The Official Dave Ayres CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by donlever »

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

This thread is built to be a sandbox for the big boys to kick around the Leave troll.

Ridiculous, boring and beneath what this site is reputed to stand for.

I hate the leaves as much as the next (reasonable) guy but who really gives a fuck about some dude nicked BigTuna, who in the end, is just a fucking Leaves fan for Crissakes.

Regardless I remain but a minor shrub in the grandiose goddamn hockey talk message board world so carry on lads.

:drink:
DeLevering since 1999.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

donlever wrote:ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

This thread is built to be a sandbox for the big boys to kick around the Leave troll.

I hate the leaves as much as the next (reasonable) guy but who really gives a fuck about some dude nicked BigTuna, who in the end, is just a fucking Leaves fan for Crissakes.

Regardless I remain but a minor shrub in the grandiose goddamn hockey talk message board world so carry on lads.

pollution control donny....tha zall.. :mrgreen:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Nice spin rats.

Pollution control would be zapping the guy into oblivion.

This is keeping him around to toy with a la cat and mouse style.

You guys do what you want but let's be honest about it.
DeLevering since 1999.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

There is only so much to talk about Canucks so having a TO discussion is fun.

Calgary was fun at the time but now things changed.

Tuna man is funny, he must spend his entire free time on boards defending his team.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Indeed, the hilarity is palapable.
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

donlever wrote:Regardless I remain but a minor shrub in the grandiose goddamn hockey talk message board world so carry on lads.

Watch out for the big dogs.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Topper wrote:
donlever wrote:Regardless I remain but a minor shrub in the grandiose goddamn hockey talk message board world so carry on lads.

Watch out for the big dogs.

Indeed, I understand they have been know to urinate (or worse) on shrubs.

:look:
DeLevering since 1999.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

donlever wrote:Nice spin rats.

Pollution control would be zapping the guy into oblivion.

This is keeping him around to toy with a la cat and mouse style.

You guys do what you want but let's be honest about it.
Am I that transparent Donny?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BigTuna wrote: Why do the leaves need to keep all of Panik/Winnik and Santorelli? There are cheap replacements available every summer.

It's odd you think that screws them.

And Franson does not need to return either.

There are ways to cut costs you aren't mentioning like trading Reimer and getting a cheaper backup.
Kadri, Santo, and Winnik are Top 7 in icetime among Leaf forwards thus far this season.

They cost $5.7M this year combined... they will cost $10M next season combined.

What "cheap replacements " might be available next season?

Cody Franson is a top-pair defenseman right now on your Leaves.

How do you replace that?

You can't trade Reimer because he's vastly overpaid.

Seriously, do the math!

Show me this fantasy 2015-16 roster of yours... and fit it under a $73M cap.

Your cooperation in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

donlever wrote:ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

We were receiving a lot of complaints about Leaf-talk spilling into various threads.

A lot of it was started by Leaf-haters.

Some of it was started by Leaf-loving Tuna.

So Corn came up with a brilliant way of killing two birds with one stone.

HEY, if we banned Tuna, this thread would still be necessary!

Trust me.

This is an immensely popular thread... and serves a purpose (or two).

If you find it "ridiculous + boring"... well you know the old saying.

And c'mon Lever, we all know you're not just a "minor shrub" in this community. :scowl:

You're a major shrub dude!! :thumbs:

*lifts hind leg*
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hey, we have the Bountiful thread for Flames fan BCExpat + all the Flames-haters in these parts amirite?

There tends to be a lot of chatter about the Flames and a lot of chatter about the Leaves here

... because Canuck fans tend to hate those two teams (hey an Oilers thread might be necessary soon).

There are also those among us who couldn't care less about those two teams.

Those who get severely pissed at all the Flames/Leaves talk.

I think it's a great idea then to contain most of it in a designated thread (or two).

That way, those who love to discuss it, have a place to do so.

And those who despise said discussions can simply NOT CLICK ON THOSE THREADS. :sly:
____
Try to focus on someday.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

I dunno. Did you ever think Santorelli or Winnik would be available? Bottom 6 guys are always available on-the-cheap.

And LOL at James Reimer being so overpaid and untradeable. He's young, already led his team as a starter in the playoffs and has a career 914 save % as a starter on the freaking leaves. Lots of teams would like to get him.

I love how you think every Leaf player can't be traded because they are overpaid. According to you there's no way to shed payroll?

And if the leaves give Franson 6 million per, all you little Canuck fans will be saying what a terrible signing he is. And rest assured, he will get 6 million as a UFA.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BigTuna wrote: I dunno. Did you ever think Santorelli or Winnik would be available? Bottom 6 guys are always available on-the-cheap.
Santorelli and Winnik are playing Top 6 minutes.

Give me some examples of players who can play those kinds of minutes being "available on the cheap".

They got lucky on Santorelli and Winnik, it's not going to happen again.

Actually, flesh me out an entire 2015-16 Leaf roster at $73M that isn't significantly worse than present.
BigTuna wrote: And LOL at James Reimer being so overpaid and untradeable. He's young, already led his team as a starter in the playoffs and has a career 914 save % as a starter on the freaking leaves. Lots of teams would like to get him.
He's been a 1b guy at best and has been trending downwards the past two seasons (.910 sv%).

Also, he is seen in many quarters as an petulant flake.

And haven't you heard:

The market is flooded with goaltenders.

Reimer demanded a trade a few months ago, Leaves tried but were unable to move him...
BigTuna wrote: And if the leaves give Franson 6 million per, all you little Canuck fans will be saying what a terrible signing he is. And rest assured, he will get 6 million as a UFA.
How are the Leaves going to replace this guy?

Their defense is already paper-thin + horrible.

And they will be up against the cap ceiling.
____
Try to focus on someday.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

They did not get lucky at all on Santorelli and Winnik. Both had very good seasons last year. This isn't coming out of nowhere.

My point was that Santorelli and Winnik were signed as bottom 6 guys.

And how am I suppose to answer how they can replace Franson? I have no idea if Franson will ever play like this again. I have no idea whom will be available.

And how do you know the leaves could not trade him? Do you have a link?

Do you predict doom and gloom for all other teams with regards to the cap? How can Ottawa ever get better with the lowest payroll in the NHL?
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

BigTuna wrote:I dunno. Did you ever think Santorelli or Winnik would be available? Bottom 6 guys are always available on-the-cheap.
As a general statement, this is pure bunk.

Some offseasons (think: the ones in which the cap barely raises and the UFA class is deep with legit middle six forwards) this is true. This past season, the 2010 offseason springs to mind, 2009 was another if memory serves.

In other offseasons, (think: the ones in which the cap raises vastly more than most teams require, and the UFA class is either shallow or poor in general) it couldn't be further from the truth. 2008 (Ron Hainsey got $4m+, Sean Avery got $4m+, Ryan Johnson got over $1m, Aaron freaking Voros got a 3 year deal on July 1st, Jason Smith, Brendan Morrison, Owen Nolan all got big contracts, Georges Laracque got a three year deal, you guys signed Hagman to that awful contract), 2011 (Ben Eager with a three year deal, Adam Pardy got $4m over 2 years, the Panthers handed out all those ridiculous deals, Vern Fiddler got a three year deal, Max Talbot got a five year deal, Mike Rupp three years, Joel Ward $12m over four years, Erik Cole and Roman Hamrlik got big money contracts, Ville Leino, Marco Sturm, Eric Belanger.. need I go on?).

2015 is shaping up to be a terrible UFA class, teams have been in the dark about where the cap is going so unless there's a doomsday scenario with the $CAD most will probably have extra money to play with.

If I was a middling NHL forward looking to cash in, I'd take 2015 to hit free agency over a lot of other seasons.

Anyway there's at least one diamond in the rough every year but if you are a fan of a team with middling (at best) management, this is an offseason you probably want them to do as little as possible.