Kassian traded to Habs...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Kassian traded to Habs...

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:Kassian is stoked about going to Montreal, his dad's favourite team. Says he is lost for words and can't wait to get going. He is thrilled and can't really say what went wrong in Vancouver. Boy does he sound happy to be outta here.
Good for Kas then. Always liked him and hope he scores 30 goals in Montreal this year.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

By having to add the 5th round pick, it makes me think that Benning specifically targeted Prust as a player he "needed" to get - not unlike the Vey and Dorsett trades which seemed like overpayments...

I wonder what other teams would have paid for Kassian? I get the distinct feeling Benning never checked, and just gave up what Montreal asked for in order to give up Prust.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

NHL.com is reporting the 5th is coming from Montreal so Prust and a 5th in 2016 for Kassian.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Arbour wrote:NHL.com is reporting the 5th is coming from Montreal so Prust and a 5th in 2016 for Kassian.

That deal I have no problem with. I have seen it both ways on the net.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Klatt wrote:Prust is character, good to have around the young kids. Kassian is not character. This is good for long term.

I'm sure Prust can be dealt as a solid playoff guy at the deadline for some decent return, e.g. 2nd/3rd.
Klatt? You're alive????? :shock:

This thread here is the first time I have ever heard of Kassian being a bad character and a negative presence in the room. Every other report we've heard is that he was well liked and a good teammate.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Arbour wrote:NHL.com is reporting the 5th is coming from Montreal so Prust and a 5th in 2016 for Kassian.
Canucks press release:
Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has acquired forward Brandon Prust from Montreal in exchange for Zack Kassian and a fifth round pick in 2016.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Settled then, we gave up the 5th. Meh to the trade.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

The only way this trade makes sense is if Kassian really is as retarded in the room as some have intimated.

His teammates seemed genuinely happy for him when he broke out a bit last season. If he was a joke, they wouldn't have been so stoked, you would think.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Settle down you chicken littles

I had hoped kassian would pan out too but three coaches turned up their nose at the guy and he was increasingly a non factor.

They coulda traded him for hockey tape and sticks and it wouldn't have made much difference
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Bieksa, Lack, Kassian and a 5th... and we get back Prust, a 2nd, a 3rd and a 7th.

Jimbo's having a great fucking summer.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote:Well at least Prust kills penalties. LOL
He is a ufa in one season . Just got here in time to get an extension for 4 million per . Benning may go down as the 2nd worst gm in team history after Jack Gordon . I would have taken a 7th rounder in 2017 if they were so determined to get rid of him . Prust is Dorsett who was a non factor in the playoffs .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Mëds wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
theman wrote:Apparently it is for Brandon Prust and a 5th
Please tell me you're kidding
LMAO!!!

Even RD is blown away by this.....first time that him and Blobby (and me) are all on the same page at the same time.

BENNING IS A FUCKING RETARD!
I can't believe we gave up a draft pick in addition to Kassian. Do not like this trade at all, especially when, before his injury, he really seemed to be improving his play. Hope Kassian is able to put it together and prove the naysayers (and management) wrong.

I would have been annoyed at the trade anyway (trading young potential 2nd liner for a veteran 4th liner) but adding the 5th just adds salt on the wound.

Well, at least we continue to inch closer to that #1 pick.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Canucks press release:
Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has acquired forward Brandon Prust from Montreal in exchange for Zack Kassian and a fifth round pick in 2016.
Hmm. Maybe NHL.com can't believe it either. This one has got me baffled. Why the pick?
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Do not worry Blob, we won't be anywhere near the playoffs for a while.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

herb wrote:The only way this trade makes sense is if Kassian really is as retarded in the room as some have intimated.

His teammates seemed genuinely happy for him when he broke out a bit last season. If he was a joke, they wouldn't have been so stoked, you would think.
Yep. Smacks of the character assassination that Boston has thrown around after they trade players. I hope Kassian does well in Montreal.

Willie's going to have a lot of fun playing a Prust-Vey-Dorsett line in a 4-line rotation.

Why didn't they just trade Kassain for a 2nd or a 3rd? Benning loves trading those picks for maybe-NHL players like Vey or Baertschi, why not try going the other way and recoup one of those picks for Kassian?