Canucks at the Quarter Point

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Arachnid
CC Legend
Posts: 6192
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin
Contact:

Re: Canucks at the Quarter Point

Post by Arachnid » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:51 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Slowly some of the less fortunate have moved from their McDavid fantasies to "Said all along: bubble team".

:roll:

But the Great Strangelove has never wavered (true, there were a few other playoff-predictors).
Arachnid wrote: No one predicted they would be where they are right now. No one.
Well the Great Strangelove raised the possibility of going "from the outhouse back to the penthouse" a few times.

(that's probably why they call him "Great"!) :thumbs:

There were a few telling you less fortunate Tank-it folk that the Canucks would make the playoffs.

You are guilty of not listening then and you are guilty of being in denial now.

This is the verdict:

Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.

- John 3:19


REPENT YE FROM THOU WICKEDNESS!!!

Arachnid on Wed Sep 24, 2014 wrote:I will cheer for them to lose
:scowl:
*snickers*

How do you unknot your panties? :devil:

Where's your report card? Hmmmmmmmmm bible thumper?!

Thas wot I thought, all air and no substance :drink:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

Sticky
CC Veteran
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Canucks at the Quarter Point

Post by Sticky » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:56 pm

A very wise poster on a recent game day thread made the point that to pass the "mustard" test, the Canucks would have to consistently beat LA, Anaheim, Chicago, and St. Louis... I agree that would be a very good indication of the strength of the team. Those four teams are definitely "for real", or at least the wise poster estimates them to be so.

To the quarter mark in the season, here is the record of the Canucks against those teams, as well as each of those teams' record against the other three "for real" teams...

1. Vancouver 3-1-1 with 7 points, and 2 ROWS
2. Anaheim. 3-2-1 with 7 points, and 2 ROWS
3. Kings 2-1-1 with 5 points and 1 ROW
4. Blues 2-1-1 with 5 points and 2 ROWS
5. Hawks 2-2-0 with 4 points and 2 ROWS

Sheeeeite!

The Canucks have a better record against the "for real" teams than any of them do against the same competition!

That poster is correct when he considers that evaluation should happen at the end of this long road trip though.
And should they come out with a good result on this trip... Then hell... You don't really get a good "real" picture of the team until the new year, right?

I jest a little, of course... I wouldnt bet more than a day's pay on the Canucks chances of beating any of those teams in a series(and that would only be if I got good odds). But it has been one of the most fun quarter seasons to watch in some time for this poster.

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 15120
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks at the Quarter Point

Post by Hockey Widow » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:36 pm

^^^^

Nicely done!

I expect good things from this road trip. Even though it is a long one, to me, they should come away 5-2, 4-3 at the worst.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 11060
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Canucks at the Quarter Point

Post by Topper » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:50 am

Sticky wrote:A very wise poster on a recent game day thread made the point that to pass the "mustard" test, the Canucks would have to consistently beat LA, Anaheim, Chicago, and St. Louis... I agree that would be a very good indication of the strength of the team. Those four teams are definitely "for real", or at least the wise poster estimates them to be so.

To the quarter mark in the season, here is the record of the Canucks against those teams, as well as each of those teams' record against the other three "for real" teams...

1. Vancouver 3-1-1 with 7 points, and 2 ROWS
2. Anaheim. 3-2-1 with 7 points, and 2 ROWS
3. Kings 2-1-1 with 5 points and 1 ROW
4. Blues 2-1-1 with 5 points and 2 ROWS
5. Hawks 2-2-0 with 4 points and 2 ROWS

Sheeeeite!

The Canucks have a better record against the "for real" teams than any of them do against the same competition!

That poster is correct when he considers that evaluation should happen at the end of this long road trip though.
And should they come out with a good result on this trip... Then hell... You don't really get a good "real" picture of the team until the new year, right?

I jest a little, of course... I wouldnt bet more than a day's pay on the Canucks chances of beating any of those teams in a series(and that would only be if I got good odds). But it has been one of the most fun quarter seasons to watch in some time for this poster.
Butt that paints a rosier picture than reality.

Separate OT wins from regulation wins and calculate the point differentials between those gained, and those surrendered.

Doing so through last night
Vancouver +2 points, 5 games,
Anaheim -2 points, 7 games
LA +1 point, 5 games
Chicago -2 points, 5 games

Gotta love three point games some nights, two pointers on others. :?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Sticky
CC Veteran
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Canucks at the Quarter Point

Post by Sticky » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:06 pm

Topper wrote:
Butt that paints a rosier picture than reality.

Separate OT wins from regulation wins and calculate the point differentials between those gained, and those surrendered.

Doing so through last night
Vancouver +2 points, 5 games,
Anaheim -2 points, 7 games
LA +1 point, 5 games
Chicago -2 points, 5 games

Gotta love three point games some nights, two pointers on others. :?
if I'm reading your method correctly, it still show the Canucks as the best of that bunch in terms of that stat?

I like that method... Takes all competition to date into consideration, and show a more precise picture of where the team is at. (Although obviously each of the teams has faced different competition to this point)

As an aside, I wanted to show as close to an apples to apples comparison (in terms of competition) as I could. As much as I dislike the "rose colored glasses" approach, I often wonder if there has been a fire sale on shit colored shades at the local Walmart.

I am sick of the extreme parity caused by three point games, and would like to see all games have equal worth, but that is just not the reality that we live in.

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 11060
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Canucks at the Quarter Point

Post by Topper » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:54 pm

Sticky wrote:
Topper wrote:
Butt that paints a rosier picture than reality.

Separate OT wins from regulation wins and calculate the point differentials between those gained, and those surrendered.

Doing so through last night
Vancouver +2 points, 5 games,
Anaheim -2 points, 7 games
LA +1 point, 5 games
Chicago -2 points, 5 games

Gotta love three point games some nights, two pointers on others. :?
if I'm reading your method correctly, it still show the Canucks as the best of that bunch in terms of that stat?

I like that method... Takes all competition to date into consideration, and show a more precise picture of where the team is at. (Although obviously each of the teams has faced different competition to this point)

As an aside, I wanted to show as close to an apples to apples comparison (in terms of competition) as I could. As much as I dislike the "rose colored glasses" approach, I often wonder if there has been a fire sale on shit colored shades at the local Walmart.

I am sick of the extreme parity caused by three point games, and would like to see all games have equal worth, but that is just not the reality that we live in.
I should have included the table I used for calculating the #'s.
Regulation win = 2 pts
OT/SO win = 1 pt
Regulation loss = -2 pts
OT/SO loss = -1 pt

They are conference rivals and when it comes to fighting for spots, games that end in regulation have a 4 point swing, overtime and shootouts have a 2 point swing.

The table showed Vancouver is only a regulation win to the good, OT wins and losses are a wash at one of each.
Anaheim is one regulation loss to the bad and while OT is a wash, they have had four games go to OT.
LA has one regulation win and a regulation loss and again suffers from 3 games in OT being one to the good.
Chicago's games have all finished in regulation and is one to the bad.

It shows what a fragile balance it is. If a team manages to string together a couple of regulation wins against the others in the group it can separate itself.

It also shows Vancouver is in the mix with those teams, which was your original point. I don't see Vancouver as better though.

Adding in goal differential may also be interesting as it could highlight hard fought close games and blowouts.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1081
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:07 am

Re: Canucks at the Quarter Point

Post by damonberryman » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:14 pm

The team played a good road game last night in DC and showed its resiliency in coming back after giving up a two goal lead. I do like what I am seeing with each line taking turns to score. This seems a lot different from last year.

ESQ
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2551
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Canucks at the Quarter Point

Post by ESQ » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:13 pm

Obviously
Hockey Widow wrote: I expect good things from this road trip. Even though it is a long one, to me, they should come away 5-2, 4-3 at the worst.
Obviously the road trip at 3-3-1 wasn't what we had hoped - I think most of us expected them to get more than a single point from Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal.

But, the good news is the Canucks have played the most road games, and two key Pacific rivals have a lot of road games coming up (Anaheim and LA).

The other bit of good news is that nobody below the Canucks in the standings has gained any ground through this difficult stretch.

ESQ
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2551
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Canucks at the Quarter Point

Post by ESQ » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:08 pm

Bumping this -

Interesting to see who stayed more or less consistent throughout the year. This was pulled at a time that the Canucks were flying high in 1st overall in the league. They obviously dropped to 10th in the NHL.

What's interesting is that the Sedins, Vrbata, Matthias, Horvat, Hansen and Dorsett basically maintained their scoring pace from the start of the year. What dropped enormously was the second-line production, particularly Bonino and Higgins.

The PK and PP both improved, but faceoffs got worse throughout the year. The PP didn't actually start improving until the end of the year though, and was consistently bottom-half of the league for the most part.

The Canucks' vastly improved record against the California teams was one of the biggest factors in the turnaround from last season (17-9-5 vs 12-13-4).

I have to wonder if the Bonino line had gone on a couple more hot streaks, if that might have pushed the Canucks a little higher in the standings? It might not have been enough of a difference to unseat Anaheim, but it could have translated to a few more wins.

Post Reply