The Official Dave Ayres CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

olpaddy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by olpaddy »

I don't understand the fuss...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

olpaddy wrote:I don't understand the fuss...
Well the suggestion is that the Toronto Maple Leaves may be destroying the careers of some players

... in an effort to "cheat" their way up the standings.
____
Try to focus on someday.
olpaddy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

Strangelove wrote:
Well the suggestion is that the Toronto Maple Leaves may be destroying the careers of some players

I think that's stretching it a bit that Joffery Lupul's career is being destroyed by the leaves... I think as much this issue has been brought to the fore cause of the team in question this is a League issue thats been going on for years.. With all due respect to the snowboarder in question where is everyone visceral outrage when Chris Pronger gets his rights traded on trade deadline day 2 years in a row 4 yrs after he plays his last game while working in the League office NOT ONE TEAM not involved in those Pronger deals got upset I don't recall any moral outrage... Marc Savard at home with his blinds closed sitting in the dark only to be told his rights have been traded to the Panthers...

Or closer to home Mike Gillis telling the world Malhotra can no longer play cause its to dangerous for the player when in essence the player played a couple of more seasons after being squeezed out here...

The only thing in danger was the Canucks Cap situation and Malhotra paid the price, And truth betold I always found it a tad SKETCHY and rather convenient that Sami Salo ruptured his Achilles playing floor hockey in the summer of the Cup Run which, allowed us to keep Juice whom, it was widely speculated on given the cap ramifications would of been the odd man out... Cause the Canucks were OVER THE CAP and would have to get under... Hey Sami It Mike calling can you do us a solid and take most of the year off until this dust settles and come back then Here's a couple bucks for your troubles see ya in the New year thanks...

The leaves are not the first team to fuck a player over to get ahead and use the system to their advantage and they sure as hell won't be the last...
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

olpaddy wrote:
The leaves are not the first team to fuck a player over to get ahead and use the system to their advantage and they sure as hell won't be the last...
Nope, they won't. But they are the most hated - in my house, at least.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Tciso wrote:
olpaddy wrote:
Nope, they won't. But they are the most hated - in my house, at least.
Not the first and won't be the last. My outrage is against the whole practice. It's cap manipulation through and through.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Meh ... who cares ? The Canucks are five years from competing and I would hope that Aquilini would do the same thing with Sutter and Louis if for some reason the Canucks are competitive while these two slugs are under contract and the team is making good profit.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Meh ... who cares ? The Canucks are five years from competing and I would hope that Aquilini would do the same thing with Sutter and Louis if for some reason the Canucks are competitive while these two slugs are under contract and the team is making good profit.

Well if they are competitive in five years you won't have to worry about their contracts so why worry now?
The only HW the Canucks need
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Strangelove wrote:

I'd argue the leaves saved Lupul's career. Did you see him on the 4th line in Anaheim? He gets traded to Toronto, plays with Kessel on the first line and gets a huge contract from them after going PPG for awhile. His career was in shambles before he came to the leaves. He might have been out of hockey long ago.

Steve Simmons is suggesting Lupul did something really bad and the leaves have kept it quiet AND paid his 10 million.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

BigTuna wrote:
Steve Simmons is suggesting Lupul did something really bad and the leaves have kept it quiet AND paid his 10 million.
Pledged allegiance to the crusty cornflake of despair?
If you need air...call it in
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I'd argue the leaves saved Lupul's career. Did you see him on the 4th line in Anaheim? He gets traded to Toronto, plays with Kessel on the first line and gets a huge contract from them after going PPG for awhile.
And yet, the brilliance of the leaf management decided to still give Lupul that contract....
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Madcombinepilot wrote:
I'd argue the leaves saved Lupul's career. Did you see him on the 4th line in Anaheim? He gets traded to Toronto, plays with Kessel on the first line and gets a huge contract from them after going PPG for awhile.
And yet, the brilliance of the leaf management decided to still give Lupul that contract....
The mistake was hiring a guy who was previously employed as the Canucks GM.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

olpaddy wrote: With all due respect to the snowboarder in question where is everyone visceral outrage when Chris Pronger gets his rights traded on trade deadline day 2 years in a row 4 yrs after he plays his last game while working in the League office NOT ONE TEAM not involved in those Pronger deals got upset I don't recall any moral outrage... Marc Savard at home with his blinds closed sitting in the dark only to be told his rights have been traded to the Panthers...
The difference is no one said Pronger/Savard were fit to play

Lupul is saying he's fit to play.

Do you see the difference?
olpaddy wrote: Or closer to home Mike Gillis telling the world Malhotra can no longer play cause its to dangerous for the player when in essence the player played a couple of more seasons after being squeezed out here...

The only thing in danger was the Canucks Cap situation and Malhotra paid the price
Ahhh but your Vancouver Canucks never received a Cap benefit after Gillis shut Manny down!

Manny went on the IR... not the LTIR.
olpaddy wrote: And truth betold I always found it a tad SKETCHY and rather convenient that Sami Salo ruptured his Achilles playing floor hockey in the summer of the Cup Run which, allowed us to keep Juice whom, it was widely speculated on given the cap ramifications would of been the odd man out... Cause the Canucks were OVER THE CAP and would have to get under... Hey Sami It Mike calling can you do us a solid and take most of the year off until this dust settles and come back then Here's a couple bucks for your troubles see ya in the New year thanks...
REALLY??

Salo never actually ruptured his Achilles Tendon?!!

Talk about a "reach"! :lol:
olpaddy wrote: The leaves are not the first team to fuck a player over to get ahead and use the system to their advantage and they sure as hell won't be the last...
True, but since Lou arrived, they have set a record for allegedly fucking players over.

Note that I have referenced Leaves alleged mistreatment of many players above, not just Lupul.

And lest we forget the alleged major fucking over of one Mike Peluso when Lou was in Jersey.

EDIT: Also in Joisey, Lou fucked Mogilny and Malakhov HARD.

He signed Almo to a 2-year $7M contract in 2005.

Then, after scoring 25 points in 35 games, Lou sent him to the minors for the rest of the season.

Why? Because he needed the cap-room for Elias, who was returning from injury.

(entire cap-hit of players sent down came off the books in those days)

Mogilny played the rest of the season for the River Rats... and then retired.

Obviously part of Lou's evil plan was to force Mogilny into retirement.

As for Malakhov, Lou told him they didn't want him on the team any longer.

Told him they wanted to trade him, asked if he would he please waive his NTC.

Malakhov agreed... Lou immediately assigned him to the River Rats.

Malakhov asked for a leave of absence.

Lou denied said leave and announced Malakhov had retired from the NHL.

E V I L

Also note, at an opportune time for the Devils (cap-recapture penalty came in)

... Kovalchuk retired from the NHL, walking away from $77M in guaranteed money.

Gee I wonder what possessed him to do that...

There are other stories from New Jersey, culminating in the

"Lou stripped of GM duties due to the fact too many players hated him" story.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Meh ... who cares ? The Canucks are five years from competing and I would hope that Aquilini would do the same thing with Sutter and Louis if for some reason the Canucks are competitive while these two slugs are under contract and the team is making good profit.

Well if they are competitive in five years you won't have to worry about their contracts so why worry now?
The point is(was) that maybe they could be more competitive earlier if they didn't have these garbage contracts to lug around. I'd hope the Aquilinis would do the same thing is my point
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BigTuna wrote: Steve Simmons is suggesting Lupul did something really bad and the leaves have kept it quiet AND paid his 10 million.
So you're suggesting they blackmailed Lupul into going along with their little scheme?
____
Try to focus on someday.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

[quote="Strangelove"][quote="BigTuna"]
Steve Simmons is suggesting Lupul did something really bad and the leaves have kept it quiet AND paid his 10 million.[/quote]

So you're suggesting they blackmailed Lupul into going along with their little scheme?[/quote]
Paying someone 10 million AND protecting his reputation is blackmail I guess?