Page 1 of 3

Re: Richard, Michael - Waivers

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:17 am
by herb
If we had a ton of cap space to burn and a big hole to fill, yeah sure I might take a look. We don't though, so it wouldn't work.

At this point, I'm not sure Richards would be an upgrade over Brad Richardson or Shawn Matthias and I don't want some overpaid bum taking icetime away from Horvat.

Re: Richards, Michael - Waivers

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:44 am
by Overtime
Mondi wrote:Wouldya? Nope.

Some team will take a flyer? No?
A resurgent team at or near the deadline would be wise to pick him up. He is only 29. Forward to the Islanders; perhaps. Not here!

Re: Richards, Michael - Waivers

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:01 pm
by Island Nucklehead
Overtime wrote:
Mondi wrote:Wouldya? Nope.

Some team will take a flyer? No?
A resurgent team at or near the deadline would be wise to pick him up. He is only 29. Forward to the Islanders; perhaps. Not here!
Only if LA ate half (or more) of his remaining salary. $5.7M cap hit for the next 5 years is attrocious for a 4th line C.

Re: Richards, Michael - Waivers

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:36 pm
by SKYO
dbr wrote:Maybe they found a trade but they want to see if they can unload Richards without taking a boat anchor in return.
Most likely.
Zedlee wrote:Richards on waivers...wow. He helped them win a couple Cups, but does that contract ever look bad now. Plus what LA traded (Schenn, Simmonds) looks pretty good for the Flyers.

The Kings are lucky there is no "No Movement Clause"...otherwise, they'd really be stuck.
Yeah can't see any team doing the Kings any favours as they are recent two-time champs.

Almost $6M per for basically a 3rd line center, he's a beast in the playoffs though so maybe Nashville grabs him? as they got expiring contracts of their aging centers this offseason.

Re: Richards, Michael - Waivers

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:14 pm
by rats19
Mmmm....no!

Re: Richards, Michael - Waivers

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:33 pm
by Zedlee
To get rid of Richards the Kings may have to sweeten the deal....retain salary and include Pearson + a draft choice as well!

Re: Richards, Michael - Waivers

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:05 pm
by Hockey Widow
If Richards clears waivers and he reports to the AHL the Kings save $975,000 from the cap. If Richards clears waivers and he fails to report he can get suspended and his cap doesn't count. If he retires there will be a penalty but less than the cap hit, just don't know the numbers.

So maybe he clears, fails to report, Kings get valuable cap space and can reactivate him for the playoffs and deal with a trade in the off season. Or someone picks him up, someone with a ton of cap room who wants to make a push this year. As long as it isn't us.

Funny how most people thought the Kngs should have used one of their compliance buy outs.

Re: Richards, Michael - Waivers

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:09 pm
by SKYO
I hope he goes unclaimed so the Kings will have buy him out or take on 30%-40% salary retention to mess with their cap a bit. :devil:

Re: Richards, Michael - Waivers

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:31 pm
by Island Nucklehead
Hockey Widow wrote: Funny how most people thought the Kngs should have used one of their compliance buy outs.
They absolutely should have.

Re: Richards, Michael - Waivers

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:17 pm
by herb
It wasn't that long ago that Richards had a gold medal around his neck and was thought of as one of the next great stars of hockey.

Dude was a Selke trophy runner up, and now at age 29 (after no major injuries or other obvious reasons his level of play has fallen) is waived. Crazy.

Re: Richards, Michael - Waivers

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:59 pm
by Island Nucklehead
herb wrote:It wasn't that long ago that Richards had a gold medal around his neck and was thought of as one of the next great stars of hockey.

Dude was a Selke trophy runner up, and now at age 29 (after no major injuries or other obvious reasons his level of play has fallen) is waived. Crazy.
Maybe no major injuries, but he's not the biggest guy and he plays real tough minutes and he's had a series of "wear and tear" injuries like sports hernia, concussion, seperated shoulder, hamstring etc. etc.

Guys got some hard miles on him going to 3 Cup finals. I was a huge Richards fan but I don't think the motor can really turn like it used to for him. I'd definitely take him on the Canucks as a player, but that contract is just too much for what he's capable of these days, unfortunately.

Re: Richards, Michael - Waivers

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:07 pm
by Vader
Richards +$1.2M per year to Buffalo for Hodgson + 2nd rounder

LA wraps Hodgson in bubblewrap and buys him in the offseason out @1/3 (he's under 26)

LA's annual cap hit is $ 1.2M retained salary + 708K buyout (4.25M/2*1/3) = ~1.9M - roughly the same as buying out Richards

Buffalo gets Richards at $4.55m (5.75M - 1.2M paid by LA). For the roughly same dough they get better utility from Richards than Hodgson (winning experience, better in the faceoff dot, more responsible defensively, leadership on young team etc)

LA sheds $5.75M cap problem for $1.9M and gets a pick out of the deal

Possible?

Re: Richards, Michael - Waivers

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:23 pm
by Hockey Widow
Vader wrote:Richards +$1.2M per year to Buffalo for Hodgson + 2nd rounder

LA wraps Hodgson in bubblewrap and buys him in the offseason out @1/3 (he's under 26)

LA's annual cap hit is $ 1.2M retained salary + 708K buyout (4.25M/2*1/3) = ~1.9M - roughly the same as buying out Richards

Buffalo gets Richards at $4.55m (5.75M - 1.2M paid by LA). For the roughly same dough they get better utility from Richards than Hodgson (winning experience, better in the faceoff dot, more responsible defensively, leadership on young team etc)

LA sheds $5.75M cap problem for $1.9M and gets a pick out of the deal

Possible?
Why would Buffalo do this without draft pick(s) coming back? They could just. Buy CoHo out if they wanted to. Buffalo is clearly in a rebuild and this move would do nothing for them.

I could see a team like Nashville going for Richards. They want a long playoff run and he could help with that. Maybe even Montreal if the price was right. Obviously there were no takers.

Some GMs learn the hard way what the value of their players really is. Gillis with the Luongo fiasco, Nonis with Dianna, Kings with Richards. There is a time to cut bait and a time when you have waited too long. LA needs cap badly. To help them out a team is going to want something back, a pick, a prospect, something to make up for taking the cap hit and helping the Kings.

Re: Richards, Michael - Waivers

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:06 pm
by Lancer
A team who may bite are the NY Islanders. They just seem like one of those teams who think they could use a guy lie Richards to get them over the hump. Not sure if they're still playing stingy with the budget but he might be a good fit.

Then again, something tells me Richards isn't going anywhere any time soon. Not at that cap hit.

Re: Richards, Michael - Waivers

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:21 pm
by Strangelove
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Funny how most people thought the Kngs should have used one of their compliance buy outs.
They absolutely should have.
Yup, would have given them more cap-room now + in the future

... don't forget about the possible recapture penalty:

http://web.archive.org/web/201408062108 ... pture-grid

*looks at the Luongo recapture penalty* :(

I heard a rumour last night that Leaves and Kings were on the verge of a Phaneuf/Richards trade.

(bad contract for bad contract)

Then this morning Kings waive Richards and Leaves say Phaneuf is injured. :?