Time to Change the Oil.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Time to Change the Oil.

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote: First it was retooling while competitive, then it was rebuild on the fly, and now it's just rebuild.

According to some, it's been a ravishing success on all fronts, or that a rebuild only means rotating players.
Yup that's what happens when the big boss (aquabro's) were close to glory and wanted a new retool when they hired their youngerish management team.

And there's very few who see it as a "ravishing success on all fronts" in Canuck land, there's a ton of haters though across all boards/social media but have simmered down after the vets turned prospects/picks moves by JB.

Island Nucklehead wrote:Might also be worth pointing out that this team has gotten progressively worse since Benning got here, also a bad trend, given his stated strategy.
Also worth noting our "best players" the Sedins (whom are locked in with NMC's) have progressively gotten worse & they take the lions share of minutes here, and as the Sedins go is usually how our putrid offense goes, since this team hasn't had another scoring line really till Baertschi-Horvat started to cement themselves as legitimate scorers.

Island Nucklehead wrote: I'll second UDL and see myself out
Uncle dans leg wrote:Until this past trade deadline Benning has been making moves that indicate he sees a contender and proves it by adding pieces like Eriksson. He put gold spinners on his 87 hyundai pony.

This past deadline he finally made moves like GMs do when their teams suck the kind of ass this team has sucked.
Yup, the aquabro's the big honcho's who pay the big bucks to everyone finally digressed into the rebuild.

And now let the scout-mind GM do his work.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Finally I get it, Docs 1-2 years from now means we have new management and finally moving in the right direction.

Doc your a freaking genius.

Why didn't you explain it like that?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Anyways, this thread has been derailed enough, I'll second UDL and see myself out
Uncle dans leg wrote:Until this past trade deadline Benning has been making moves that indicate he sees a contender and proves it by adding pieces like Eriksson. He put gold spinners on his 87 hyundai pony.

This past deadline he finally made moves like GMs do when their teams suck the kind of ass this team has sucked.
Thanks for posting the present-day narrative of CHARF (Can't Handle A Rebuild Fans).

After 3 years of unplanned foot stomping, breathe holding, and shorts crapping

... these folk started to wonder about how they were ever going to get back on board with dignity.

So they created the narrative you have summarized above.

"Finally", they claimed, "GMJB made rebuild-type moves with Hansen/Burr for Goldobin/Dahlen!"

But sadly, that's complete bullshit.

GMJB has been GM of your Vancouver Canucks for 39 months now.

Here are some of the moves he made in just his first 13 months:

Kesler (31)… for… Bonino (27) Sbisa (25) 1st round pick.
Garrison (29)… for… 2nd
Lack (27)… for… 3rd + 7th
Bieksa (34)… for… 2nd

In the same time-frame he also brought in Pedan (21) Baertschi (22) Granlund (22)

Again, all of the above rebuilding moves were made in just his first 13 months!

All the above rebuilding moves were made 2-3 years before the Goldobin/Dahlen rebuilding moves...
Uncle dans leg wrote:So hammering away at Blob and IN for sharing a similar opinion to the rest of the hockey world doesn't plop them into a minority...unless you consider being a frequent poster on this here message board as the extent of the hockey universe
Yeah, we all know what’s going on out there Danny Boy! :lol:

No one ever claimed Blob and IN are in the minority.

As a matter of fact, yours truly has stated the opposite many times.

The majority of Canuck fans can’t handle a rebuild.

Non-Canucks-fans/media just echo said majority.

Is any of this getting through? :hmmm:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote:.

The majority of Canuck fans can’t handle a rebuild.

Non-Canucks-fans/media just echo said majority.

Is any of this getting through? :hmmm:
So the rest of the hockey world is just echoing what you are describing as hand wringing fans who cant stomach the unorthodox moves made by stealth genius Jim?

Right. :lol:

Doc, the reason the hockey media and most fans have had so little confidence in Jim Benning is because up until recently he's been making moves that dont make sense for teams in our position...and our position over that span is where the issue has been for Benning.

He saw another 100 point season coming after Calgary exposed the core so easily. Why? Why the fuck would he see the team that so desperately needed to be gutted as a contender?

This is and has been his issue IMHO...

Stomp your feet with your fingers in your ears all you want...he is still viewed as a shitty GM.
http://thehockeywriters.com/jim-benning ... s-problem/
Last edited by Cousin Strawberry on Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Thought I would quote the whole article....

(MOD SNIP)

(Sorry Dan, but most sites don't allow the quoting of entire articles)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol that article nails it and nails Linden and Elmer to the wall. Fans are good with the direction since the trade deadline but they aren't good with the disaster that went on from June 2014- until then. It was a shitshow and only a fucking idiot or a bald faced liar would consider the team in a rebuild until the last six months.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I hate Botchford but he was all over Linden like ugly on an ape.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Ahhh criticism from the other side of the floor.... it's just so easy.

Other than having won the draft lottery twice, in a perfect world scenario, how much further along do you think the Canucks could have been over this tenure? A few more picks from rounds 3-5? Would that lift Benning out of this virtual GM basement?

The media (and some on these boards) keep hammering Linden and Benning for what they do or don't say at press conferences. Is anyone really of the belief that Linden would ever consider being truly transparent? The front office is dancing a tight-rope trying to rebuild/rework/reinvent the team while still selling tickets. It's all spin. They may have minor concern about what Botchford writes because the same season-ticket holders and prospective buyers might read it, but their priority is that they have a job to do and they won't tell you what they really think until they are long gone. In the end, it will be the final results that count, not what anyone thought along the way.

This is not meant to be a glowing endorsement of the two of them. They may end up with a failing grade once this all plays out, but what they say along the way is of little consequence.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I hate Botchford but...
... politics makes strange bedfellows. 8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Doc, the reason the hockey media and most fans have had so little confidence in Jim Benning is because up until recently he's been making moves that dont make sense for teams in our position...
So you didn't read the post to which you are responding. :scowl:

Talk about "fingers in ears"...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: Doc, the reason the hockey media and most fans have had so little confidence in Jim Benning is because up until recently he's been making moves that dont make sense for teams in our position...
So you didn't read the post to which you are responding. :scowl:

Talk about "fingers in ears"...
Ah but i did Doc...your first 13 months he makes some seemingly rebuild-like moves as you mention then goes and announces that hes looking at a contender and no more rebuild-like moves that summer...unless the Sutter acquisition counts.

This all fits in with the general consensus that he's been operating like a bumbling buffoon and why everyone all over multiple media outlets rank him as the absolute worst GM in the league.

Jim Benning Predicts 100 Points

Looking around at the experts' preseason predictions, you won't find very many experts pegging the 2015-16 Vancouver Canucks to make the playoffs.

We heard the same song last year—which had some justification considering the team was coming off a 25rd-place finish in 2013-14 and had made wholesale changes in the offseason.

Jim Benning doesn't care what the experts think. Speaking with TSN's Bob McKenzie in Penticton, the Canucks' general manager is expecting another 100-point season for his team.

Benning says "We're going to have some young players come in this year and make our team. We're going to be a faster team, a harder team to play against this year," according to The Score.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Carol-Sc ... /194/70936

Jim waffles worse than IHOP!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Uncle dans leg wrote:Thought I would quote the whole article....

(MOD SNIP)

(Sorry Dan, but most sites don't allow the quoting of entire articles)
Awwww...wheres the link i posted then? That one was gold
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol a harder team to play against, more like a harder team to watch. The team has less grit and tenacity than any of the Gillis rosters. I honestly can't think of an NHL roster in event history that's softer than the Elmer Marshmallow crew.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Lol

And after predicting a 100 pt season and the team hitting rock bottom what does Jim do....signs an overpriced free agent in Eriksson and then immediately watches his experiment have an even worse disaster of a season. Saving face finally at the deadline by finding ways to move declining assets for prospects.

Honestly why there is such a heater argument in his favour eacapes me
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Lol a harder team to play against, more like a harder team to watch. The team has less grit and tenacity than any of the Gillis rosters. I honestly can't think of an NHL roster in event history that's softer than the Elmer Marshmallow crew.
LOL I know eh?

Yet when the team or anyone in cyber world suggests trying to trade for a big power forward type player, it's automatic reply 'nope! that canuck player wouldn't fetch such a type.'

It is why it's imperative you, UDL, IN, Mickey and all the old school rock em sock em types HOPE this current team improves this season, so as this team can 'create' valued assets to deal for your beloved gritty/tenacity/size type players who have some skill.

We all are fans of the Canucks team through thick & thin, but we need to have some cohesive thoughts on how to improve the team besides the non-stop attacking of management & the relentless hatred on Sutter and Eriksson.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.