Draft Day 2015: Picks & Trades

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Draft Day 2015: Picks & Trades

Post by 2Fingers »

RoyalDude wrote:One spin around the boards here and I am left to wonder why some of you don't have jobs running NHL teams
I'm a family man and when they called I asked if I can work from home, when they said no I declined.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hard to not be disappointed coming out of that draft.

I think it's going to be harder to offload guys like Bieksa, Burrows, Higgins and/or Hansen with Free Agency openning. We'll likely have to wait for teams to strike out there before we can deal them. I'm sure any returns there will be underwhelming also. It might be better to wait for the TDD, but then again we'll likely be within 8 points of a playoff spot and Benning will think there's a chance...
Hockey Widow wrote: Teams around us got better, some did. But not as much as some here fear. LA got Lucic but still have cap issues and problems on defence. Calgary got Hamilton, and that's big, but the rest of their draft picks are 3-4 years away from helping. Edmonton got McJesus and Reinhart and Talbot and I think they will be better this year but they were so bad. The Avs, players in, players out. Hard to say if they have improved much. Who else got better in the West?

Now if you are talking 3-4 years from now, the Flames and Oilers should be very good teams. LA will be approaching a closing window and they have given up a lot of picks and prospects over the years. The AVS have stayed about the same. SJS haven't done much. Anaheim had some very good prospects but still have question marks and are getting older.
Yeah, I dunno. I think Edmonton will be challenging us for position this season. Calgary is already better than us and got better. I'm not overly concerned about Colorado, as they're in the Central, but they're improved (deeper), and the natural progression of guys like MacKinnon and Landeskog should improve them also. LA saves money going from Williams to Lucic, and get even harder to play against.

As things stand today, the only team I confidently feel we'll be better than in the Pacific is Arizona.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I agree IN, that Edmonton got a lot better, as soon as they won the lottery we knew it. Getting Talbot and Reinhart should also make them better. But so far Calgary has just added Hamilton. It is true that Calgary passed us last year in terms of being a good young team and adding Hamilton will make them better still. But Calgary over taking us and Edmonton getting better were foregone conclusions before the draft. Not too much Benning could have done in this draft to over come that.

LA getting Lucic will help then but they still have a mess to clear up. Still, they under achieved last year and most of us expected them to bounce back next season before they got Lucic.

I'm just saying that none of these teams grew in leaps and bounds because of the draft. For the most part these picks are a few years away from helping those teams. LA is still a contender in spite of last season. Calgary was up in coming in spite the draft. Edmonton was guaranteed McJesus no matter what we did. It was all going to happen no matter what Benning did. Even if he got 2-3 2nds somehow, those picks would do nothing to make us better next year.

Our prospects are still a couple of years away from making an impact, if they develop as we hope.

Getting Lucic at the cost of our first, plus a good young prospect or two? No thanks. If he is FA still next year, fine, kick the tires.

Perhaps it's just the realization of what some have been saying since 2013, the core is done. The cupboards were bare when Benning got here. He gave the core a year to prove they could still do it. Up 3-0 in game six and they choked.

We are not the only team with vets we want to move and can't. Someone has to want them. We still have time to move pieces out and we need to for the many reasons that have been talked about before. And no, I don't expect Benning will clean house. I wish he would but I know he won't. And no matter what some say, we don't have the stomach for a five year re-build.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Anyone see what SJS got for Niemi? We thought our return for Lack was shit.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I'm glad I put on a dry suit, mask and snorkel before logging in.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:I'm glad I put on a dry suit, mask and snorkel before logging in.
No doubt!

I don't see what the fuss is all about, logic dictated that Lack had to go.

Most of us saw the logic of that weeks ago.

Hey, we just got 2 years younger, isn't that what everyone wants? :?

Sure, Markstrom is a gamble, but it's not like we're a contender.

If Marx fails, Cannata gets a shot or we deal for another young tender (hey they're cheap!) :mrgreen:

As I have said many times: "Lack is nothing special".

We were hoping for a 2nd round pick but got a high 3rd.

Big Whoop.

I think that BULLSHIT rumour of Lack/Bieksa/23rd to SJ for the 9th got everyone's hopes up.

Please note I called BULLSHIT on that from the moment it was posted.

A high 3rd for Lack is fine by me....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow wrote:Anyone see what SJS got for Niemi? We thought our return for Lack was shit.
Well he can already negotiate speak with with anyone and is a UFA in 4 days, so I'm not sure how it's comparable to Lack, at all. I guess 7th rounders are the going rate for goalies rights, and a 3rd is the going rate for a 1 season rental.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Anyone see what SJS got for Niemi? We thought our return for Lack was shit.
Well he can already negotiate speak with with anyone and is a UFA in 4 days, so I'm not sure how it's comparable to Lack, at all. I guess 7th rounders are the going rate for goalies rights, and a 3rd is the going rate for a 1 season rental.

But we got a 3rd and a 7th next year!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The market demand dictates the price not the seller. Why people cannot find it in their pee stained brains to realize that if Benning could have gotten more for Lack he would have

The Rangers didn't get much better for a similar aged goalie and contract in Talbot who was in bigger demand. Lack isn't that great, he has trouble tracking shots
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Anyhow, I hope Boeser breaks the chain on our run of bad luck in drafting Minnesotans. Let's hood this is a Stepan style win for us instead of Minnesota busts like Schroeder and Patrick White.

Was really surprised we passed on Horvats cousin - Konecny but the kid is small - 5'-9". I like Boesers size and size seems to be the way of the west these days. our future looks better on the wings now. Hope the kid doesn't do 3 years at North Dakota and we see him sooner
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canu ... ack-trade/

Anyone wonder why there are so many bed-wetters out there?
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Mëds wrote:The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

You can't handle the truth Mëds,Keep you canuck-coloured glasses on

Glad to see you joined up with the Urine obsessed crew, it suits you
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dangler wrote:
Mëds wrote:The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

You can't handle the truth Mëds,Keep you canuck-coloured glasses on

Glad to see you joined up with the Urine obsessed crew, it suits you
Who is bed wetting here?

I am happy with our first round. I don't know much at all about our picks beyond that. I think that Lack was worth at least low second, but the market is what it is and it was something now or closer to nothing later. I might vent a little, but really the only thing that had me worked up was the fact that nothing happened with Bieksa. However, finding out that yesterday's rumors were nothing more than Darren Dreger's latest attempt to screw with the Canucks again, meh whatever.

Maybe you missed my point with that link though Dangler sarcasm can be tough to pick up on via reading text, but it figures it would go over your head though. :roll:
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:The market demand dictates the price not the seller. Why people cannot find it in their pee stained brains to realize that if Benning could have gotten more for Lack he would have

The Rangers didn't get much better for a similar aged goalie and contract in Talbot who was in bigger demand. Lack isn't that great, he has trouble tracking shots
Yep, if you want to get overpayments for your players you trade them at the deadline. We haven't had the chance to do that in a long time, clearing out the decks at the deadline being out of the playoff picture. Probably won't happen until the twins retire so we will have a few more years of mediocrity until then. The worst time to trade players for picks is at the draft but it's the only time we seem to do it. Hopefully somebody will learn this at some point.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Diehard1 wrote: Yep, if you want to get overpayments for your players you trade them at the deadline. We haven't had the chance to do that in a long time, clearing out the decks at the deadline being out of the playoff picture. Probably won't happen until the twins retire so we will have a few more years of mediocrity until then. The worst time to trade players for picks is at the draft but it's the only time we seem to do it. Hopefully somebody will learn this at some point.
I dunno, Diehard. I'm getting the feeling we could be sellers as soon as this season.