Draft Day 2015: Picks & Trades

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Re: Draft Day 2015: Picks & Trades

Post by Uncle dans leg » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:50 pm

Mikey sweats like Baron Harkonnen from Dune...

Everybody knew when he needed to make shit happen...even the cheeseburgler could spot the stress oozing outta him.
nobody focks...with the jesus

Hank
CC Legend

Post by Hank » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:58 pm

yeah, Gilly always looked like he just inhaled a whole bunch of szechuan peppers and washed it down with a litre of cheap booze. Even his eye-bags were all red and sweaty.

Maybe he grew the neckbeard just to keep the perspiration from soaking his shirt.
Try to focus on 1 year from now...

DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:27 pm

Reefer2 wrote: Seems anytime someone doesn't like what someone else writes they are called urine crew.
Agreed, Reef. Just a very lazy counterargument (if it can even be called that).
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu

BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:48 am

Hockey Widow wrote:You know if there was a better offer tabled they would have grabbed it, for both Lack and Bieksa. Much happier having a GM that identifies who he is moving then does it. That was one of my criticisms of MG, he just could never seem to pull the trigger when he had to, like he was afraid of making a mistake.
I'm glad he's active in terms of trading those he doesn't see as a fit, even if the price isn't what he wants. My complaint is that he is too forthright with the press about what he wants to do and what's on the table. It kills his negotiating position. Granted, with Lack at least everybody knew the Canucks had to move somebody which didn't help his approach. To that extent at least, Gillis knew how to play the game BUT as has been noted, he always saw his BATNA was to keep the player, while Benning figures to just get the players he doesn't want out of the system.

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ESQ » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:06 am

olpaddy wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: But I'm fully on board with cleaning house, was last season too. I just don't think it happens as long as we have the twins.

HW I Luv ya but there is no way on gods green earth that you can ever clean house here and fully rebuild... Its one thing for fans on message boards,media peeps,the guy who calls in on the radio to say he wants scorched earth policy.... Its another thing to get your season tickets renewal in the mail with a 15% increase for the fourth straight year of missing the post season... I watched from afar hearing after this team made the playoffs after only missing 1 yr... This club had trouble selling out in the playoffs
Heck, they can't even trade the backup goalie without the fanbase having a crisis of confidence.

By year 3 on the job, Benning will have turned over 3/4ths of the roster - 1/4th last year, 1/4th this year, 1/4th next year. That is a solid plan to refresh the roster, rather than dumping half the roster in one go.

I believe this will help development of prospects - last year saw more rookies (and more production from rookies) than this franchise has seen in over a decade. Next year could be the same, with 3-4 rookies drawing in. It will be really interesting to see this development model as a counterpoint to Edmonton and Calgary, particularly when we see how Bo does in his sophomore year and how Gaudreau does in his sophomore year. I'm expecting Bo to continue to progress, and Gaudreau and the other Flames rookies to see a major sophomore slump - see Avalanche, Colorado.

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ESQ » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:13 am

Island Nucklehead wrote: Calgary is already better than us and got better.
I'm calling it right now:

Calgary pulls a Colorado and misses the playoffs next year, Canucks make it in.

Terrible possession + 2nd highest shooting % + extremely high shooting % from rookies does not a "better" hockey team make.

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:21 pm

ESQ wrote:

Terrible possession + 2nd highest shooting % + extremely high shooting % from rookies does not a "better" hockey team make.
I would love that to happen and watch CalPuke implode.

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:24 pm

ESQ wrote:

This is by no means a stretch. The club improved on a position they didn't need to improve on, while sacrificing a significant portion of their draft picks. They still need to upgrade their tending, size and offence up front.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:26 pm

ESQ wrote:
By year 3 on the job, Benning will have turned over 3/4ths of the roster - 1/4th last year, 1/4th this year, 1/4th next year. That is a solid plan to refresh the roster, rather than dumping half the roster in one go.

I believe this will help development of prospects - last year saw more rookies (and more production from rookies) than this franchise has seen in over a decade. Next year could be the same, with 3-4 rookies drawing in. It will be really interesting to see this development model as a counterpoint to Edmonton and Calgary, particularly when we see how Bo does in his sophomore year and how Gaudreau does in his sophomore year. I'm expecting Bo to continue to progress, and Gaudreau and the other Flames rookies to see a major sophomore slump - see Avalanche, Colorado.
Yup it's a solid plan, slow but steady towards a younger, talented with more depth line up in a few years time, and for the long term success of this franchise.

They're no easy quick fixes for this aging squad, so I appreciate JB's approach to this and I like how he can trade a fan fave and take the heat from all the canucks fangirls out there online.

I see Bieksa traded if not for picks then a young dman or forward on a cheap contract.
Plus with a lot of our prospects about to be waiver eligible, I can see Shinkaruk or Jensen packaged with Juice to get a somewhat decent return.
--

And looking ahead, if we are not in playoff contention by the trade deadline, I see Vrbata traded for a 1st+prospect ala Vanek.

Burrows will be dealt in the 2016 offseason to continue on with shedding expensive vets to bring in the youth.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:33 pm

SKYO wrote:Plus with a lot of our prospects about to be waiver eligible, I can see Shinkaruk or Jensen packaged with Juice to get a somewhat decent return.
I can see Jensen being traded this offseason but Shinkaruk just finished his first AHL season. It might not be a very successful rookie season. Is he already considered a bust?? :hmmm:
Last edited by Jovocop on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:37 pm

Jovocop wrote:
SKYO wrote:Plus with a lot of our prospects about to be waiver eligible, I can see Shinkaruk or Jensen packaged with Juice to get a somewhat decent return.

I can see Jensen being traded this offseason but Shinkaruk just finished his first AHL season. It might not be a very successful rookie season. Is he already considered a bust?? :hmmm:
Not a bust, I like Shinkaruk I think he's got a lot of scoring talent - but with that he's got value, I'm just hoping to land a young top 4 dman to grow with this retooling team.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:48 pm

30 minute quarterback fucking D- man + youth....
You are who you hang with.....

Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Post by Uncle dans leg » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:21 pm

rats19 wrote:30 minute quarterback fucking D- man + youth....
I picture u totally hammered and pissed off writing that :lol:
nobody focks...with the jesus

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:38 pm

Just curious, did anyone hear why JB picked Carl Neill over Ryan Pilon? Neill was ranked 170th by ISS and Pilon was ranked 94th by ISS and 24th by NHL Central Scouting. :?:

Hank
CC Legend

Post by Hank » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:00 pm

Bad juju man. You can't draft a hockey player named Pilon.
Try to focus on 1 year from now...