The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8354
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by Island Nucklehead » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:24 pm

Most of these guys get bored of the buckbunnies in Junior. It's old hat to them. I'm pretty sure Matthews isn't thinking about the chicks when he ponders the Laffs current offer. His agent has probably already drawn up the contract and it's sitting on Lou's desk. When Lou gets tired of grandstanding they'll sign.

Knucklehead
CC Veteran
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:39 am

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by Knucklehead » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:59 pm

Yes it is up to Lou. The contract has been sitting on his desk since the day of the draft.
Max salary, max bonuses, this is not negotiable!
The question is if he is smart enough to sign it or not.
Then again with the Laughs cap situation they might not be able to sign him until the season starts and Horton, Lupul and the rest of the cripples go on LTIR.

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8354
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by Island Nucklehead » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:02 pm

Knucklehead wrote:Yes it is up to Lou. The contract has been sitting on his desk since the day of the draft.
Max salary, max bonuses, this is not negotiable!
The question is if he is smart enough to sign it or not.
Then again with the Laughs cap situation they might not be able to sign him until the season starts and Horton, Lupul and the rest of the cripples go on LTIR.
Aren't bonus overages able to be carried over to the following year? The Canucks are eating a 300Kish next season for bonuses earned this year. Wouldn't his cap hit be similar to the 925K cap hit of McDavid? The Leaves would be smart to clear $2.5Mish in space so that when (hopefully, for them) he hits his bonuses they can be applied to the recently completed seasons' cap total. IIRC, cap hit only reflects salary, and bonus payments (to the tune of nearly $3M for rookies) are only counted as they are earned.

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 15345
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:15 pm

I think you are correct IN. Bonuses are applied as earned but you can go over the cap for bonuses and they are applied to the next season if you don't have the cap space in the current year. The exception to this is in the final year of the CBA where a team needs the cap space to cover potential bonuses earned in that final CBA year. I think :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 22768
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by Strangelove » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:08 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote: Aren't bonus overages able to be carried over to the following year? The Canucks are eating a 300Kish next season for bonuses earned this year. Wouldn't his cap hit be similar to the 925K cap hit of McDavid? The Leaves would be smart to clear $2.5Mish in space so that when (hopefully, for them) he hits his bonuses they can be applied to the recently completed seasons' cap total. IIRC, cap hit only reflects salary, and bonus payments (to the tune of nearly $3M for rookies) are only counted as they are earned.
You're right of course, but the Leaves will be well over the cap after they sign rookies + RFAs + backup.

They will be using LTIR for sure... so all Nylander/Marner/Matthews/Zaitsev bonuses will be overages

(counting against the cap for 2017-18)

Horton/Robidas/Lupul/Cowen... are all possibles for LTIR next season.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8354
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:38 pm

Strangelove wrote: They will be using LTIR for sure... so all Nylander/Marner/Matthews/Zaitsev bonuses will be overages

(counting against the cap for 2017-18)

Horton/Robidas/Lupul/Cowen... are all possibles for LTIR next season.
Maybe we can do them a favour and take JVR off their hands.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 22768
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by Strangelove » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:19 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote: Maybe we can do them a favour and take JVR off their hands.
Lol they still haven't recovered from giving away their best two vets (Kessel + Phaneuf)

(too much term on their contracts sure, but that was their best forward + best dee)

JVR would be the next best vet imho... they need to keep him at this point I'd say.

I see what you're getting at: Perhaps they could slip under the cap enough to cover bonuses?

But I can't see it happening for this coming season... no matter what.

Something like $16.6M tied up in those long-term-injury guys Horton/Robidas/Lupul/Cowen.

Laich/Michalek/Greening... add up to $11M worth of boat anchors.

Even if they were to dump one of Kadri/Bozek (not so easy to do imo) they'll still end up over-cap.

After the 2016-17 season they'll have a lot more room to maneuver (even with bonus overages).

This year they're stuck.

Andersen is a huge gamble (5 Xs $5M?) and they're going to throw out that shit defense in front of him?

I'm having deja vu all over again.

The pain in Pigtown will continue. :mex:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8354
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:45 am

Strangelove wrote: The pain in Pigtown will continue. :mex:
Surely it will, but I don't think they're concerned. They aren't ready to pull out of the tank just yet. Robidas, Michalek, Laich, Cowen and Greening all come off the cap next year. Lupul, Bozak, Komarov the year after.

Are we prepared for two whole seasons of Tavares to TO talk?

olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 636
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by olpaddy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:35 pm

:mex:
Strangelove wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: Maybe we can do them a favour and take JVR off their hands.
Lol they still haven't recovered from giving away their best two vets (Kessel + Phaneuf)

(too much term on their contracts sure, but that was their best forward + best dee)

JVR would be the next best vet imho... they need to keep him at this point I'd say.

I see what you're getting at: Perhaps they could slip under the cap enough to cover bonuses?

But I can't see it happening for this coming season... no matter what.

Something like $16.6M tied up in those long-term-injury guys Horton/Robidas/Lupul/Cowen.

Laich/Michalek/Greening... add up to $11M worth of boat anchors.

Even if they were to dump one of Kadri/Bozek (not so easy to do imo) they'll still end up over-cap.

After the 2016-17 season they'll have a lot more room to maneuver (even with bonus overages).

This year they're stuck.

Andersen is a huge gamble (5 Xs $5M?) and they're going to throw out that shit defense in front of him?

I'm having deja vu all over again.

The pain in Pigtown will continue. :mex:
It continues to amaze me how U are so plugged into the Blue N White yet repeatedly say U despise them... I mean I Hate the Flames have for most of my life I couldnt tell u nor would I care to find out their Salary Cap situation...

But then again I've never had a Hockey Pool team full of Flames cause I wil never want to cheer for them under any circumstances even for monetary reasons...

U have become the Patty Hearst of B.C professing your Hatred for the enemy but getting a il sweet Lovin from your captors and Robbing Banks...

I got my Eye on U Strangelove, I will expose u for the Leaf Lover that u really are... :D

Coldsteel79
AHL Prospect
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:35 pm

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by Coldsteel79 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:18 pm

It's fun trolling the laughs, what better way than arming yourself with knowledge

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 22768
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by Strangelove » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:53 pm

Coldsteel79 wrote:It's fun trolling the laughs, what better way than arming yourself with knowledge
Truth.

Also, ever hear of this theory: The combined will-power of all those Leaf-haters

... actually causes the Leaves to suck.

Yeah I know... crazy right? :look:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 11098
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by SKYO » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:24 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Strangelove wrote: They will be using LTIR for sure... so all Nylander/Marner/Matthews/Zaitsev bonuses will be overages

(counting against the cap for 2017-18)

Horton/Robidas/Lupul/Cowen... are all possibles for LTIR next season.
Maybe we can do them a favour and take JVR off their hands.
Peaked (or is that piqued) my trade interest 8-) what would that cost?

From the Ducks it seemed like a home run deal for Fowler, wonder why that hasn't happened.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 11098
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by SKYO » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:27 am

Leaves hit with a half a mill ($512,000) cap overage penalty.

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2016/09/ ... olf-event/
As we’ve explained in the past, the use of LTIR relief on Nathan Horton’s contract means that every bonus dollar achieved is over the cap and will be penalized in the form of overages the following season.

This is why Jared Cowen’s grievance arbitration on the pending buyout — no resolution is expected until early-to-mid October — is of significance to the Leaves despite a tonne of LTIR relief available on the contracts of Stephane Robidas, Nathan Horton and Cowen himself. A ruling in Toronto’s favour would allow the Leaves to stay beneath the cap with no use of LTIR relief during a year in which the Leaves stand to have significantly more bonus money to pay out to the likes of Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner and William Nylander, among others.

This is all still infinitely more preferable than having a buyout-proof David Clarkson on the cap at $5.25 million until 2020, of course, but it is an important thing to keep in mind when it comes to LTIR.

The Leaves are now roughly $800,000 over the cap with a 25-man roster that includes Jared Cowen for the time being.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 9597
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by rats19 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:36 am

know your friends
know your enemies better...

knowledge is POWER :drink:
Getting old is not for the young...

User avatar
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 286
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by Rocky Dennis » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:04 pm

BigTuna wrote:
Rocky Dennis wrote:
BigTuna wrote:
rats19 wrote:of course every team minus the top 3 prospects will be lowered..

he is just saying yours would be lowered...THE MOST..hence #31 (vegas inc)
from 1st to 31st is a joke. Of course they wouldn't be anywhere close to last.
What he is saying is the Leaves have 3 strong prospects and after those 3 there's nothing but crap. Which is complete crap.
You know what else is crap? Your 2016/2017 version of the maple Leaves. Raw feces.
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2016/08/ ... announced/

Toronto has the best farm system in the NHL and it isn’t close. Based on my prospect definitions, there are zero reasonable arguments for anyone to even be in the same conversation. Not only do they have a ton of elite talent in players like Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner and William Nylander, but their depth is elite too. There are at least 20 prospects in this system that would fit in many other teams’ top 10.

Only the top 3 my a$$. Connor Brown makes a lot of top 50 NHL prospects.
jive turkey tuna.jpg
jive turkey tuna.jpg (97.97 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
I wasn't referring to the prospects. I was referring to the sad sack NHL team they're going to ice this coming season.....which will be jammed full of those prospects...so maybe I was referring to them after all.

And thanks for the link. Who the hell is Pronman anyways? I see that in the past, Edmonton has ranked first in his rankings. That's got them real far up to this point hasn't it? You see that's the thing about prospects. Until you show something in the show, it's all just a bunch of fluff and hot air. Much like you.
At the other end of the spectrum, late round picks and undrafted players probably don't count for sh*t in these types of prospect analyses. But Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Byfuglien, Giordano, Lundqvist, Pavelski, and countless others all say hi. Point is, using someone else's subjective opinion to prove your point is a bunch of malarkey.

Your team is going to be crap AGAIN this year.

Post Reply