Ference 3 games

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Ference 3 games

Post by donlever » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:54 am

What a league...
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!

herb
CC Legend

Re: Ference 3 games

Post by herb » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:01 am

What the fuck.

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:09 am

As I was continually yelling at the Montreal game on Thursday......

BUUUUULLLLLLSHIT......BUUUUUUULLLLLLSHIT....... :hmmm:

Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:10 am

I was half expecting nothing, such is my lack of faith with the NHL and their "department of player safety".

3 games is fine. When Burrows was suspended I thought it was too much...but if the league is going to give headshots 3 games then ok. Volchenkov got 4 games for his headshot, btw.

wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:32 am

I was expecting 3+ myself as its looks pretty clear cut on the replays. I guess DPS is putting the most emphasis on whether or not the person is injured or not.

Had Kassian gone to the quiet room and missed a period it might have been a bigger suspension.

Injury > intent + point of contact + established history.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:01 am

No problem with it.

I suggest those who want to bitch, go to the NHL site and look through the Educational Videos (right sidebar to the Ferrance/Kassian video).

Burrows was a pick from an odd angle that never was going to hit body and resulted in an injury. Ferrance was square to his man and drive up instead of through with no injury.

Had Kassian been injured, no doubt Ferrance would have been treated harsher.

Remember, injury is a factor that must be taken into consideration. That is defined in the CBA.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:47 pm

Topper wrote:No problem with it.

I suggest those who want to bitch, go to the NHL site and look through the Educational Videos (right sidebar to the Ferrance/Kassian video).

Burrows was a pick from an odd angle that never was going to hit body and resulted in an injury. Ferrance was square to his man and drive up instead of through with no injury.

Remember, injury is a factor that must be taken into consideration. That is defined in the CBA.
This is exactly what I hate. Ferance who had all the intention to hurt Kassian with a high hit to his head could get away with only 3 games suspension simply because Kassian is a tough kid who did not lay on the ice for a second. Ribeiro will get nothing because once again Matthias is a tough kid. :evil:

isle_nuck
CC Rookie

Post by isle_nuck » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:58 pm

Jovocop wrote:

This is exactly what I hate. Ferance who had all the intention to hurt Kassian with a high hit to his head could get away with only 3 games suspension simply because Kassian is a tough kid who did not lay on the ice for a second. Ribeiro will get nothing because once again Matthias is a tough kid. :evil:
I used to hate it too, until an old roommate, who is a lawyer, pointed out that our court systems work in a similar manner. There's a direct term or phrase he cited, but the general idea was this: if I beat you with a baseball bat and you died, I go to jail for murder. But if I use that exact same bat on someone else in the exact same way and they walk away with barely a scratch, I get a slap on the wrist. Basically it comes down to luck based on the constitution of the victim.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:58 pm

But if you use a gun and shoot four times into a locked door, killing someone, well then.....

Seriously I'm OK with 3 games and there was no injury. Although with Kassian he has the face and stare of a man who looks permanently concussed so it's hard to tell if he is hurt and needs the quiet room.
The only HW the Canucks need

Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:08 pm

Does "past history" have anything to do with suspensions? I think it does...at least it has been cited in the past.

So how does Ferrence get only 3 games...when this is his 3rd infraction. Burrows had zero previous suspensions and he still got 3.

Per
CC Legend

Post by Per » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:13 pm

isle_nuck wrote:
Jovocop wrote:

I used to hate it too, until an old roommate, who is a lawyer, pointed out that our court systems work in a similar manner. There's a direct term or phrase he cited, but the general idea was this: if I beat you with a baseball bat and you died, I go to jail for murder. But if I use that exact same bat on someone else in the exact same way and they walk away with barely a scratch, I get a slap on the wrist. Basically it comes down to luck based on the constitution of the victim.
Right. If you only look at intent and action while ignoring outcome, every one booked for drunk driving should serve time for manslaughter. I mean, it's just pure luck they didn't kill anyone, and that shouldn't influence the sentence, right? :drink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

isle_nuck
CC Rookie

Post by isle_nuck » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:19 pm

Per wrote:
isle_nuck wrote:
Jovocop wrote:

Right. If you only look at intent and action while ignoring outcome, every one booked for drunk driving should serve time for manslaughter. I mean, it's just pure luck they didn't kill anyone, and that shouldn't influence the sentence, right? :drink:
Hey now! I'm not the lawyer (thankfully!). I'm just poorly paraphrasing his words!

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:41 pm

3 games for Attempted Concussion

Per
CC Legend

Post by Per » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:45 pm

No, the lawyer is right. You must take the outcome into consideration.
I was just taking it a little further, showing what might happen if the outcome has no influence on the sentencing.

That being said, I think intent should be the main factor.
The only problem is how to prove what the intent was...

And all things considered, 3 games for Burrows may be a bit harsh, but not unreasonable.
3 games for Ference may be a bit lenient, but not unreasonable. I'm good with this.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:11 pm

Per wrote:No, the lawyer is right. You must take the outcome into consideration.
I was just taking it a little further, showing what might happen if the outcome has no influence on the sentencing.

That being said, I think intent should be the main factor.
The only problem is how to prove what the intent was...

And all things considered, 3 games for Burrows may be a bit harsh, but not unreasonable.
3 games for Ference may be a bit lenient, but not unreasonable. I'm good with this.
What about Ribeiro? No fines or suspension for his elbow to Matthias' head?