Kassian traded to Habs...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Kassian traded to Habs...

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ukcanuck wrote:Settle down you chicken littles

I had hoped kassian would pan out too but three coaches turned up their nose at the guy and he was increasingly a non factor.

They coulda traded him for hockey tape and sticks and it wouldn't have made much difference
Yeah Kassian didn't get an opportunity with this coaching staff and then got injured . Fine if they want to move him but get more than an old overpaid runt who plays on the 4th line and has wrestling matches with other players . It's called asset management and Ignitowski is the worst manager of assets in the league .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Well at least Prust kills penalties. LOL
He is a ufa in one season . Just got here in time to get an extension for 4 million per . Benning may go down as the 2nd worst gm in team history after Jack Gordon . I would have taken a 7th rounder in 2017 if they were so determined to get rid of him . Prust is Dorsett who was a non factor in the playoffs .
Blob Lindy Ruff AV Torts WD couldnt figure this guy out he turns 25 in Jan and this is his 3rd team move on...
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

DonCherry4PM wrote:I would have been annoyed at the trade anyway (trading young potential 2nd liner for a veteran 4th liner) but adding the 5th just adds salt on the wound.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts - it seems that Benning is focusing on 'character' guys now. Maybe it's all part of a plan to bring the kids up in the right environment, but we won't see results for years to come.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

olpaddy wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
He is a ufa in one season . Just got here in time to get an extension for 4 million per . Benning may go down as the 2nd worst gm in team history after Jack Gordon . I would have taken a 7th rounder in 2017 if they were so determined to get rid of him . Prust is Dorsett who was a non factor in the playoffs .
Blob Lindy Ruff AV Torts WD couldnt figure this guy out he turns 25 in Jan and this is his 3rd team move on...
It's asset management paddy . Are you not horrified by some of Ignitowski's moves over the past 12 -13 months ? Or are you a big Linden Vey booster ? Maybe you feel Luca Sbisa is going to break out After 350 fucking games. Ignitowski is a moron .
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I love this trade. Paddy nails it, how many coaches does Zach need before it becomes obvious that he's just flat out dumb.

CoHo of the Sabres buyout begets toothless Zach begets Prust of the character.

Vertebrae Zach of the velcro laces and a fifth for more character and depth on a short contract. An example for the kids to follow who won't be hanging around past his due date.

Who's next on the fan favourite chopping block..................Burrows?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:Settle down you chicken littles

I had hoped kassian would pan out too but three coaches turned up their nose at the guy and he was increasingly a non factor.

They coulda traded him for hockey tape and sticks and it wouldn't have made much difference
Yeah Kassian didn't get an opportunity with this coaching staff and then got injured . Fine if they want to move him but get more than an old overpaid runt who plays on the 4th line and has wrestling matches with other players . It's called asset management and Ignitowski is the worst manager of assets in the league .
Three coaches, four if you include his buffalo coach all passed on the guy.

Prust was the Hab's pim leader and 6th in the league last season.
We got not much In goals from kassian and we get less from Prust. But we get sandpaper for a team we all were worried about being too pillowy soft an hour ago
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Bingo. Prust:

Good in dressing room
Leader on the team
Liked by teammates
Strong work ethic
Good with younger players
Good off the ice

Kills penalties
Fights
Hard on the forecheck
Sticks up for teammates

Stays within his role. This I think it the big one. Canucks wanted Kassian to play more like Dorsett or Higgins and not try to be offensive.

Plays on the left side so as said there is now room for Virtanen on the right.

Still shaking my head, not so much at adding Prust but in what it cost to get him. So ya, this was a targeted trade by Benning and he paid what he had to to get him.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Now Ignitowski gets to shoehorn Virtanen in after his shitty season in the dub . Willies son Linden Vey will get more ice time and the guy with the tattoos is gone . Win win for the mongoloid management team . Really hoping they get rid of Hammer, Bonino and Vrbata today . Drive this thing into a ditch Iggy and get as high of a pick as possible .
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

So, what's big Jim's theory here, get tough, character guys like Dorsett and Prust on the forward lines, let the kids play and these guys can help protect them? Color me confused as hell as to what is going on. If they traded Kassian for say Habs young guy who needed a change of scenery, I could see it. Prust has one year left on his deal, so he's not a long term cap concern...This team just seems like such a mish mash of parts. I was fine with Bieksa going, more than fine had to be done, but Prust for Kassian, hmm? I guess if you determine Kassian is not part of the future and you're looking to build a bridge for the next gen maybe Prust helps with maintaining a competitive team...maybe.

yeah, I'm totally confused as to what this team is doing. Maybe it's brilliant and I just can't see it.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Now Ignitowski gets to shoehorn Virtanen in after his shitty season in the dub . Willies son Linden Vey will get more ice time and the guy with the tattoos is gone . Win win for the mongoloid management team . Really hoping they get rid of Hammer, Bonino and Vrbata today . Drive this thing into a ditch Iggy and get as high of a pick as possible .
Wow blob you swallowed the bitter pill or what?

Every one wanted change from eye bags and the fonz.

We got it in spades.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

While I'm still baffled about the 5th it would seem that Benning is making room for players on the right side, addition by subtraction as it were. Grenier performed well for the Comets and perhaps Benning sees him as a younger replacement with more upside than Kassian. Virtanen may be getting a long look as well. But a 5th...
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Boston Canucker wrote:So, what's big Jim's theory here, get tough, character guys like Dorsett and Prust on the forward lines, let the kids play and these guys can help protect them? Color me confused as hell as to what is going on. If they traded Kassian for say Habs young guy who needed a change of scenery, I could see it. Prust has one year left on his deal, so he's not a long term cap concern...This team just seems like such a mish mash of parts. I was fine with Bieksa going, more than fine had to be done, but Prust for Kassian, hmm? I guess if you determine Kassian is not part of the future and you're looking to build a bridge for the next gen maybe Prust helps with maintaining a competitive team...maybe.

yeah, I'm totally confused as to what this team is doing. Maybe it's brilliant and I just can't see it.
Seems like the Canucks didn't think he was worth much and if reports are correct the rest of the league agrees with Benning.

Couldn't get any real value back at last year's TDl or this past draft.

Maybe we are all guilty of wearing rose colored glasses again?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Now Ignitowski gets to shoehorn Virtanen in after his shitty season in the dub . Willies son Linden Vey will get more ice time and the guy with the tattoos is gone . Win win for the mongoloid management team . Really hoping they get rid of Hammer, Bonino and Vrbata today . Drive this thing into a ditch Iggy and get as high of a pick as possible .
For a guy that enjoys drafting (it appears to be the ONLY thing he is good at) he sure loves pissing away draft picks.

If Kassian isn't worth a 2nd round pick what the hell are we doing trading 2nd's like Pez for guys like Vey?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Forgot about Grenier. He had a strong year with Utica and was great in their playoff run. They have resigned him and would lose him on waivers.

It's just the pick we had to give up.
The only HW the Canucks need
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
olpaddy wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
It's asset management paddy . Are you not horrified by some of Ignitowski's moves over the past 12 -13 months ? Or are you a big Linden Vey booster ? Maybe you feel Luca Sbisa is going to break out After 350 fucking games. Ignitowski is a moron .
Im not big on Linden Vey but at the time the deal was made I was ok with it because our cupboards were bare for guys in his age group and they still are... As far as Prust goes who is a UFA at the end of the yr Zack is a RFA at the end of the yr... Lets talk asset management what do you do with Zack Kassian Bad Back/finger who played in zero playoff games in a yr when he wants a raise??? Do you walk away from Salary Arb? HW wouuld know more about the rumblings of 9 off the ice but I suspect the franchise is fed up...