Too many centers

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: Too many centers

Post by Aaronp18 »

mathonwy wrote:I've changed the name of the post.
You spelled centre wrong.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Aaronp18 wrote:
:crazy:

Holdon there....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Aaronp18 wrote:
LOL

You're on a roll.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:
LOL

You're on a roll.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Topper wrote: LOL

You're on a roll.
Great!! Gotta give my lawyers a call again??? Frack.

Oh .... wait ..... you said roll.

Carry on!
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Hey assholes. Stop polluting my thread.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

mathonwy wrote:However, I would not be surprised if Vey is shipped out by December if Horvat starts playing well.
Thing is, these two events (Vey and Horvat playing on the same team) are not mutually exclusive because Vey can play wing.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

herb wrote:
mathonwy wrote:However, I would not be surprised if Vey is shipped out by December if Horvat starts playing well.
Thing is, these two events (Vey and Horvat playing on the same team) are not mutually exclusive because Vey can play wing.
I'm guessing that Desjardins will move Vey to the wing and Vey won't be as effective as he is in the center position.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

mathonwy wrote:Hey assholes. Stop polluting my thread.
That's OD's Saturday if he's been a good boy!
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

mathonwy wrote: I see the Kings as the platinum standard organization in the NHL.
Its tough to argue with this, since 2 cups in 3 years says a lot, but I think the Kings have had an awful lot of luck along the way, and are a very mediocre team in the regular season. Fortunately for them, their goalie has found another gear in the playoffs and they've had no injuries in the postseason, which unheard of in the West.

I'd say Vey's biggest problem as a center is just his faceoff skills. The Kings were totally set on the dot last year, with a 1C (Kopitar), 2C (Carter) and two 3Cs (Stoll and Richards). I personally like every other aspect of his game as a center.

The Kings were for sure giving serious consideration to buying out Richards. They may have missed a glorious opportunity for the long-term success of their team, as Richards is not a 2nd line player anymore. Once the decision was made to keep Richards, there was no place for Vey in the long-term.

I think Vey will out-score Richards this year. However, Richards will probably continue to be a far superior faceoff man. He will also be more physical, for what that's worth.

If Vey gets 40 points as a 3rd liner who gets PP time, that is excellent production for that role. If Bonino gets 50 points (which is totally feasible), then our top 3 centres will be producing offense at the same rate as LA's.

So long as they're producing the offense, maybe the poor faceoff % won't really matter.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

mathonwy wrote:
herb wrote:
I'm guessing that Desjardins will move Vey to the wing and Vey won't be as effective as he is in the center position.
Vey shoots Right, and Horvat shoots left. I wonder if that leaves the option for them to play the same line and only take faceoffs on their strong side. I believe that's what AV did with Malhotra and Kesler or Hank for defensive zone faceoffs?
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

mathonwy wrote:Hey assholes. Stop polluting my thread.
I thought this was the Josh Holden appreciation thread...he's a centre! :look:
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

ESQ wrote: Vey shoots Right, and Horvat shoots left. I wonder if that leaves the option for them to play the same line and only take faceoffs on their strong side. I believe that's what AV did with Malhotra and Kesler or Hank for defensive zone faceoffs?
That's a brilliant strategy.

So, just for my edification. If a player shoots right, their strong side is on the right side of the rink.. right?
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

ESQ wrote: Its tough to argue with this, since 2 cups in 3 years says a lot, but I think the Kings have had an awful lot of luck along the way, and are a very mediocre team in the regular season. Fortunately for them, their goalie has found another gear in the playoffs and they've had no injuries in the postseason, which unheard of in the West.
I hypothesize that lot of the injury luck the Kings have had in the post season is attributed to the build and make up of the team from a physical attribute point of view (age, weight and height). I use our cup run as an example.

On paper, we were more skilled than Boston but we couldn't win the battle of attrition due to physical limitations. One could make the argument that Hamhuis (6'1, 209) wouldn't have torn his groin trying to hip check Lucic (6'3,235) if Hammer was 2 inches taller and 10 pounds heavier. Same argument with Mason Raymond 's (6'0, 185) back injury caused by Johnny Boychuk (6'2, 225).

The SC will always be a competition of attrition. The team that lasts the longest will win. At 6'0, 189lbs, I can see Vey getting injured like MayRay did.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Arachnid wrote:Image
Boy, if Holden played like that in the NHL, he probably would of made it. :D