Bieska to Ducks for 2nd round in 2016

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Re: Bieska to Ducks for 2nd round in 2016

Post by UWSaint »

Bye, Biexsa.

Guys like Biexsa are so much better off in the bottom pairing of a great team that the top 4 of a middling-to-worse team. The 5/6 role shows off the benefits of experience while hiding the warts.

And Kev had warts. There were good years and bad years, but more good than bad and plenty of entertainment in the form of snarls and cross checks and surprisingly smooth rushes. Thanks for scoring that goal against San Jose and getting the Canucks to the Stanley Cup Finals.

May you get there again.
Hono_rary Canadian
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Ohdee and GM are better dancers.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:
This is great!!

Now the third amigo (Burrows) will waive to Anaheim at the deadline!

Perfect for the internal-budget Ducks.

See, Burrows only gets $3M in actual salary in 2016-17 (last season on his contract).

QUACK QUACK QUACK!!!
Yup Burrows is next!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Tampa Bay.
Missed the playoffs 5 out of 6 years, had 4 picks in the top 6 in that span.

That's worse than any stretch in Canucks history, so I don't know that that qualifies as a quick rebuild.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

ESQ wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Tampa Bay.

That's worse than any stretch in Canucks history, so I don't know that that qualifies as a quick rebuild.
By the same token, they won a cup in 2004 and were in game 7 of the EC finals seven years later.

Frankly their trajectory would be tough to follow - a management group bad enough to steer them into the toilet followed by a change in ownership followed by hiring a guy who's rapidly built up an excellent group.. what kind of 'model' is that?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

dbr wrote: Frankly their trajectory would be tough to follow
It would be worth studying.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

dbr wrote:
Frankly their trajectory would be tough to follow - a management group bad enough to steer them into the toilet followed by a change in ownership followed by hiring a guy who's rapidly built up an excellent group.. what kind of 'model' is that?
You're right - each successful iteration of the Bolts had the previous regime's 1st overall draft picks as the MVPs - Feaster inherited Lecavalier, Richards and St Louis, Yzerman inherited Stamkos and Hedman.

I guess the Tampa model would be, have one 1st overall pick every decade...hm, that's not bad actually.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

ESQ wrote:
dbr wrote:
You're right - each successful iteration of the Bolts had the previous regime's 1st overall draft picks as the MVPs - Feaster inherited Lecavalier, Richards and St Louis, Yzerman inherited Stamkos and Hedman.

I guess the Tampa model would be, have one 1st overall pick every decade...hm, that's not bad actually.
Not for Vancouver tho....their model is muddle through season after season making the playoffs and bowing out in the 1st round then convince the fans that competing is worth more than building through high picks and good drafting.
If you need air...call it in
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

ESQ wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Tampa Bay.

I don't think people realize how shitty the Canucks will be for the next little while. We're going to have 2-3 top-3 picks over the next 6-8 years. We'll draft in the top-10 for a long time, which is great for Benning. Chances are he'll get purged for an actual GM when ownership thinks we have enough assets to start dealing again.

We're back to the 80's, folks. Oilers and Flames going to ass-ram us for a while until we can stockpile enough young talent. Benning can't trade for shit, so it's all gonna happen through the draft.

Bo Horvat will be a long-serving Vet by the time the Canucks become relevant again.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
ESQ wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Tampa Bay.

I don't think people realize how shitty the Canucks will be for the next little while. We're going to have 2-3 top-3 picks over the next 6-8 years. We'll draft in the top-10 for a long time, which is great for Benning. Chances are he'll get purged for an actual GM when ownership thinks we have enough assets to start dealing again.

We're back to the 80's, folks. Oilers and Flames going to ass-ram us for a while until we can stockpile enough young talent. Benning can't trade for shit, so it's all gonna happen through the draft.

Bo Horvat will be a long-serving Vet by the time the Canucks become relevant again.
Look who woke up this morning.

The Bo and KidCo. Canucks will be great to watch and it is coming in about two years time.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Topper wrote: The Bo and KidCo. Canucks will be great to watch and it is coming in about two years time.
I'll have what Topper is smoking, please.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Island Nucklehead wrote: I don't think people realize how shitty the Canucks will be for the next little while. We're going to have 2-3 top-3 picks over the next 6-8 years. We'll draft in the top-10 for a long time, which is great for Benning.
Hmm, I see I see.

I don't know how I missed that epiphany when Benning traded a tweener 3rd liner with a bad back.

But seriously, maybe you're right and we're on the cusp of the worst period in the comically-dark history of this franchise.

If this team is about to become as historically-awful as you predict, I find it hard to believe that trading Bieksa and Kassian (or anything else Benning has done) are going to go down as the root cause.

If its as bad as you say, its clearly a result of a decade of drafting/developing problems in the franchise, not Luca Sbisa.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

ESQ wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: I don't think people realize how shitty the Canucks will be for the next little while. We're going to have 2-3 top-3 picks over the next 6-8 years. We'll draft in the top-10 for a long time, which is great for Benning.
Hmm, I see I see.

I don't know how I missed that epiphany when Benning traded a tweener 3rd liner with a bad back.

But seriously, maybe you're right and we're on the cusp of the worst period in the comically-dark history of this franchise.

If this team is about to become as historically-awful as you predict, I find it hard to believe that trading Bieksa and Kassian (or anything else Benning has done) are going to go down as the root cause.

If its as bad as you say, its clearly a result of a decade of drafting/developing problems in the franchise, not Luca Sbisa.
No shit

Bieksa & Kassian are fat that needed to be cut.

Lack is very, very replaceable, and I doubt that moving him hurts the Canucks this season or in the future.

The Canucks recently gave up a 5th round pick, and acquired a 2nd, 3rd, and two 7th round picks

The main reason that the Canucks are in the spot that they are in is because they have not had a draft pick make a serious impact since 2004. Only recently has that started to change (Horvat), and only recently have they strung together a couple of promising drafts.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

I think one of the reasons they traded Lack, is that Miller will be better to handle the shift to a younger team in front of him while they go through with this "transition"....
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I don't think people realize how shitty the Canucks will be for the next little while. We're going to have 2-3 top-3 picks over the next 6-8 years. We'll draft in the top-10 for a long time, which is great for Benning. Chances are he'll get purged for an actual GM when ownership thinks we have enough assets to start dealing again.
I don't like some of the moves Jimbo has made, but I'm totally OK with this. We have had a pretty damn good run since 2000. 14 seasons, only missed the playoffs three times. Won our division 7 times. We have been one of the better clubs in hockey since the turn of the century. This has easily been the best stretch in Canuck's history.

I don't think it will take 6-8 years, though.

Horvat, Cassels, McCann, Gaunce, Virtanen, Baertschi, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Boeser, & Grenier are our top 10 forward prospects. 8 or 9 of these have legitimate shots at playing top six roles in the NHL. That's certainly not terrible. We're not starting from square one by any stretch of the imagination.