McDavid vs Eichel

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: McDavid vs Eichel

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Looking at the next 2 draft classes - 2015 and 2016 its becoming more clear that the Americans are a power house now. That is fine, it's expected but what concerns me is how small our top forwards are in the next two drafts compared to the Americans. The Canadians seem to not be producing those big guys with elite skill set. Connor McDavid is our biggest forward of Canada's top forward prospects in the next two drafts at 6' - 185 lbs, the rest are shrimps. Apparently the Czechs bitch slapped us in a recent under 18 tourney

The Americans could very well see two of their own getting picked first overall in the next two drafts - Eichel is 6'-1" 200 lbs and the two kids fighting for first overall ranking in 2016 - Matthews is 6'-2" 200 lbs and Kirwin is 6'2" 230 lbs both Americans. This Kirwan is a fucking freak, massive and really skilled. Canada's top ranked forward in 2016 is Bensen who is 5'11" 185 lbs and he is not expected to go top 5. All of Canada's forwards ranked after Bensen are shrimps, just like the 2015 draft, and I mean shrimps. Strome is the biggest top ranked Canadian forward in the 2015 draft at 6'2" 180lbs but isn't expected to go top 10 due to his poor foot speed. If it weren't for the finish beast Laine 6'3" who will be challenging Matthews and Kirwin for 1st overall, the other American forward Max Jones would make top 3 ranked 2016 forwards all Americans, oh yeah Jones is 6'2" 200 lbs

Here is another depressing fact, the top ranked Canadians in the 2016 draft ahead of Bensen are Defenseman - Day and Chychrun, both are born and raised in the states but have dual citizenship and luckily for us chose to play for Canada

The Americans have arrived they captured all 3 golds this year in the under 17, under 18, under 20 tourneys

The under 17 tourney the annihilated everyone. 2015 American Connor White put up insane numbers along with 2016 prospect Kirwin and not to far behind them - Matthews. Connor White is expected to go top 5 in the 2015 draft along with other Americans Hanafin and Eichel. White is the smallest of these up and coming American forwards at 6' - 185 lbs. which is McDavids size.

Like Sutter said at the last WJC's "we are not producing top end elite players like we used to" and Messier recently voicing concerns about the fast falling numbers in kids signing up to play hockey in Canada. The Americans are the exact opposite. Apparently new hockey rinks are popping up everywhere un and around Chicago. They say Illinois is going to be a huge hockey bed soon.

The no. 1 line for the Americans at the next WJC is expected to be Eichel centering 2014 1st round draft picks - Tuch and Milano, whom the 3 of them have shown to have great chemistry. Tuch is 6'4" 220 lbs, Milano is 6'0 200lbs and Eichel is 6'1" 200 lbs. The top drafted American player in the 2014 draft - Larkin will be on the 2nd or 3rd line, he is 6'1" 200 lbs. Throw in Matthews, Kirwan and Jones, the Americans look pretty tough. Our top 6-9 forwards expected in the WJC are all shrimps, its almost a must that Ritchie and Virtanen have to make the team. Dual citizens - Day and Chychrun will have their hands full against their fellow countrymen gigantic, highly skilled forwards. Its gonna be a fun tourney to watch, the Eichel vs McDavid show.

Go Canada
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The sky is falling , the sky is falling !!!!!!!
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:The sky is falling , the sky is falling !!!!!!!
Ha! I new you'd love this great Chef Boi RD observation Beer Guts McKenzies. I'm just irritated that the Americans are producing a lot of highly skilled power forwards and all we can do these days is produce skilled, dipsey doodling shrimps. Also, what is the deal with us not being able to produce goalies anymore? The Americans seem to be killing us in this department lately.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Totally agree about the crappy goaltending Canada has been producing for the past decade. It cost them the WJC in 2010 and 2011. The last three years the teams have just not been good enough and while I think the 2013 team was skilled enough, they didn't play like a team whatsoever.

I am not at all concerned about the U 18 American dominance. This is a midget tournament and MANY of the guys lighting it up at these things never play pro hockey. They have for years been raking medals in that tourney and what has it gotten them ? Three gold medals in 20 years in U 20 and ONE in Mens in best on best. That was in 96 and the winning goal was scored on a high stick that was ear high by a little prick from North Van.

Of course the American kids are bigger at 16- 18. Have you seen what these gluttons to the south consume ? Their cows and chickens are riddled with roids and butter and salt is purchased by the drum in every household down there . 75 % of the women in the states are rocking a chunt for fuck sakes. Bigger is better my friend.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Thanks to some weird Canadian passport quirk for the Belgium born, Detroit raised Sean Day that he could only play for Canada and that Chychrun who was born in Florida, raised in the states but now lives in Canada, chose to play for Canada otherwise the top 6 players in 2016 would be five Americans and one Finn. Tyler Benson is already looking like a product of the classic Canadian hockey prospect overhype machine. 2016 draft class will be one of the worst years for Canada in forwards. It's sadly thin.

I think it's a combination of the US catching up, which was inevitable due to population sizes and Canada's declining numbers in kids signing up to play hockey.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

How much of it is due to the insane costs of hockey now?

I would like to see the difference between minor league costs in America and Canada.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The next two drafts could be big eye openers in the differences on the current state of hockey development between Canada and US

2015 draft could very well see the top 5 North American drafted players being one Canadian - McDavid and 4 Americans - Eichel, Hanafin, White, Bittner and quite possibly - Connor

2016 is the ugly one for Canada, if it weren't for dual citizens - defensemen and raised in the states - Day and Chychrun choosing to play for Canada it would be downright depressing. Americans - Matthews, Kirwan, Jones all appear to be the best forwards coming out in 2016. Benson so far appears to be Canada's best forward but the overhyped kid is falling like a rock and is falling out of the top 10. Another dual citizen kid everyone is waiting to see what country he chooses to play for is Jeff Browns kid - St. Louis raised is - Logan Brown who is 6'-6". Keith Tkachuks kid and Browns kid are expected to go top 10
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Mëds wrote:How much of it is due to the insane costs of hockey now?

I would like to see the difference between minor league costs in America and Canada.
Can't speak to the America vs Canada part, but the cost of hockey isn't that bad - at least for the early years. Hespeler gear packs from Walmart are a great value and totally acceptable quality-wise for the first year-or-two. There's also a constant stream of used gear as you move along. Dues aren't horrendous: $477 for my 6-yr-old for 2-hours on-ice per week for 6.5 months. Baseball is $140 for 2 months, soccer is around $300 for 7 months. From what I hear, the real killers are dance, gymnastics and swimming.

Having said that... I know that locally (Saanich Peninsula, north of Victoria) soccer numbers are the same as last year in the U6-U10 demographic, but the IP program for hockey (U7) has seen an almost 50% drop in enrollment between 2012 and 2014. It's hard to read this without more details, but it seems like people are staying away. I wouldn't think it's cost based on my experience. Maybe it's reputation. Minor hockey continues to be its own worst enemy in terms of publicity.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

RoyalDude wrote:Another dual citizen kid everyone is waiting to see what country he chooses to play for is Jeff Browns kid - St. Louis raised is - Logan Brown who is 6'-6". Keith Tkachuks kid and Browns kid are expected to go top 10
I really don't know how I feel about hockey becoming a "hereditary" sport. It used to be a rare occurrence, but now every draft features the sons and brothers of former or current players. Granted, it's been going on for a long time, but it just seems to be increasing a lot lately.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

RoyalDude wrote:Like Sutter said at the last WJC's "we are not producing top end elite players like we used to" and Messier recently voicing concerns about the fast falling numbers in kids signing up to play hockey in Canada. The Americans are the exact opposite. Apparently new hockey rinks are popping up everywhere un and around Chicago. They say Illinois is going to be a huge hockey bed soon.
Well, maybe the players should look at putting $$ into the Canadian system. No, the NHLPA won't as an association, but, the players should be re-directing some of that $3.5 million back into the system that got them paid.

Or, we can leave it up to Burger King's new Timbits hockey program.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Tciso wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Like Sutter said at the last WJC's "we are not producing top end elite players like we used to" and Messier recently voicing concerns about the fast falling numbers in kids signing up to play hockey in Canada. The Americans are the exact opposite. Apparently new hockey rinks are popping up everywhere un and around Chicago. They say Illinois is going to be a huge hockey bed soon.
Well, maybe the players should look at putting $$ into the Canadian system. No, the NHLPA won't as an association, but, the players should be re-directing some of that $3.5 million back into the system that got them paid.

I'm really not sure they're lacking money - we do live in Canada, and there is plenty of demand. I used to work for a non-profit organization that donated money to many minor hockey associations around the Lower Mainland. The most depressing thing about this was how difficult it was to donate money. Most of them couldn't be bothered to return a phone call. They either have too many parents willing to pay, or they're getting too much money from Tim Hortons. They couldn't be hurting much if they're turning down an offer of free money.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

BurningBeard wrote:
Tciso wrote: Well, maybe the players should look at putting $$ into the Canadian system. No, the NHLPA won't as an association, but, the players should be re-directing some of that $3.5 million back into the system that got them paid.

I'm really not sure they're lacking money - we do live in Canada, and there is plenty of demand. I used to work for a non-profit organization that donated money to many minor hockey associations around the Lower Mainland. The most depressing thing about this was how difficult it was to donate money. Most of them couldn't be bothered to return a phone call. They either have too many parents willing to pay, or they're getting too much money from Tim Hortons. They couldn't be hurting much if they're turning down an offer of free money.
Maybe in your neck of the woods. Here in Saskatchewan, hockey fees are expensive, and of course, equipment is expensive too. We are seeing a boom in Soccer, as it is cheap, cheap, cheap compared to hockey. If the $$ was rolling in, as you say it must be, we would not see the decline in hockey that we are seeing. And, most parents are saying it is because of cost.

Btw, what were the strings attached to the $$???
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Tciso wrote:Maybe in your neck of the woods. Here in Saskatchewan, hockey fees are expensive, and of course, equipment is expensive too. We are seeing a boom in Soccer, as it is cheap, cheap, cheap compared to hockey. If the $$ was rolling in, as you say it must be, we would not see the decline in hockey that we are seeing. And, most parents are saying it is because of cost.

Btw, what were the strings attached to the $$???
Hockey fees are expensive in Vancouver as well, but there are enough parents willing and able to pay.

Near the end, the only string was "tell us where to mail the cheque". We could literally not give the money away.

We ended up giving the majority of our funds away to another local minor hockey non-profit who needed it (they buy ice time for disadvantaged children and teens). The minor hockey associations themselves (Richmond Minor Hockey, etc) seemed uninterested.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

A lot of parents I know don't want their kids playing hockey because of the dreaded c word.

Although, kids get concussions playing soccer and hucking their bikes of sweet jumps too.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Sure a season costs 400-500 bucks now and gear costs another 400-600 bucks but let's not forget high school hockey programs that now cost $1000-1500 per year for day time ice and professional dry land training which can also add up. Oh yeah and 15-20 dollar sticks are now 300 bucks and they snap like twigs.