The Defence

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: The Defence

Post by vic »

Losing Bieksa at this point would be the same (if not worse than) when the team lost Mitchell - there is nobody on this team that can take on that role and it will set them back. Same thing happened when they lost Salo.

Hopefully in 2-3 years, there are a couple of young d-men who can take on a 3/4 role and eventually the 1/2 role (just like the current situation where Edler/Tanev have taken over the 1/2 role from Bieksa and Hamuis)
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

The team played pretty well while Bieksa was out. Just sayin'...

Clendening and Corrado should both take steps forward between now and when we need to make a decision on Juice.

The Hamhuis-Weber pairing has been excellent this season.

Bieksa is not as critical as he was in past years. Is he still the heart and soul of this team? Yes. Do I still want him around? Yes. BUT, a year from now Management needs to make a decision, and I don't think I will want to see KB3, who will be nearly 35 at that time, back on another big expensive deal given our growing depth on D.

Now, if Kevin "Going Down With the Ship" Bieksa wants to come back on a cheap-o short-term deal, well that's another matter entirely.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

herb wrote:The team played pretty well while Bieksa was out. Just sayin'...
As our friend Topper kept pointing out, the team was lucky in winning games during that time frame

(going by the underlying numbers and the eye test).

Holding the fort next year:

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Stanton - Weber
Corrado - Clendening

??

Cost effective at least.

Trade Sbisa for a 4th... or let him walk.

See how things shake out.

Hopefully Pedan/Subban can make the jump in 1/2 years.
____
Try to focus on someday.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

In the 22 games Bieksa missed, they won 12, lost 10.

They averaged 3 GAA per game during his absence, breaking it down into 6 game segments:
Games 1-6: 4.4 GAA
Games 7-12: 3.8 GAA
Games 13-22: 3.7 GAA (7 games)

In the 6 games he's been back they've gone 5-1 and have a 2.00 GAA

I'd say the team is a lot better with Bieksa in the lineup than without.

Edit (addition):
Going back to my original argument, the 2011 Team played pretty well without Mitchell. If they had Mitchell instead of Rome or Alberts or Ballard, they probably have a cup.

Edit again - sorry my math was wrong on the final set of games - had it right, but entered it wrong.

Never the less - the team is still better with KB3.
Last edited by vic on Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

The Hamhuis-Weber pairing has been excellent this season.
I think Weber adds a little more to a Hamhuis pairing than Bieksa.
Faster and more offence. I also think Webers learned alot from Bieksa as will Stanton,Clendenning and Corrado.
The timing should be good for the club to move on by the time his contract expires as at least 1 of those 3 should be able to take over his spot.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Tanev and Edler also missed time during that stretch when Bieksa was out. Heck, even Corrado was injured. It's almost impossible to gauge the impact Bieksa's injury had on the team's fortunes over that span.

I should have put the caveat in that all things considered, the Canucks were OK without Bieksa. Tanev and Edler were missed much more. Yes the Canucks got lucky. They should not have won as many games as they did, but with 3 top 4 D out it could have gone a whole lot worse than it did.

Anyway, since KB3's return to the lineup, the Canucks have essentially been healthy. That's been a huge factor in why they are 5-1 in their last 6 games and find themselves in a playoff spot. Let's hope all hands remain on deck for a while.

I'm all for your D next year, Doc. I think Jimbo might bring back Sbisa, though. Not what I would do, but I think he might.

I just hope one of Corrado or Clendening isn't the casualty if Sbisa is brought back. Both have more upside, IMO.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

herb wrote: Bieksa is not as critical as he was in past years. Is he still the heart and soul of this team? Yes. Do I still want him around? Yes. BUT, a year from now Management needs to make a decision, and I don't think I will want to see KB3, who will be nearly 35 at that time, back on another big expensive deal given our growing depth on D.

Now, if Kevin "Going Down With the Ship" Bieksa wants to come back on a cheap-o short-term deal, well that's another matter entirely.
Of all the players that were drafted in the "post-Sedin" era (00-08), Bieksa is the one I wanted to embody "Canucks hockey". Watching guys like Kesler and Burrows flop around the ice, I could always point to Bieksa as a guy that played the game how I thought we should. Make life hell on the opponents, have fun with your teammates, play honestly, score big goals. I have no problem with Henrik being the Captain, but I wouldn't be upset if Bieksa wore the C.

I think the timing of his next contract is actually good for the Canucks. He isn't going to be improving, he's reaching the last couple seasons of his career, and it would be great if he could finish it off as a Canuck. The fact that we have almost nothing coming up on the back end makes the decision to re-sign him that much easier. Hopefully you're right, one of our younger guys will take that "next step" and make it easier for Bieksa to transition down the lineup. Even in that case, we could do a whole lot worse than a guy like Juice on the bottom pairing.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Da Doc said :

"
Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Stanton - Weber
Corrado - Clendening
??
"

OK not a bad defence except I would put Weber with Hamuis and Bieksa with Stanton.. that would give us 1 vet with each "rookie" on line 2 and 3..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Tiger wrote: OK not a bad defence except I would put Weber with Hamuis and Bieksa with Stanton.. that would give us 1 vet with each "rookie" on line 2 and 3..
Yannick Weber has played 220 NHL games (little known fact) :wink:

(3 more games than Tanev)

Also, I like Bieksa + Hamhuis (AKA Ham Juice) :)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Strangelove wrote:Also, I like Bieksa + Hamhuis (AKA Ham Juice) :)
Oh no.... "Toddism-itis" has hit you! :oops:
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote:
:lol:

LOL u r J/J right?

wait… WTFH?!!

ICWUM!!

GHM!!!!

:crazy:

mmmm

mmmmmmm....

Lack Attack Pack!!!

Ahhhh... BTR.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cornuck wrote:
Salt in his bloody wounds.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Cornuck wrote:
*LOL* What about just Hammer-Juice? :lol:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Stop it. Both of you.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Fast forward a couple years!

This summer I think we can further solidify the defense until Juolevi is ready to shine.

CC Brethren I'd sign B. Campbell for one year @$2M to allow Juolevi to develop one more season, I don't want to rush the kid.

Plus we need help with the transition game and Campbell can show Hutton and Stecher how it's done, additionally BC would come cheaply & be reunited with his bro Guds. Campbell would gel nicely with our other senior players like the Sedins.

We can then trade Tanev for big LW'er.

2017/18 defense.

EDLER - STECHER (big vet - young QB)

CAMPBELL - GUDBRANSON (vet QB - defensive dman)

HUTTON - TRYAMKIN (dynamic dynamo pairing)

Biega the bulldog!

This way we got 3 pairs of an offensive dman with a big dman who can help defend.

Huts and Tramz get a better position to succeed on the 3rd pairing while they learn the pro game further.
Sbiz to Vegas.

take care.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.