets even more expendable.

Also, I could see Benning sign a veteran centre on a short term deal. Greg Campbell is still available, and like Dorsett and Prust, is great in the room and a character, blue collar player.

I wonder if Benning has his eyes on another blue liner too. Someone with size and toughness.