Canucks Training Camp 2014 - News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Canucks Training Camp 2014 - News and Notes

Post by Topper »

He needs more than baby steps this season. The kids in Utica will run him over if he doesn't take strides to improve his consistency.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ukcanuck wrote:what's a thought??

Is that how Elmer Fudd says shot?

A thought in urban slang means a hoe/slut etc. 8-)
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

ukcanuck wrote: In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]
I respect your reply UK. That's a good definition. Ppl know where I stand on the issue and ppl can decide for themselves.

edit: you should consider that when the corner was short a mod, Strange was asked to step up...hardly something a troll would be asked, don't you thought?
Good for him. Maybe he was a clean poster b4 and something happened to him, I dunno. I don't doubt he's a smart guy, but when he acts like a jerk, I feel like I gotta do something sometimes. If he were a mod and he acted the way he does now, it wouldn't be pretty. It'd be a dictatorship with Chairman Strange @ the helm. :lol:

Mëds wrote:Is it just me, or do most of the points that Todd tries to make just come across as pointless? :eh:
Yeah, seems like it was a complete waste of time for me to try to reason with ya. Whatever, moving on.

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Bersnoozi you lose all credibility when you can't call Betamax a troll .
U think I care about credibility? :lol:

Or how about someone saying Balltard in every other thread for years on end . Is that not a form of trolling ?
Sorry man, can't help it if I never liked the guy. :P Just never really saw the big deal with him and never saw what he could bring to help this club.

dangler wrote: I agree KK, hockey talk is what this section of the forum is for. The Troll debate should be in the bar & grill.
Agreed, moving on. :D

mathonwy wrote:Everyone else is just a different type of Canuck fan.
Well said Mathon. :D
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

herb wrote: I'm expecting something like 20g/20a. 40 points on the low end and 50 points on the high end.
Yeah, I think that should be a realistic goal for Kassassian. I was happy with his play last season and thought Torts held him back a bit last season. Hopefully he'll take another step forward this year. :)

Hockey Widow wrote:Hell both he and Bonino like to pass, we could see Burrows with 50 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: jk, jk, jk
I wonder if Jensen might be a good fit on that line. He has a pretty good shot and seems to like to use it. :D
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote: Lucic is a beast. He's a poor man's version of Neely. Goes to the net, protects the puck with his body, throws big hits. But Lucic isn't the best distributor of the puck, he plays a bit more of a head-down game, and he'll never beat anyone with speed or finesse.

Kassian has size, not quite in Lucic's weight class, but he has much better hands, a better sense of the ice, he's probably our 3rd best passing forward behind Hank and Dank, and he's got better wheels than Lucic. Kas might not be able to just bull through any and every defender in his path the way Lucic can, but I think he has more upside. If Kassian fully develops, with his skill set and size, he could become a 70 point power forward.
Sure. And Shinkaruk could be the next Patrick Kane, Horvat the next Bergeron and Demko could be a Vezina goalie. All possible outcomes. Kassian has shown flashes of brilliance and stretches of indifference. It's probably not a question of development with him (he's already quite talented, as you point out), but a question of consistent effort. That's likely between the ears, and is the primary why he's unlikely to hit the lofty goals (top-20 scorer in the NHL) you're setting for him.
kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran

Post by kelowna kanuck »

For sure, the issue with Kassian is for consistent focus, consistent effort, and motivation. Although, the fact that you are playing in the show in front of 18,000 should be motivation enough. I think he needs to make more than a baby step this year, and based on his end of season play, is easily able to do so.
The game is 90% mental, and speaking of mental, he, along with most of the rest, played under Tortorella last year.
Now that's mental.
more cap space!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I see Island Nuck is gonna keep that rope might slack on Kassian this year.

It's time for Zack to take the next step, he's a fucking vet now, pretty much. If he doesn't improve on his inconsistency this year he most likely never will.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

RoyalDude wrote:I see Island Nuck is gonna keep that rope might slack on Kassian this year.

It's time for Zack to take the next step, he's a fucking vet now, pretty much. If he doesn't improve on his inconsistency this year he most likely never will.
I totally agree. I really like Kassian's game when he is going. The coasting is inexcusable though. He is not good enough to take shifts off and still be dangerous. I honestly believe he has not had a coach that understands his persona. I mean in the Media he does not seem like a prima dona. I believe/hope Willie will get Zack's head screwed on straight.

I look at it this way. He has one hell of an opportunity to make his mark on an NHL franchise. But will he?
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

RoyalDude wrote:I see Island Nuck is gonna keep that rope might slack on Kassian this year.

Not that is says much, but I do believe he was more productive in the second half of the season then anyone else on the roster. I think he's earned his top six time, it's just a question of whether he can consistently do anything with it.

This would be his year to put it all together.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Joacim Eriksson sent to Utica...guess Cannata goes to the ECHL or can Utica carry three goalies?

hmm seen this. http://www.uticacomets.com/constructing-an-ahl-roster/
There is no roster limit in the AHL. While the NHL is limited to a 23-man active roster (plus any players placed on injured reserve), there is nothing that prohibits an AHL team from carrying 35 players (except the financial ability to pay all of them). There is no such thing as injured reserve in the AHL, so if a team has a player with a season ending injury, he will simply sit idle on your roster for the remainder of the season.

That being said, there IS a limit that a team can only dress 18 skaters and two goalies in each game, so it doesn’t make practical sense to carry much more than 23 healthy bodies on a roster.

A Veteran Exempt is any player that has played 261-320 professional games in the AHL, NHL or any of the elite leagues in Europe (note that ECHL games do not count against this number).

Technically there is no limit on how many Veterans or Veteran Exempts a team can carry on their roster. But there are restrictions to how many of them can dress in each game.

Veteran rules have no effect on goaltenders.
And then there's the loans
Players on "loan" are players that are signed to contracts by teams, but the signing team is not carrying the player on their main roster and has "loaned" him to a team in another league. Most commonly these are players that are signed to NHL contracts, but the player could not make the NHL team for whatever reason. The NHL team will then usually "loan" the player their AHL team affiliate. Players can also be loaned further down the food chain to ECHL teams.

There is no duration on the normal loan. Players are loaned for the remainder of the season unless later recalled or reassigned yet again. There are some special types of loans like conditioning loans where a player can be temporarily sent to the AHL from the NHL without having to go through waivers, but can only spend a limited number of days in the AHL.
http://ingoalmag.com/general/how-do-the ... rspective/

Given my experience, people often ask what the difference is between leagues, namely the ECHL, AHL, and NHL. The short answer is this: money. To put it in quick perspective, minimum salaries for the 2009/10 season are $400/week plus housing expenses in the ECHL, $36,500 for the AHL, and $500,000 in the NHL.

The long answer is quite complicated. Players in each league are highly skilled: there are plenty of All-Americans and high draft picks who have spent time in the ECHL, with mixed results. In general, ECHL teams are comprised primarily of free-agent players. However, NHL and AHL-affiliations are common; clubs generally loan a handful of players – and almost assuredly a goaltender – to their ECHL affiliate. The goal of NHL teams is to develop players for the AHL team, and hopefully down the road, their big club. However, the goal for ECHL franchises (almost all are privately owned) is to win hockey games and make money, and as such, putting the best team possible on the ice is in their best interest.

From a personal standpoint, I’m glad that I spent the better part of two seasons in the ECHL before moving up to the AHL on a full-time basis. I got a chance to play for an outstanding team in Las Vegas, something that is invaluable in furthering a career.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

RoyalDude wrote:If Kassian doesn't take a step this year, he never will. He's had plenty of time to get his house in order. The kid gloves are off. The tools are there but the toolbox may not be. We will soon see.
Kid gloves are off? Any other coach last year & he would have been top 6 and a regular on the PP. It's not saying much, considering the season was a total gongshow, but he was one of our top forwards in the 2nd half. One might say that's quite a step because he was consistent. He certainly earned promotion to the 2nd line for this year.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

BurningBeard wrote:

Not that is says much, but I do believe he was more productive in the second half of the season then anyone else on the roster. I think he's earned his top six time, it's just a question of whether he can consistently do anything with it.

Exactly. He still has to prove he can do it over a full season...but the haters will hate. All this negativity towards the kid is unwarranted. A vet? Not quite. He's only 2 seasons removed from being a rookie. Understandable why players like this drive some coaches nuts but Torts wasn't fair to him based on his improved play. At some point that has to be rewarded. Hopefully Willy is the right fit to bring him to another level.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: edit: you should consider that when the corner was short a mod, Strange was asked to step up...hardly something a troll would be asked, don't you thought?
Good for him. Maybe he was a clean poster b4 and something happened to him, I dunno. I don't doubt he's a smart guy, but when he acts like a jerk, I feel like I gotta do something sometimes. If he were a mod and he acted the way he does now, it wouldn't be pretty. It'd be a dictatorship with Chairman Strange @ the helm. :lol:
For the record, I am and have been a mod for 3 months now.

As a matter of fact, twas I who took it upon himself to ban your good pal Betamax.

How "pretty" is that! :thumbs:

"when (someone) acts like a jerk, I feel like I gotta do something sometimes"

:hmmm:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Bersnoozi you lose all credibility when you can't call Betamax a troll .
U think I care about credibility? :lol:

Okay, stop your goddamned fucking trolling and get back on topic before I lose my FUCKING temper!!

MMMMMMMKAY?? :twisted:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ClamRussel wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:

Exactly. He still has to prove he can do it over a full season...but the haters will hate. All this negativity towards the kid is unwarranted. A vet? Not quite. He's only 2 seasons removed from being a rookie. Understandable why players like this drive some coaches nuts but Torts wasn't fair to him based on his improved play. At some point that has to be rewarded. Hopefully Willy is the right fit to bring him to another level.
Summed up my thoughts completely.

I think this "negativity" stems from the fact Kassian has not done much this preseason.

I think folks are overlooking the fact he has been struggling with an undisclosed injury.

Truth is, in our last 30-40 REAL NHL games, Kassian has been perhaps our best forward.

The bedwetters should find another whipping boy IMMO (In My Mod Opinion). :evil: :twisted: :evil:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

So how is Cal O'Reilly still w/ the big club, has he been that good? Interesting that he & Jensen are listed on the roster but Shinkaruk & Horvat aren't. They've updated it by removing Eriksson. I must admit I don't know much abo O'Reilly, other than he played well in Utica last yr and has had a few cups of java in the show.