The Official Dave Ayres CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I don’t think Sweet Lou thought the rebuild was over. He knows the defence sucks, but what options were there for him at the deadline? You going to hand over Marner or Nylander for a top end D man?

I think leaves management has done a pretty solid job of rebuilding that team over the last three or four years. It isnt just getting lucky with Mathews. They have a lot of organizational depth
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:40 pm I don’t think Sweet Lou thought the rebuild was over. He knows the defence sucks, but what options were there for him at the deadline?
Well he shouldn't have gotten himself into that predicament.

He shouldn't have thrown all that money and term at Zaitsev.

He should've sold high on Gardiner a year ago.

Bringing in Hainsey to play top pairing minutes at his age?

(he wore down and was shite towards the end of the season)

And Polak? :lol:

He should have saved some of that money he spent on Old Man Marleau for a dman.

Etc...
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:40 pm They have a lot of organizational depth
Not really, I don't see any down-the-line future impact NHLers at the moment.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I agree with most of what you said but I like both Liljegren and Dermott.

They got a couple good young forwards on the Marlies too.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Liljegren didn't have a good season and Dermott has been extremely sheltered in the NHL.

There is no guarantee on either of these guys.

The best forwards on the Marlies are 29 and 32 years old (Smith and Mueller)

... and then there's the 23-year-old 7th-round shrimp Johnsson.

I think he might be another Linden Vey (similar AHL numbers at that age).

Then there's that smurf Koncussion Kapanen (AHL/NHL tweener ATM)

... I dunno, he's prone to brain farts and hasn't proven he can he can bring his game to the NHL yet.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Like I said, the leaves have some very good pieces. But tanking for Matthews and actually winning the lottery was and is huge for that franchise. Take him away and they aren’t so good.

Compare that to Winnipeg who drafted Laine but they are very deep in all positions without him.

Again they have some good pieces but have neglected the D and continue the tradition of signing second rate goalies. Ok average to sometimes above average.

I think the leaves can be fun to watch and have good young players, few prospects of note left as the good ones are on the leaves. But I don’t see them as a top team in the NHL. Ya they got 100+ points. So did we three years ago.
The only HW the Canucks need
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Where is Tuna?

Did someone stir the tank he lives in?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Reefer2 wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:03 am Where is Tuna?

Did someone stir the tank he lives in?
Your ex wife.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

http://leafshub.com/what-went-wrong/
After a season where much was expected from this team to take another big step forward in their development, it feels like the leaves took a step back during their series against the Boston Bruins.

There were many factors that played into the leaves making another first round exit. While there was hope when they came back down from 3-1 in the series, it wasn’t enough.

Let’s take a look at what went wrong during the series.
- They lack physicality, as in the playoffs the intensity goes up.

- Defense is their Achilles heel.

With JVR, Bozak, Pleks, Komarov all UFA's, I think they attempt to sign Tavares and/or Jack Johnson, maybe Carlson.

If that fails imo they'll probably re-sign Bozak for their 3rd line center and for defense if they can't sign any big UFA's, then they'll look into trading for a once crispy Chris Tanev.

Also sounds like they gonna sign Par Lindholm according to Chris Johnston.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:19 am With JVR, Bozak, Pleks, Komarov all UFA's, I think they attempt to sign Tavares and/or Jack Johnson, maybe Carlson.
It gets extremely complicated, but the Leaves can't afford any more than $8-9M total on long-term contracts right now.

(mostly due to Matthews/Marner's next contracts)

Also they'd need to avoid placing Horton on LTIR next season to avoid ELC bonuses tacked on to 2019-20.

And even at that, they'd then be committed to replacing Gardiner + Hainsey after next season with ELC players.

So they likely can't afford Tavares (without shipping out players they actually need).

But it's that dee they need to work on (especially if they're going to sign a LTC and let Gardiner + Hainsey walk).

I guess they could afford Carlson (barely) but what are the odds Carlson chooses the Leaves of all teams?

SKYO wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:19 am If that fails imo they'll probably re-sign Bozak for their 3rd line center and for defense if they can't sign any big UFA's, then they'll look into trading for a once crispy Chris Tanev.
Tanev would be perfect for them but Lou wasn't willing to pay the price.

Proven chemistry with Rielly, Toronto boy... should be an easy re-sign in 2 years.

Also his relatively low cap-hit would allow the Leaves to bring in another decent long-term guy.

Maybe Dumbass will pay GMJB's price?

If I were the TO GM... and I liked the Leaves... I likely would (doubt Jim is asking for Matthews).

SKYO wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:19 am Also sounds like they gonna sign Par Lindholm according to Chris Johnston.
He'll be 27 by puck drop, doubtful he's an NHLer at this point...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:19 pm Bah, the Leaves played in the weakest division in the league this year.
I was just thinking...

4 of the top 6 overall draft spots are going to teams in the Leaves division.

Draft well Sens, Sabres, Wings, and Habs...
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:40 pm You going to hand over Marner or Nylander for a top end D man?
They have a lot of organizational depth
If they had organisational depth, they'd use it to fix the deficiencies in the team by trading Marner or Nylander.

Instead they have 2 good young forwards, an excellent young center, and a shite D and non-clutch goaltending. If they're confident in their org depth, they'd use it to get the pieces they need, instead of praying a KHL signing turns into a stud D.

For depth, see Nashville trading away Seth Jones and still coming out ahead.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Anderson - playoff choke artist. The Ducks are laughing “see I told you so” and say thank you Toronto for Sam Steel and Maxime Comtios

Oh and that defence - LMAO

Back to the drawing board you go - Shitahan

Oh! Is there trouble in Babcock/Matthews paradise! Stay tuned

The Jets.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 4:49 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:40 pm You going to hand over Marner or Nylander for a top end D man?
They have a lot of organizational depth
If they had organisational depth, they'd use it to fix the deficiencies in the team by trading Marner or Nylander.

Instead they have 2 good young forwards, an excellent young center, and a shite D and non-clutch goaltending. If they're confident in their org depth, they'd use it to get the pieces they need, instead of praying a KHL signing turns into a stud D.

For depth, see Nashville trading away Seth Jones and still coming out ahead.
Thanks for the history lesson. Nashville was way deeper than any team has been at any position to make that trade. Maybe fill us in on the offers they have gotten for Marner or Nylander

Their garbage D is also a bit better than the one here
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I don't think they'll get anything good without moving one of Marner or Nylander. They can move around the deck chairs and try to trade their prospects, but those are the only 2 pieces they have to acquire even a Adam Larson-level Dman.

If the Leaves have the confidence in their organisational depth, and that someone on the Marlies or in the system can take their place, then they'd make a deal.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I’m investing in Buffalo Sabre stock and will be liquidating all my positions in Toronto Maple Leaf Hockey

Im all in on Dahlin, Eichel, Mittelstadt, Ristolainen, Reinhart, A. Nylander over the leaves future bigly time. Sabres have a decent prospect pool
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau